• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

melted plastic pot

prasantrin

I made the mistake of setting an aluminium pot on/near some plastic wrap. The wrap melted and is now a hard film. I'm trying to figure out how to get it off. I scrubbed a little with a brillo-type pad, but that's all I've done so far. Anyone know how to get melted plastic wrap off my precious pot? (It's my popcorn pot, so I really need it!)

I melted some plastic inside a pressure cooker, and got it off by warming the pot and scraping the plastic with a razor blade. That got it nearly all off, and I got the tiny residue with one if those green scrubby things.

It would be harder to do with the pastic on the outside of the pot, of course. Maybe you could set it upside down in a skillet and heat it that way? Or on a cookie sheet in the oven?

I haven't had the problem on aluminum - I accidentally set a hot All-Clad sauce pan down on a plastic bag and had it welded to the pan.

I took it outside, and burned it off with my torch. It left some black marks but i used Carbon-Off on it with good results, then just polished the SS.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Thanks! I'm going to try reheating it in boiling water, first. And then if that doesn't work, I'll clear a space in my freezer and try to freeze it off. I wish I had a torch to torch it off, but my little balcony is made of plastic, so I might just torch my balcony, too! I might try putting it back on the stove and burning it off that way...I'll just turn on the exhaust full-blast so I don't end up with some burning-plastic-induced respiratory ailment.

I have to go clean my pot now. I miss my popcorn!

edited to add:

It worked! I did the boil, scrub, boil, scrub, etc. thing and I got almost all of it off. There are a few specks here and there, but not enough to put me into respiratory distress the next time I use it. I'm having popcorn tonight!!! :biggrin:

Edited by prasantrin (log)