• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where should I send people to dine Christmas Day?

chef jeff

We are starting to get calls from people asking if Aurora is open Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day. We are closed all of these days, but we want to be able to send people somewhere we feel good about. Customers always ask us, in the industry, where else they should dine, and I feel it really reflects on us who we reccomend.

I think most of the large hotels are open and do some kind of christmas dinner, but are there any other options? Somewhere with a big communal table would be great if they did a family style dinner. Sun Sui Wah also came to mind for something less traditional.

Any other thoughts?

Jeff

Last Christmas my mom and I had a very memorable Xmas dinner at Samosa Garden on Kingsway near Boundary. They didn't do anything special for Xmas, but the evening was made special for us by the presence (not intrusive, mind you) of several big wedding parties. :biggrin:

My family has often had (and enjoyed) Xmas dinner at the Hotel Vancouver, but they're probably all booked up by now.

I also remember having lunch Xmas day at - was it Mimi's? - the very odd Chinese restaurant (on Keefer I think) that used to be (and remained decorated and branded as) a Bino's. Don't know if it's there still. Ah to be a feckless teenager again, visiting homeless punker friends in Chinatown on Xmas.

OOOoooh, I just remembered, it was Mitzi's. Must go check to see if it's still there.

Edited by Anchoress (log)

Chef Jeff,

I'm thinking the major hotels are an option: O'Doul's, Opus, etc....

I like the communal table idea...but I cannot think of one in Vancouver. I noticed in Australia alot of fine dining restaurants with communal tables that were all ready pre-booked for the Xmas season.

Cheers,

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Small plug for O'Doul's Xmas day for brunch.

Very comfy. Lacks the pretense of the big hotels. Good food too. The bennys especially. The smoked salmon one in particular (they use a nice sockeye) is a standout.

Just my $.03, but then again, you all know how I am about breakfast.

:cool:

Edited by 11son (log)

Cafe de Paris has been open on Christmas for years....don't know if they will be this year...but the current owner doesn't like to "break tradition".

Don't know of any other places except for maybe Seasons hilltop bistro and Sequoia Grill. They will most definitely be open. The big tourist spots are always open. Otherwise...like they say....Hotel, hotel, hotel......

We are starting to get calls from people asking if Aurora is open Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day.  We are closed all of these days, but we want to be able to send people somewhere we feel good about.  Customers always ask us, in the industry, where else they should dine, and I feel it really reflects on us who we reccomend. 

I think most of the large hotels are open and do some kind of christmas dinner, but are there any other options?  Somewhere with a big communal table would be great if they did a family style dinner.  Sun Sui Wah also came to mind for something less traditional.

Any other thoughts?

Jeff

Some might argue that Chinese on Christmas day is indeed traditional! (And not just Chinese people.)

Being yet another day to bring in dough, I would think that very few Chinese restos are not open on the 25th. However checking is always good, as some might only open for dim sum and not dinner service. Sun Sui Wah is a great idea for family-style dining, or Kirin at City Hall if you want to go even more upscale.

Links: Sun Sui Wah, Kirin.

We are starting to get calls from people asking if Aurora is open Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day.  We are closed all of these days, but we want to be able to send people somewhere we feel good about.  Customers always ask us, in the industry, where else they should dine, and I feel it really reflects on us who we reccomend. 

I think most of the large hotels are open and do some kind of christmas dinner, but are there any other options?  Somewhere with a big communal table would be great if they did a family style dinner.  Sun Sui Wah also came to mind for something less traditional.

Any other thoughts?

Jeff

Some might argue that Chinese on Christmas day is indeed traditional! (And not just Chinese people.)

Being yet another day to bring in dough, I would think that very few Chinese restos are not open on the 25th. However checking is always good, as some might only open for dim sum and not dinner service. Sun Sui Wah is a great idea for family-style dining, or Kirin at City Hall if you want to go even more upscale.

Links: Sun Sui Wah, Kirin.

BC, I do agree that anything could be a traditional christmas dinner. We all have our own traditions. I for one am bored silly of turkey, and prefer a nice roast, and have quite often gone for Dim Sum. I guess what I should have asked was if anyone knew of restaurants that were serving something special on Chrismas day. Now don't go telling me that it's all special! You know what I mean.

Cheers, Jeff

We are serving Xmas Dinner at the Hart House, a 3-course dinner with one option being a traditional turkey dinner.

It's a bit off the beaten track for downtowners, and it gets booked up fairly quickly by guests who return every year. But there are still a few spots available, and it is a really nice event. (Menus on www.harthouserestaurant.com)

The belly rules the mind.

I can't express strongly enough how I wish I was going out for dinner and not celebrating Christmas with the family and all the bits and pieces that comprise the contemporary family. (We put the fun in dysfunctional)

In past years either my sister or I have made the dinner. Our dirty little secret was that we let Sutton Place Hotel do the cooking - we just drove down and picked it up. We did add a lot of family-favorite sides and the desserts and appies but the turkey was outsourced so to speak. My brother found out last year and was horrified - so horrified in fact that he is insisting that he cook dinner this year because "I'm not eating hotel turkey for Christmas". Long-winded way of saying that the Sutton Place turkey is just fine if traditional is what someone is seeking.

Cheers,

Karole

...Our dirty little secret was that we let Sutton Place Hotel do the cooking - we just drove down and picked it up. ....My brother found out last year and was horrified - so horrified in fact that he is insisting that he cook dinner this year because "I'm not eating hotel turkey for Christmas". ...

Every time I hear a reference to "hotel turkey" my mind turns to that Stuart McLean Vinyl Cafe episode of when Dave cooks the turkey...I think I have heard it three or four times and it reduces me to tears of laughter every time....

Merlin - I don't know the episode but it sounds as if I need to track it down. I am sure my sister and I wouldn't have too much trouble having a good laugh about hotel turkeys.

The funniest part about my brother cooking the Christmas dinner and the turkey is the fact that he has only ever cooked steak and roast beef and the occasional surf item to accompany the steak. And as far as he is concerned, boil-in-a-bag niblet corn is the only vegatable one ever needs. Forget anything green! Should be an interesting Christmas dinner.

Cheers,

Karole

There are certain things that hotels do better than stand-alones. In addition to sleepovers, one of them is turkey. The Hotel Vancouver, The Met, Four Seasons and many others all do a great job with the festering season.

But the most festive of all, to my eye at least, is The Wedgewood, it's halls already decked with boughs of jolly, et al. And although this will be EC Lee Parson's first Christmas there, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt--if he can do with a turkey what he does to a chicken, I shall eat a yule meal there.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

There are certain things that hotels do better than stand-alones. In addition to sleepovers, one of them is turkey. The Hotel Vancouver, The Met, Four Seasons and many others all do a great job with the festering season.

But the most festive of all, to my eye at least, is The Wedgewood, it's halls already decked with boughs of jolly, et al. And although this will be EC Lee Parson's first Christmas there, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt--if he can do with a turkey what he does to a chicken, I shall eat a yule meal there.

We're consideringn Bacchus for Christmas dinner, but it's $120/person, without booze :shock: , gratuity and taxes. Is that par for the course at a hotel on Christmas day?

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

Every time I hear a reference to "hotel turkey" my mind turns to that Stuart McLean Vinyl Cafe episode of when Dave cooks the turkey...I think I have heard it three or four times and it reduces me to tears of laughter every time....

Of course, there's always Mr. Bean with the turkey on his head, and Basil Fawlty serving raw take-out duck because his chef is loaded and in love with Manuel.

Ah, the holidays... :wub:

Edited by Andrew Morrison (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

• 2 weeks later...

We're consideringn Bacchus for Christmas dinner, but it's $120/person, without booze :shock: , gratuity and taxes. Is that par for the course at a hotel on Christmas day?

I'm also looking for a restaurant for Christmas dinner, so I'd be interested in what everybody finds. I'm considering Fleuri at Sutton Place which has a 5 course meal for $74/person. Here's a link where you can see the menu. http://www.vancouver.suttonplace.com/Holiday_Festivities.htm

Here are a few details on Christmas dining at Adesso Bistro, The Four Seasons Hotel, Provence Marinaside and Raincity Grill courtesy of the CityFood Calendar. Menus are included for all but Raincity Grill.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Whatever you do, book as soon as you can.

Hotel restaurants fill up VERY fast for Christmas dinner.

Thanks for the tip! Calling one week before Christmas, Fleuri had almost completely booked out for dinner, and had booked out for their buffet lunch, but I managed to snag the time I wanted for dinner due to a cancellation. I'm really looking forward to the meal. :biggrin:

I'm also looking for a restaurant for Christmas dinner, so I'd be interested in what everybody finds. I'm considering Fleuri at Sutton Place which has a 5 course meal for $74/person. Here's a link where you can see the menu. http://www.vancouver.suttonplace.com/Holiday_Festivities.htm

I had Christmas Dinner at the Sutton Place two years ago...FANTASTIC!

Chef/Owner/Teacher