• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Houston] Simposio

FoodMan

I am not sure why I have waited so long to go to this unassuming restaurant locate don the intersection of Richmond and Chimney Rock. Probably because of it's location in -more or less- a strip mall. I have heard many good things about it but finally got to try it a little over a week ago.

Simposio is a fine dining Italian restaurant owned and operated by an Italian chef from the La Marche region bordering on Emilia Romagna. The main attraction of the restaurant are the homemade pastas which on this trip we only got to try one of them but there were many, both filled and non filled. the pasta we tried was the Strozzapreti with Italian Sausage and spinach. The homemade pasta is like a Tagliatelle noodle but a little thicker and is sort of twisted or "tangled", it was perfect with the hearty sausage and light tomato sauce. Hands down the best dish of the night.

everything else was very good as well. We had the Carapccio with Arugula, Grilled crispy Calamari and a fillet of snapper in a light wine sauce with shrimp and mussles. we washed it all down with a nice bottle of red wine.

Other reasons I loved this place are the atmosphere. It is not nearly as noisy as other places, like Da Marco. It is elegant and classy without being stuffy and our waiter has to be one of the friendliest people in the business. His name was Homero, ask for him if you go there. the general manager (from Positano in Italy)stopped by a couple of times to chat and made sure we are happy with everything as well.

The only negative I found about Simposio is their desserts list. It was very....plain and uninteresting.

I really cannot wait to return and try more of their pastas. Even for an extended lunch it is not a bad idea.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Hmmm . . . Not noisy. Good food and service . . . Sounds like an ideal business lunch place to me. Those are pretty hard to find. I will pass it on. And, that is on my must do list next time I am in town for lunch. Thanks for the report. I probably would have never tried it otherwise.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Simposio is certainly one of the most underrated restaurants in houston. If going for lunch and they have the risotto milanesa...get it. The chef knows risotto as good as anyone. He knows other things as well like pork cooked to med rare, great breaded grilled calamari...

I have always wanted to try that place!

I am interested in why you always wanted to try that place. I think I have noticed it in passing but nothing made it say "try me."

We have a similar place down here in the Bay Area, The Italian Cafe in a strip center at Kirby and NASA Road 1. It has been there for years, is BYOB and has some of the most spectacular Italian food I have had anywhere. Mostly, only the locals have a clue. Luckily, that has been enough to keep them going for many years. Is this one of those type places?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I am interested in why you always wanted to try that place. I think I have noticed it in passing but nothing made it say "try me."

Simposio has had a good reputation for several years. Esquire named it one of the 50 best new restaurants in 1998. It has maintained its standards since then. I am guessing the word of mouth within the food service industry is positive. Here is link to an interview of Alberto Baffoni by Robb Walsh.

Another Italian restaurant in the area to try is Piatto's.

Lindsey

Edited by LDLee (log)

"As far as I'm concerned, bacon comes from a magical, happy place" Frank, John Doe

We "discovered" Simposio's about a year ago and fell in love with it. Their osso buco and lamb is devine. Pastas are wonderful and the wine list is reasonable--I had a good barolo at less than 2 times retail!! We were not happy with the steaks--I guess we should stick to steak houses for that.

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

Fifi-

Simposio has gotten very favorable feedback and has been going on for years. I really want to try it for lunch for a pasta or like Jason said, a risotto. the waiter did say it can get busy during lunch but hopefully not too busy :smile: or noisy. I will report back once I do as well.

Bill, that Osso buco looked amazing (and huge) when it was served to a table nearby. I had to choose between it and the seafood dish and I chose the lighter seafood dish, but it is still certainly on my radar for other visits. I also noticed some very good looking chops (veal probably), being served.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

After getting inspiration from here to make it back to Simposio I talked a friend into meeting me here for lunch today. I had the agnoloti pasta stuffed with veal served with an au jus sauce scented with rosemary. It was awesome! The pasta cooked al dente and the stuffing was a great match with the extremely flavorful jus. I almost with lamb chops but decided I really wanted pasta. Maybe I'll give the strozapetti next time?

Tomorrow I'll dine at Noe! Hopefully a great report will follow.

I guarantee a great report will follow after Noe. We had the nine course dinner. I have to find the list they gave me. Fantastic experience. Better than Mark's.

"As far as I'm concerned, bacon comes from a magical, happy place" Frank, John Doe

• 4 months later...

We stopped by for a lunch at Simposio last week and had a very good experience. Efficient and friendly service is the topping on the cake at this place, especially for a busy lunch.

We started off with the fried calamari appetizer. Easily the best in town. The squid was very tender with a very slight chew, not rubbery. It had the lightest, crunshiest batter I've had on fried calamari. The batter did not overwhelm and the taste of the squid came through.

Their specials sounded very good (veal chop, lamb, elk, fish...) but we both decided to go with lighter (on the budget and on the stomach since we both had to go back to work) dishes, namely pasta. My wife oredered the Strozzapretti that she enjoyed so much last time. I ordered the Panzerotti (sp?), little ravioli's stuffed with sea bass and served with a creamy lemon zest sauce. The raviolis were very good but the edges, where the two pasta squares are sealed were a little tough. From watching way too much Molto Mario, I deduced they might've used egg wash instead of water to seal the little pockets. The waiter did not know.

We also split the Strudel with pear and apple and cinnamon ice cream for dessert. It was as good as a strudel can be, flaky, buttery and not overly sweet.

BTW, I saw a couple of other tables order the veal chop, and next time I am getting one of those beauties.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

• 5 months later...

I just read a Sept. Zagat report that said Simposios has declined. We are eating there Friday nite--anyone else heard anything? It has always been my favorite Italian place in Houston.

I just read a Sept. Zagat report that said Simposios has declined.  We are eating there Friday nite--anyone else heard anything?  It has always been my favorite Italian place in Houston.

Bill,

I would take any Zagat "review" with a large grain of salt. Unfortunatly, we had to cancel our reservation at simposio two weeks ago. So, the last experience I have there was back in April. I would certainly still go there and judge for myself. Please let us know how it goes and do not cancel your res. based on Zagat's opinion.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I would think we would here this from local food writer before zagat?

It was a review from an individual in the on line Zagat. Don't worry, we're going--I'll give a report.

yikes! these are even less trustworthy than the official Zagat review. That might be the same person who sends "whines" to Whine and Dine :smile: .

Looking forward to your report Bill, because like you this place is one of my top picks for good Italian food and I would hate to know it has declined in the last few months.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I went there about 6 months ago and was not impressed. Portions were big and sloppy, laminated menu, unimaginative sides that had me picturing the big common pan of potatoes or vegetables in the back no matter what the entree, just all sorts of picky things that would not have me come back.

If I read a great review of there soon I will try it again because so many people love it.

Recently four of us ate at Piatto (sp.?) that newish place behind the Dillards in the Galleria. Great asparagus appetizer with crab on top (very buttery) and great service but one of us had dry roasted chicken and my pasta was great stuff/sauce but the pasta itself made me sad and was too al dente. Is this place part of the Grotto dynasty? The menu seemed the same.

Recently four of us ate at Piatto

Is this place part of the Grotto dynasty?  The menu seemed the same.

Good eye. John Marion is a Carraba, one of the many cousins who owns a restaurant.

Personally, Piatto's is probably my favorite of the Italian restaurants operated by a Carraba/Mandola/Lorenzo family member. My only complaint is it gets loud some times.

Simposio has slipped a bit. The service was full of effort, but spotty. The veal was cold and the potatoes uninspired. The Caesar was dry but quickly repaired with additional dressing--very good. My Bologenese was ok but a bit salty. The Tuscan bean soup needed a drizzle of olive oil to finish it. The Marquis de Barolo was great, as usual. Jane insists we try it again, reminding me that the last meal we had out was at Le Reve. I agree.

Simposio has slipped a bit.  The service was full of effort, but spotty.  The veal was cold and the potatoes uninspired. The Caesar was dry but quickly repaired with additional dressing--very good.  My Bologenese was ok but a bit salty.  The Tuscan bean soup needed a drizzle of olive oil to finish it. The Marquis de Barolo was great, as usual. Jane insists we try it again, reminding me that the last meal we had out was at Le Reve. I agree.

Thanks for the report Bill. Cold veal?? no excuse for that. I sure hope they get their act back together soon.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We visited Simposio again for a small get together last Friday and again had a great experience. Yes, I do agree with some of the comments that the “laminated” menu is a bit uncreative, but the stuff they do, they do very very well. I had a traditional Osso Bucco that was cooked till tender but not mushy with a full red wine flavor. The risotto it was served with was just perfect. The rice cooked till it retained just a bit of texture and the dish was served with a metal pick to get at all the nice soft marrow.

Other dishes I sampled off other diner’s plates included great rare-cooked venison chops with mushrooms and asparagus, another risotto with asparagus and seafood, a fresh buckwheat pasta with crab meat, and the one of the most perfectly grilled fillet of striped bass I’ve had.

I really think one of the keys to getting a better meal here is to order from the Specials list and avoid the desserts which I still think are mediocre. Although our table still got a bread pudding and some profiteroles and everyone enjoyed them.

The service was attentive, professional, accommodating (making a small pizza for my son even though this is a lunch item only) and very knowledgeable.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

• 1 year later...

When my wife told me a while back that Simposio is closed, I was upset. We loved this place for simple Italian food.

ThenI heard it was relocating. Things were looking up.

Now we get Mr. Walsh's review and it seems to indeed have gone downhill :sad: .

I might still take one for the team and give it one more shot. Anyone been recently?

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Elie,

I have not been back to Simposio. I think the former chef opened the restaurant just down from Cafe Pita + in the same strip center. I have a long drive to get to that area, and right now I am still enjoying the various offerings of Cafe Pita +. Any reports on the other place?