• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fondue pots or sets

tejon

I love fondue in all possible incarnations: creamy melted cheese, decadent chocolate on fruit, broth based hot pots, and meat cooked in oil. A few years back I bought my husband (an even bigger fondue afficianado) a steel Bodum fondue set that was hailed as perfect for all sorts of ingredients, from chocolate to oil. We've been less than happy with this pot, mainly because it doesn't really get hot enough for broth or oil and is too large and unwieldy for cheese or chocolate.

Cheese and chocolate can both be done in a smaller pot with a heavy bottom that will hold the heat well, so I think I'm set there. I would like something that can handle a broth or oil fondue well, though if anyone has a favorite pot for cheese, bring that on as well. I'm not in any way averse to being a multiple fondue pot household :wink:.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

As usual, I have several but the one I use most is the Chantal that has a stainless outside with a ceramic insert that makes it easy to handle.

for hot pot don't use the ceramic insert, just heat oil in the pot itself.

cooking.com has the Chantal

This site Has several and I like the shapes of the shallower ones. I especially like the cast iron one.

The old enamelled cast iron one I have from back in the 60s is the "classic" pot shape and I rarely use it because it is wider at the bottom and not easy to get all the stuff out of it and I think it is too deep.

Hope this helps.

I also have an electric one - different from the one on this site - I don't know if it is still made, I don't remember the brand but will see if I can find it on the web. I am at work right now and my housekeeper is still on vacation in Hungary.

lots more here

I found the electric one - it is the Russell Hobbs - see it here.

I really like the looks of the Trudeau 3 'n 1 set.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

i have the bodum pot also and our glass insert broke right away. we were very careful with the temp changes too. i know we can order another one but we haven't bothered. it was a wedding present. i will be watching htis thread to get ideas for a new pot.... :biggrin:

"i saw a wino eating grapes and i was like, dude, you have to wait"- mitch hedburg

I generally am a cheese fondue lover, and I think that the best thing for cheese fondue is an enameled cast iron pot that will go from stovetop to table - it means only one cheesy pot to clean. I also believe that cheese fondue needs a large surface area for easy swirling and so that it stays at the right temperature, so I would recommend a separate pot for cheese/chocolate and broth/oil.

My wife and I differ on the optimum fondue pot. I bought her a stainless electric Cuisinart pot for Christmas, so we'll see how she likes it. She is fond of electric fondue pots. It cost $ 30 at our local Costco.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

My wife and I differ on the optimum fondue pot.  I bought her a stainless electric Cuisinart pot for Christmas, so we'll see how she likes it.  She is fond of electric fondue pots.  It cost $ 30 at our local Costco.

I borrowed an electric (no idea what brand) from a friend a few years back when we were having a really big fondue party & it was fabulous! so much easier to use than dealing with the "dixie cup of fire" under regular pots. I really want one myself now...

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

I have two types: A lovely new-old (when I found it) vintage Revere ware fondue pot which uses the "cup of fire," and it's quite OK for keeping the cheese mixture going. I do melt on stovetop in a different pot, however.

Also have an (I think) Oster electric, not very attractive, not least because of the trailing cord, but also just--not very attractive. Works, however, and is non-stick inside which does make it easy to clean. Good at maintaining temperature, although even when using this one I melt on stovetop. It is a lower height than those on separate stands, making it easier to use.

But haven't done the oil thing.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter