• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Margaret Pilgrim

Margaret Pilgrim

2 hours ago, eugenep said:

I don't know if this is exactly "hot chocolate" but it has all the components with the addition of coffee

I just throw in 60% dark chocolate (I use El Rey) chips in coffee and add cream with no sugar (bc the sweetness comes from the chocolate is enough) 

I tried using soy substitute for cream but there is a super big difference. The cream goes really, really well with the drink and gives it more body in addition to incredibly pairing of flavor (milk + chocolate) 

Please let us know when/if you find a satisfactory milk powder.    I usually keep some kind on hand for emergencies but have almost never needed it.   Once in the country, a milk-loving feral cat who adopted us was visiting.    Out of fresh milk, I mixed up a bowl of warm milk, using powder.    She was ecstatic, took a lap, looked up at me and walked off the deck.   

Margaret Pilgrim

Margaret Pilgrim

2 hours ago, eugenep said:

I don't know if this is exactly "hot chocolate" but it has all the components with the addition of coffee

I just throw in 60% dark chocolate (I use El Rey) chips in coffee and add cream with no sugar (bc the sweetness comes from the chocolate is enough) 

I tried using soy substitute for cream but there is a super big difference. The cream goes really, really well with the drink and gives it more body in addition to incredibly pairing of flavor (milk + chocolate) 

Please let us know when/if you find a satisfactory milk powder.    I usually keep some kind on hand for emergencies but have almost never needed it.   Once in the country, a feral cat who adopted us was visiting.    Out of milk, I mixed up a bowl of warm milk, using powder.    She was ecstatic, took a lap, looked up at me and walked off the deck.