• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The basics of home cookery

Malawry

Thanks for asking about my class. Yes, it is moving forward, and the first session will start around the last week of January. I went with a proposal strikingly similar to what I posted here, which I tweaked slightly based on subsequent comments, and my proposal was eagerly embraced by the program coordinator--so all systems are go.

I plan to spend a little time in the first class talking to the students and figuring out what they really WANT from the class. If they agree with Mrsadm that this stuff is too above their level, and they don't know things like "add two eggs" means crack them out of their shells, then I'll make adjustments. The bread and pastry stuff is at the end specifically because I don't think it's a big deal if we don't get to those subjects (here come the rotten tomatoes thrown by pastry chefs everywhere). I figure there are other classes by people more qualified than I am to teach those things, and most people who take my class will probably be looking for dinner ideas rather than dessert. But who knows.

I will post updates to this thread after my class starts, or as I'm gearing up to begin it in any case.

I've been teaching a good friend how to cook these last couple of days so I'll chime in with my observations. Generally, the things he's found most helpful are things which don't translate well into recipes or television. He found the knife skills thing we did at the start really helpful, not so much about what shape you need to cut things in, but the mechanics of the cut itself. Do you press down hard or gently, do you go quick or slow. Long strokes or short, forward or back. It's stuff I never think about any more because it comes so naturally but it's surprising just how much more difficult it is to cut through something if you don't know how. We were both using the same knife yet I could cut effortless tomato slices yet he was struggling even breaking the skin. Even after 20 minutes of trying, I still don't know what the secret is. But for other things, a simple comment about technique really helped.

Another thing he found useful was figuring out the order to add things to the pan. Stuff like "So you add the garlic before any liquids go but also as the last of the dry ingredients" (his words) was what he claims to be the most helpful lesson he's learnt so far.

Learning to pick produce and store it was another big thing. Some simple tips allowed him to extend the shelf life of his fruits and veggies for a few days which works out to be less wastage and more savings.

Luckily, he's not squeamish so breaking down carcasses has been a great learning tool and a real help in saving money. So far, he's taken apart 1 chicken, 2 ducks, a fish and a leg of lamb. He feels confident enough to buy large cuts and portion them out him self after he returns home.

I'm having more trouble than I expected with the flavour part and trying to develop his palate. He can tell when something tastes good but he can't really pick out the flavours and why it tastes good or what you could add to make it taste better. I think that's just something that will require time and probably a dash of natural talent. He's still very unsure about seasoning and doesn't feel confident trusting his tastebuds so I'm going to try and work on that for a while.

I think, if you could fit it in (although this probably isn't the right season), what would be good is to take the entire group out to a market and buy a whole bunch of fresh fruit and veggies. Then return to the kitchen and teach them how to store them and finally, finish off with a salad or stir fry (probably not enough time for this) and a fruit salad.

I think, even if people never make bread again, it's important to make either bread or pasta or something like that to get you really in contact wih your food. It's such a sensual experience and really reminds you of why cooking is important.

PS: I am a guy.

[...]Another thing he found useful was figuring out the order to add things to the pan. Stuff like "So you add the garlic before any liquids go but also as the last of the dry ingredients" (his words) was what he claims to be the most helpful lesson he's learnt so far.[...]

That's interesting. I guess in that context, tomatoes would be considered a wet ingredient, which they are: They contain lots of water.

Michael aka "Pan"

Thanks for the tips, Shalmanese. I've been reading your thread with no small degree of awe--you're really doing a great job, and in some ways I wish I had the time to do these sorts of things with the students I'll be teaching.

Assuming all goes well with my class, I will be returning to teach it again in the fall, and will try to build in a visit to the local farmer's market and some other cool stuff. Right now I don't know the sorts of students I'll get or even what my teaching facility looks like (I'll be visiting before my first class, don't worry). One thing at a time.

I'm known for providing running commentary as I cook with all sorts of tidbits like your garlic one, how to season properly, etc. Palate is almost impossible to teach, it just takes experience. If my students come away from this class with a grasp of how to use salt properly, that alone will be a pretty big triumph IMO.