• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Champagne

tryingsomethingnew

That depends on your glass size.

Make mine this size, please.

I would figure 6 glasses/bottle. 150/6 = 25 bottles, or 2 cases +1 bottle.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

It definitely depends on the size of the glass. For "just a toast" (knowing that many folks will sadly merely touch it to their lips and let the waiters take the glasses away and then pour it down the drain :angry: ) I'd serve 2.5-3 oz. per guest so that would mean between 15-20 bottles. If you want to serve a FULL 4-5 oz. glass per person then you'll need between 24 and 30 bottles.

I'd rather pour a miserly toast and have the waiters come around again for those that are actually drinking it. If folks want a refill, great. But the thought of pouring oceans of nice Champagne down a drain somewhere just kills me.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

It definitely depends on the size of the glass.  For "just a toast" (knowing that many folks will sadly merely touch it to their lips and let the waiters take the glasses away and then pour it down the drain :angry: ) I'd serve 2.5-3 oz. per guest so that would mean between 15-20 bottles.  If you want to serve a FULL 4-5 oz. glass per person then you'll need between 24 and 30 bottles.

I'd rather pour a miserly toast and have the waiters come around again for those that are actually drinking it.  If folks want a refill, great.  But the thought of pouring oceans of nice Champagne down a drain somewhere just kills me.

I agree with Katie. Most people will take a sip and go back to drinking what they were before. I have also noticed that the quality of the Champagne does not matter that much either.

Acuardo con mis amigos, perhaps you might consider a french blanc de blanc or some south american or Italian bubbly. Save some dough - same affect. Buy a couple of bottles and see what you like. Its a hell of alot fun. There are worse way to spend some time and money.

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.