• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Silver Oak Bistro

tommy

OK, I finally got to Silver Oak for lunch. Pulled pork was very good, steak bistro salad good, meat cooked very rare as asked; homemade potato chips very good, shoestring fries OK, I prefer a thicker cut, but that's just a personal preference. Interesting menu, I would assume from comments here and my experience that all the food is good.

Here's the rub. Call me nit-picking. Call me petty. If I am going to a place that charges in the mid $20s for most entrees, it needs to look pretty spiffy. Silver Oak does not. The biggest turnoff is the filthy door to the kitchen. They need a paint that doesn't show dirt. The walls, have the same paint, and it shows prominently the very poor spackling job underneath.

I think a little wallpaper might go a long way. And a filthy kitchen door in a place such as this doesn't fly. Maybe at a hamburger or hot dog joint, but not here. The surroundings need to be on a par with the quality of food here. Right now they are not.

OK, I finally got to Silver Oak for lunch.  Pulled pork was very good, steak bistro salad good, meat cooked very rare as asked; homemade potato chips very good, shoestring fries OK, I prefer a thicker cut, but that's just a personal preference.   Interesting menu, I would assume from comments here and my experience that all the food is good.

Here's the rub.  Call me nit-picking.  Call me petty.  If I am going to a place that charges in the mid $20s for most entrees, it needs to look pretty spiffy.  Silver Oak does not.  The biggest turnoff is the filthy door to the kitchen.  They need a paint that doesn't show dirt.  The walls, have the same paint, and it shows prominently the very poor spackling job underneath. 

I think a little wallpaper might go a long way.  And a filthy kitchen door in a place such as this doesn't fly.  Maybe at a hamburger or hot dog joint, but not here.  The surroundings need to be on a par with the quality of food here.  Right now they are not.

Thank you Menton, glad you made it. However our Lunch menu at $8 average has very little to do with the Dinner menu. I will make sure to have the staff clean the kitchen door today. I'm in San Francisco all week and did not get a change to "scope the place". As far as decor, there are plenty of restaurants with wallpaper but not many that use top ingredients. We are not “fine dining” and do not pretend to be, Chef Gary is all about “the food”. Hope you get a chance to try the Dinner – I’ll make sure to have the door cleaned. Glad you made it and liked the food, :smile: Mike

Edited by mfeygin (log)

to wallpaper is a purely personal choice. personally i don't like wallpaper. i think it's tacky.

i never noticed anything wrong with the paint or spackle job at SOB. it seemed reasonable to me.

the dirty door, however, jumped out at me when i was in there last week. without a doubt. it's probably one of those things that you don't notice if you're there all the time (you know how when you go to someone's house, you notice all of the pictures are crooked, but you don't notice that your own are crooked?).

i'm sure there are a bunch of options that restaurant people know of, but i'm wondering if a plexi-glass on the bottom half of the door solution is the way to go.

Edited by tommy (log)

to wallpaper is a purely personal choice.  personally i don't like wallpaper.  i think it's tacky.

i never noticed anything wrong with the paint or spackle job at SOB.  it seemed reasonable to me.

the dirty door, however, jumped out at me when i was in there last week.  without a doubt.  it's probably one of those things that you don't notice if you're there all the time (you know how when you go to someone's house, you notice all of the pictures are crooked, but you don't notice that your own are crooked?).

i'm sure there are a bunch of options that restaurant people know of, but i'm wondering if a plexi-glass on the bottom half of the door solution is the way to go.

Thanks Tommy and Menton, I was thinking about an aluminum kick plate, plexy may be a good way to go..thanks for the advice - please keep it coming, will take care of it Saturday. Mike

I think that there are also some high gloss paints that would not show dirt as easily; this may be another option. Waiters kicking the plate may not be to effective, and not very genteel.

Maybe if not wallpaper, some type of painted stencil...

the existence of a "kick plate" doesn't necessarily mean that people will be "kicking" the door. i have a kick plate on the front door of my house. to date, no one has kicked my door. though many have probably considered it.

mike, pick up some stencils and stuff too.

And. as far as fine dining, the pricing seems to me to be in the top 90% of New Jersey restaurants. That's why I have the high expectations about the look of the place. 5 bucks lower per entree average, I might be more forgiving.

Forgot to mention, had to ask for bread with a salad, and it was the reheated stale type. Needs improvement.

the existence of a "kick plate" doesn't necessarily mean that people will be "kicking" the door.  i have a kick plate on the front door of my house.  to date, no one has kicked my door.  though many have probably considered it.

mike, pick up some stencils and stuff too.

kick plate

n.

A protective sheet of metal attached to the bottom of a door. :smile:

And. as far as fine dining, the pricing seems to me to be in the top 90% of New Jersey restaurants.  That's why I have the high expectations about the look of the place.  5 bucks lower per entree average, I might be more forgiving.

Forgot to mention, had to ask for bread with a salad, and it was the reheated stale type.  Needs improvement.

Dear Menton, why are you discussing the Dinner menu pricing when you paid an average $10 for lunch? You are fast to agree with a “critic” on Mouthfuls without even tasting the food – did you know that Chef Gary was out with the Flu on that day (feb 2nd). I ask for you to consider trying the food first. I do not want to question your motivation. Concerned - Mike

And. as far as fine dining, the pricing seems to me to be in the top 90% of New Jersey restaurants.  That's why I have the high expectations about the look of the place.  5 bucks lower per entree average, I might be more forgiving.

Forgot to mention, had to ask for bread with a salad, and it was the reheated stale type.  Needs improvement.

You have not tried the entree to be pricing it!!! :angry:

You have not tried the entree to be pricing it!!! :angry:

Please do not bother. Thanks

Sorry to say that we do not serve bread for lunch. The bread is delivered every day by Nick Gerbino - stale - you must be kidding. Good night.

We went last evening and had another excellent meal and when we left at 8:30 there was not an empty table and people waiting to be seated and

people willing to pay more to get top quality food beautifully prepared and served and not caring about decor which, if I remember correctly is not edible. I for one cannot count how many "beautiful and expensive" rest. we have gone to where the food sucked, the food being the reason to go in the first place and not the glitz as per Harvest Bistro which some peope seem to be so fond of.

Yes, the door had been painted earlier that day (truly a nit-pick from Menton) but what was never mentioned by him (and should have) was the fact that the rest. itself and the kitchen is spotless. A very important factor since IMHO his comment may imply that the rest. itself might have been dirty also.

I would love him to explain where the 90% figure comes from and why 5 bucks makes such a "forgiving" difference to him. Mike questions his motivation. Honestly, so do I.

Edited by Hank (log)

Hank

I feel that I have a pretty discerning palate being among the group called "supertasters" and also I border on being very picky as well since anything bitter or "off" just turns my stomach! That being said I don't give a rats ass about decor MOST of the time, unless it makes the place dark or dreary or it's dirty or smoky (see Kirker's Inn*) - OR if there's bugs/insects or visible filth on eating surfaces or unclean looking utensils.

I assume the restaurant is having an off day or an insanely busy day or a day where the staff are having major problems - and ask them for clean (non spotty etc...) utensils if I get them great, if not I tell myself do not come back and often will take water, put it on my napkin and wipe it down myself to remove the dishwashing spots. Mike obviously DOES pay attention to detail having the door painted/cleaned immediately after hearing about it, that is a sign of an owner who really cares. I love hearing and seeing that in a restaurant.

I love to eat good tasting food and IMHO I consider SOB among one of the best in the Northeast NJ area when it comes to pleasing my palate and I've only been there a half a dozen times. I don't have time to run out during lunch most days.

There are only a few "dine-in" restaurants that I consider tops in taste and/or paying attention to details in the NORTHERN Bergen County Region:

Silver Oak Bistro being among them. Old '76 house in Tappan, The Park Steakhouse, Fortunatos in Lyndhurst, The Porter House in Montvale, The Restaurant in Hackensack, Bhoj in Saddle Brook, and Stony Hill Inn (*Kirker's Inn but the decor is... UGH but the food has an authentic home-made taste and is great 75% of the time - sometimes they just seem to have an off day.) EACH one has a different class, style, pricing and location but they all have one thing in common great serving staff, delicious food (without that "SYSCO" taste or pre-prepared renuked taste) and comfortable seating and atmosphere to talk whilst eating with friends. To me THAT is more important when choosing a good restaurant - call me crazy but maybe other folks don't feel the same way that I do, but I can hope they do.

Goodluck Mike and staff keep up the good work and Mike get back from CA ok? We need you to install a kick butt device... I mean a kick plate or something. :laugh::raz: Have a great April, Passover and Easter month!

Edited by Anonymouze (log)

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

coupla obvious points:

menton doesn't need to eat the food or go for dinner to know what the pricepoint is. it's on the SOB website. it's been discussed here and elsewhere.

while decor may not matter to some, it's naive to think that it's not a factor that is more often than not considered by customers.

the door was dirty/scuffed/whatever. i noticed it. i'm sure others have. certainly not a "nit-pick". menton was not alone. . it's as simple as that. i'm sure mike will agree.

the restaurant stikes me as being quite clean overall.

the bread is simply not very good. it should be better.

menton is an enormous pain in the butt. :raz:

please continue.

coupla obvious points:

menton doesn't need to eat the food or go for dinner to know what the pricepoint is.  it's on the SOB website.  it's been discussed here and elsewhere.

while decor may not matter to some, it's naive to think that it's not a factor that is more often than not considered by customers. 

the door was dirty/scuffed/whatever.  i noticed it.  i'm sure others have.  certainly not a "nit-pick".  menton was not alone. .  it's as simple as that.  i'm sure mike will agree.

the bread is simply not very good.  it should be better. 

menton is an enormous pain in the butt.  :raz:

please continue.

Thank you Tommy - all points are well taken. As far as the bread, is it the bread itself (this is the Gerbinos Semolina bread that I love) or is it the prep - like heating or something overheating it that is the problem? Thanks, Mike

Thank you Tommy - all points are well taken.  As far as the bread, is it the bread itself (this is the Gerbinos Semolina bread that I love) or is it the prep - like heating or something overheating it that is the problem?  Thanks,  Mike

hi mike. the bread might very well be a preference issue: i just don't like that style. however, i will say that i'm of the opinion that bread should *not* be heated. bread should be served warm only if it's fresh coming out of the oven. any reheating generally does nothing but to force out moisture and make the bread stale. while most people think "oooohh, warm bread, good!". i think, "damn, warm bread, it was stale, or it's about to be stale."

give me some (room temp) bread from balthazar or better yet, Sullivan Street Bakery in NYC, and i'm about as happy as i can be. a great bread product need to be served warm. again, maybe this is a just an individual preference.

edited to add the i'm not the owner or chef, and if chef gary wants to serve warm bread then he by all means should!

Edited by tommy (log)

coupla obvious points:

menton doesn't need to eat the food or go for dinner to know what the pricepoint is.  it's on the SOB website.  it's been discussed here and elsewhere.

the door was dirty/scuffed/whatever.  i noticed it.  i'm sure others have.  certainly not a "nit-pick".  menton was not alone. .  it's as simple as that.   i'm sure mike will agree.

the bread is simply not very good.  it should be better. 

menton is an enormous pain in the butt.  :raz:

please continue.

Tommy I have 2 issues with your post.

First of all if you have not tried the food and therefore cannot realize the quality being offered then price point on a web site is completely mute both pro and con.

Secondly, Yes, we often walk into a restaurant for the first time and comment on the decor, both pro and con and it is a plus to sit in nice surroundings. But, when is the last time you heard someone say that they would not go back to a restaurant because they did not like the decor even though they thought the food was very good? Rarely, I would think.

Also, warmed up bread is very subjective. I am on your side on this one but my wife and many friends love it served warm.

Also, you say, jokingly I am sure, that Menton is a pain in the butt. Well, I agree. He really is. :biggrin:

Edited by Hank (log)

Hank

First of all if you have not tried the food and therefore cannot realize the quality being offered then price point on a web site is completely mute both pro and con.

actually, if one assumes the food is very good and knows the pricepoint one can certainly conclude "the place doesn't look as nice as it should for the level of food and pricepoint." that, i believe, is what menton is saying.

actually, if one assumes the food is very good and knows the pricepoint one can certainly conclude "the place doesn't look as nice as it should for the level of food and pricepoint." that, i believe, is what menton is saying.

Tommy, I'm with you on the warming of the bread, however in the beginning we polled our customers and found that almost all preferred it to be heated. I had to give in...LOL . Once we get our convection over operational, Chef will start making his corn bread.

As far as the decor, any new place that we open, we will hire somesone to spackle the walls - not Chef Gary...LOL The door marks will be corrected. Mike

Since all our tastes are different we should not "assume the food to be very good." We have to actually try it for ourselves and to hell with the decor. I wish I (and I presume you too) had a dollar for every time I was IMHO been fooled by posters on this and other sites. And again not to beat a dead horse but the restaurant Tocqueville in lower NY had a zippo decor even though very expensive and yet you had to call weeks in advance for a table on weekends. Many people complained but came back for the wonderful food.

By the way, they recently moved down the street to new and much larger quarters and the decor is now magnificent. I would imagine that they made enough money to put into the decor that they could not do when they originally opened. Hopefully that will happen to Mike and Gary also. They certainly are deserving.

Edited by Hank (log)

Hank

Since all our tastes are different we should not "assume the food to be very good."

hank, i believe you are missing the point.

menton said:

The surroundings need to be on a par with the quality of food here. Right now they are not.

menton here suggests that the food deserves better than the surroundings. (yes, i believe menton thought the food was pretty good. a point that has apparently been lost)

menton went on to say:

the pricing seems to me to be in the top 90% of New Jersey restaurants.  That's why I have the high expectations about the look of the place.

menton here suggests that the price-point isn't exactly low. i agree. he also qualifies his previous statement of why he expected a spiffier looking place. or at least one without huge black marks on the kitchen door.

Mike said:

Dear Menton, why are you discussing the Dinner menu pricing when you paid an average $10 for lunch?

and went on to say:

"You have not tried the entree to be pricing it!!!

i said:

here i pointed out that menton doesn't have to have dinner here to have a valid opinion that the looks of the place don't match the level of food and price-point.

you said:

"First of all if you have not tried the food and therefore cannot realize the quality being offered then price point on a web site is completely mute both pro and con."

i think that's completely and utterly invalid in the context of this discussion, which happens to be focused on menton's thoughts on the level of food/price-point as they relate to the decor. menton *has* tried the food, *does* know the price-point, and has a valid opinion that the food/price-point doesn't match the surroundings.

Edited by tommy (log)

Since all our tastes are different we should not "assume the food to be very good."

hank, i believe you are missing the point.

menton said:

The surroundings need to be on a par with the quality of food here. Right now they are not.

menton here suggests that the food deserves better than the surroundings. (yes, i believe menton thought the food was pretty good. a point that has apparently been lost)

menton went on to say:

the pricing seems to me to be in the top 90% of New Jersey restaurants.  That's why I have the high expectations about the look of the place.

menton here suggests that the price-point isn't exactly low. i agree. he also qualifies his previous statement of why he expected a spiffier looking place. or at least one without huge black marks on the kitchen door.

Mike said:

Dear Menton, why are you discussing the Dinner menu pricing when you paid an average $10 for lunch?

and went on to say:

"You have not tried the entree to be pricing it!!!

i said:

here i pointed out that menton doesn't have to have dinner here to have a valid opinion that the looks of the place don't match the level of food and price-point.

you said:

"First of all if you have not tried the food and therefore cannot realize the quality being offered then price point on a web site is completely mute both pro and con."

i think that's completely and utterly invalid in the context of this discussion, which happens to be focused on menton's thoughts on the level of food/price-point as they relate to the decor. menton *has* tried the food, *does* know the price-point, and has a valid opinion that the food/price-point doesn't match the surroundings.

And I still feel very strongly that food/price point as you call it should have nothing to do with how you perceive the rest. as per the decor vs the PP. It's all about the food man. Menton said that he lliked his lunch and he should have left it at that, told someone in the rest. about the door and not post a nit-pick like that. He also mentions that $5.00 less on the entree's would make him feel differently about SOB. This is not Per Se, JG, Daniel, etc. where you pay hundreds of dollars to enjoy the decor along with the food. And, I am still convinced that my argument is completely and utterly valid and I stick by it. SOB is a jewel of a find and I and I am sure a lot of other people who frequent it couldn"t care a fiddlers **** about the decor. In fact you have gone often, posted about it often and never mentioned the decor so it seems to not have bothered you neither. I mostly enjoy reading your posts but this time I am pissed. How can you defend someone who has gone to a rest. for a $10.00 lunch once and then equates the decor with the food.Please tell me how he can say that the entrees are too high when he has not yet gone for dinner a couple of times, tried them, and then make an opinion as to price versus quality.

Hank