• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Which paste colors best for cake decorating?

lorinda

I am doing a beginners' cake decorating course, and loving it. However, all my flowers have been white so far, I need to buy some paste colors, but would like some advice on which brand is good generally, for intensity of color, shades available, ease of use.

I have come across good mentions of Americolor and Sugarflair. What do people think? My teacher said she didn't prefer Wilton but preferred Sugarflair because it didn't dry out - or something like that - due to the alcohol content.

Thanks in advance.

"I'll just die if I don't get this recipe."

I use Americolor and really like it, mostly because it's a gel and not a paste and seems to mix more easily with my icing.

Second that. Not only easy to use, but more intense colors than I've found with any of the pastes. Red and black are far easier to achieve with Americolor than any others I've tried. Nice range of colors too.

B. Keith Ryder

BCakes by BKeith

Pfeil and Holing carries Americolor - their url is www.cakedeco.com.

I also like Sugarflair colors - gooseberry is my favorite green, and they make several shades of blue (navy, ice blue, baby blue) that are really nice. The poppy red is pretty intense too. I get them from Beryl's - www.beryls.com

And then there's Squires Kitchen in the UK - they have their own line of colors that are pretty nice. Their fuschia is the best! www.squires-group.co.uk