• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Next Four-Star Cuisine

At present, the four-star restaurants (as judged by the Times) are French (JG, Daniel, Le B), American (Per Se), or Japanese (Masa). I would add that although Keller is American, there menu at Per Se clearly borrows a lot from the French. On another thread, you mentioned that the new Batali/Bastianich venture, Del Posto, is gunning to be the first four-star Italian restaurant.

Is there another cuisine for which you can envision someone taking that kind of risk in New York? What would be the next likely candidate?

At present, the four-star restaurants (as judged by the Times) are French (JG, Daniel, Le B), American (Per Se), or Japanese (Masa). I would add that although Keller is American, there menu at Per Se clearly borrows a lot from the French. On another thread, you mentioned that the new Batali/Bastianich venture, Del Posto, is gunning to be the first four-star Italian restaurant.

Is there another cuisine for which you can envision someone taking that kind of risk in New York? What would be the next likely candidate?

AT some point, I assume, we'll have a really high-quality Chinese restaurant. I could see someone doing something fabulous with Indian food as well. And wouldn't a really impressive MIddle Eastern restaurant add something wonderful to our food scene?