• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Only Around for the Holidays

spaghetttti

Christmas is my favorite time of year. As Diner Girl says in her "You Know It's Christmas when...." thread, it's all bout the smells, tastes and sounds (and a very touching tv commercial :wub: )

When I'm in the States, I always look forward to the See's candy stand at the shopping mall. set up just before Christmas and then gone soon after until the next year.

Here in Indonesia, Starbucks is offering the Christmas blend coffee, my favorite supermarket has stocked up on eggnog, and I even saw Coffeemate Gingerbread creamer, which I believe is seasonal, out only around Christmastime.

There are candy canes, tree/star/angel/Santa shaped sugar cookies galore. And fruitcake, too! Passing by the Baskin-Robbins counter, I spotted an ice cream confection decorated in Yuletide fashion.

What are your favorite "Just for the Holiday/Limited Edition" foods & treats?

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

In no particular order:

Bahlsen chocolate-covered gingerbread hearts. (I've forgotten their German name.)

Stollen -- some of the commercial versions are okay, but I like mine best!

Fruitcake - just bought 2 from Costco. We've already started in on hte first -- the second is put away for Christmas dinner.

Eggnog.

Eggnog ice cream.

:wub::wub::wub:

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

I love stollen. I also love pfeffernusse. And eggnog. Steamed pudding. Lots more but I have to stop because I am getting hungry and I am determined not to snack!

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Except for calling a couple of Christian friends, I like to ignore the existence of Christmas on Dec. 25 by going down to Chinatown for dim sum or just sleeping in. I'm sure I'm not the only one. I thought all non-Christians in Christian-majority countries had a little of that bah-humbug attitude. :smile::raz:

But more seriously, there are some Christmas-season things I like (e.g.: the Christmas tree at Rockefeller Center; great performances of Handel's Messiah and the Bach Christmas Oratorio on TV or radio; nice gigs playing beautiful Catholic or Lutheran religious music), but they're not food-related. I think that would be different if I lived in a country with great traditional Christmas foods. I've read about traditional Christmas foods in parts of Italy, for example.

Michael aka "Pan"

I saw a gingerbread/macademia biscotti at Starbucks today that looked yummy. :smile:

I like a half black coffee/half egg nog on Xmas morning.

I dig the gingersnaps.

I like a really good Yule log (NO wet centres like the ones of my youth!)

green bean casserole (the kind made from green beans, crm of mushroom soup, and onion rings. YUM)

A chocolate santa to bite the head off of (just like the easter bunny)

Homemade cookies.

As a kid, I remember being excited about the annual shrimp ring. :cool:

Things I don't like:

fruitcake

marzipan

rock-hard gingerbread house.

candy canes. (unless they're in candycane ice cream)

the tall drink of water...

Pannetone...I had my first pannetone just last year. The smell when you open the package is unbelievable. :wub: I like it best sliced, toasted, and buttered, but I wouldn't say no to pannetone bread pudding. :smile:

And I know you can get Almond Roca anytime of the year, but I usually associate it with Christmas. This year, I'm going to try making my own chocolate almond toffee.

Don't like:

-fruitcake

-candycanes

-Pot of Gold chocolates

-anything with the hard pieces of red and neon green candied fruit

Edited by Ling (log)

Funny, but I made my first mince pie (I deplore mincemeat) for the family at Thanksgiving, and they went nuts over it and informed me that it was a new holiday tradition.

:wub:

I don't like marzipan either. Very pretty, but I find it inedible, personally.

Now, gingerbread is the bomb. I have a recipe that actually tastes good with beer!

Annie

Mince pies, Christams pudding and Christmas cake all seem to be variations on the same bitter, dark, gluey theme. I guess when you eat them they serve as a memory trigger for happy holidays past though which may explain why some people like them, but I personallly can't see the attraction.

Mulled wine on the otherhand, now that is something to look forward to.

I like mince pies but only if they are hot from the oven with a dollop of cold freshly whipped cream.

Every Christams my Dad orders an entire Stilton. It has always been a tradition after dinner to pass the decantor (sp) of port followed by the stilton. I look forward to that part of the meal most. My husband (recently married) had a bit of trouble the first Christmas when he was hit with the aroma of the cheese, but now he loves it as much as the rest of the family.

Except for calling a couple of Christian friends, I like to ignore the existence of Christmas on Dec. 25 by going down to Chinatown for dim sum or just sleeping in. I'm sure I'm not the only one. I thought all non-Christians in Christian-majority countries had a little of that bah-humbug attitude. :smile:  :raz:

hehehe...i love going to chinese on christmas. it's my favorite part of having the day off from work! :raz:

but in all seriousness, i'm a sucker for eggnog and i have been known to frequent the "seven fishes" dinners at local restaurants. i mean, 7 courses of fish - how could that be bad? :biggrin:

Eating pizza with a fork and knife is like making love through an interpreter.

Like Pan, no holiday season in my childhood was complete without Chinese food with my dad's (Jewish) family (before and after his marriage to my Presbyterian stepmother), and Williams-Sonoma's Peppermint Bark. Sadly, no latkes, but I plan to remedy that this year by participating in the cook-off.

And, with my (Episcopalian) mom, standing rib roast. We only have it once a year, really (usually on Christmas Day), and man, is it good. She serves it with a horseradish-mustard sauce, and I just love it. The one time I prefer beef to lamb. :wink:

I've been blessed to experience multi-cultural holiday seasons, I guess. Though I do have to say that it was my Jewish college roommate who made me go to church during Advent - for the music, of course! :laugh:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

I like a half black coffee/half egg nog on Xmas morning.

Oooooh! Something new to try!

A little hair of the dog, eh? :wink: That does sound good, though - I'm going to try it, too!

I read somewhere that there's a Southern Comfort ice cream, must be good?!

The favorite of frat boys everywhere. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Chris just bought his annual Claxton's fruitcake---got this one at Sam's and it's three of the little square logs...quite a haul, as one stick is his usual supply.

He hasn't yet brought home his one quart of eggnog. He doles it out in nightly doses, a shotglass for dessert, sipped slowly like good Scotch. And since I can tolerate neither the clammy cake nor the nutmeggy nog, he enjoys them both all to himself.

My favorite seasonal memory is a Hostess fruitcake, in the pretty round lace-embellished gold tin, a weighty prize to be opened and savored. The three-pounder was our usual holiday buy, and the lifting of the lid revealed a fancy doily, red ribbon atop a crinkle-cellophaned round cake. It had no soggy rum, no great clumps of neon fruit. The light, soft crumb of the cake was scented with vanilla, and lovely chunks of real pineapple and whole juicy cherries were suspended in that spongy, wonderful cake. Whole pecans, crisp and toasted, provided a salty crunch in contrast to the tender cake and moist fruit.

The cake was doled out in small slices, as well, by my Mother's steady hand on the cakeknife, and despite frequent lid-liftings for a scented savor, never once did I contemplate swiping a slice. That was a SERIOUS cake, for special, for occasions, and we treated it with the respect it was due. I'd love to find one again. We live just a few blocks from the Wonder Bread bakery---and I wonder if they still make those delicious cakes.

This weekend I'll crank up the fudge pot, getting the sugar and the chopped Caillebaut and the nuts and cherries all arrayed. The cocoa can will get a workout, as will the flat wooden paddles which are the only stirring tool used for the swirling, thickening mass. Lines of buttered pans, atop squat cans from the pantry, will cool and solidify, wafting their fragrances of chocolate and vanilla, peanut butter and caramel into the warm air of the downstairs rooms. Summer is not fudge time. Autumn and its chill snap, for mulled cider and jellymaking. Winter is for fudge, for banana bread and breakfast for dinner. The time of the sugaring is come, and Chocolate is King.

Chris did bring in a pack of snowman Peeps, heretofore only an Easter taste. What will they think of next?

Our fruitcake is already half-gone :/

I like Starbucks' Peppermint Mocha a lot more than I expected I would.

I miss Friendly's peppermint stick ice cream, and hope that Pepsi Holiday Spice is making a return appearance this year.

My mother makes fudge every Christmas to give to everyone in the neighborhood -- I think it's the standard Fluff recipe.

Gingerbread's something I crave every year but can never get to come out the way I see it in my mind's tastebuds: dark, dense, moist, gingery with maybe a little clove.

Ditto on the Edy's peppermint ice cream. One year I went a little nutso and got about 3-4 containers of it! Needless to say I was rather tired of it at the end of that holiday season...... Only getting one container of it this year! Ditto on the eggnog, fruitcake and the mince pie. All of them have that holiday time spice smells to them.... hmmm- spicy seems to be my theme here. I'll also include stuffing--yep I still call it stuffing even though it's now cooked in a pan. It's just your basic bread stuffing, loaded with rubbed sage and McCormick's poultry seasoning. Gotta be that brand-- it's what we grew up with and it still tastes and smells the same. The smells of all these things say holiday time to me.

"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)