• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tripe Sandwich

Daniel

I have been to Florence a few times.. Each time I have ordered this sandwich at the Leather Market.. Hot tripe taken from a pot of spicy tomato sauce and slice onto a a crusty roll.. Then covered with Pesto and some hot sauce added..

I have been craving this sandwich for some time now.. And want to make it for dinner tonight.. Or at least lunch on Saturday.. Anyone have a recipe, or a better description.. Or a run in with this sandwich there? Anyone know what the name of the sandwich is called?

Edited by Daniel (log)

I have been to Florence a few times.. Each time I have ordered this sandwich at the Leather Market.. Hot tripe taken from a pot of spicy tomato sauce and slice onto a a crusty roll.. Then covered with Pesto and some hot sauce added.. 

I have been craving this sandwich for some time now.. And want to make it for dinner tonight.. Or at least lunch on Saturday..  Anyone have a recipe, or a better description.. Or a run in with this sandwich there? Anyone know what the name of the sandwich is called?

Daniel - are you sure that it was tripe "trippa" not "Lambredotto"? The stalls around Mercato Centrale sell both. Sold from a stall they look like this. The tripe is the white stuff the Lampredotto is the brown stuff. Both are stomachs, but the lampredotto is the forth stomach, while tripe can be any of the other 3.

gallery_1643_811_574920.jpg

From one of your stalls the lampredotto looks like this:

gallery_1643_811_565098.jpg

There is a little bit more information in this thread of mine.

Thanks Adam.. Now I am not so sure.. I want to say it was the fourth stomache now.. What are the chances of me getting some of that here? Also, my sandwiches have been very spicy in the past.. There are red pepper flakes...

Yeh, the pepper flakes are optional, I like the green sauce though. I think that you will have hugh amounts of problems getting the fourth stomach, but you know tripe is good. From memory it is stewed in a light tomato based broth with beef stock. The crusty roll is cut, some of the bread is pulled out and discarded and then this surface is dipped into the broth. The roll is filled with guts, and your choice of seasoning is added.

Of course Holy would know about this..

Going on your memory Adam I am attempting the sandwich.. Using honeycomb tripe.. Oh well how bad could it be.. I took some beef stock, added it with some whole tomatoes.. Then I threw in whatever I had left in my vegetable department. Took a lot of whole garlic,a bunch of parsley,wine, oregano,red pepper flakes, whole plump dried thai chili's,a shallot, three whole onions and a green pepper..Black and white whole pepper corns.. Let it cook for a few hours.. Put the tripe in tomorrow and let that cook for a few hours while I make the green pesto? And chili sauce..

gallery_15057_2091_923276.jpg

The green sauce is a pesto right?

Edited by Daniel (log)

Cooked the tripe for a few hours this morning.. Sorry the photos are terrible.. I was a little banged up this morning..

gallery_15057_2056_207407.jpg

Made a pesto.. Added a chinese garlic chili sauce..

gallery_15057_2056_1072640.jpg

Here is the finished product.. It was really a super sandwich, have enough for a few more sandwiches. The perfect cure for a late evening of drinking..

gallery_15057_2056_698239.jpg

Now I have a big pot of tripe soup, now all i have to do is add potatoes.. Or leave out the potatoes and serve the tripe soup with a floating toast with pesto on it..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Jesus that looks good.

Until two minutes ago I thought the "perfect cure for a late evening of drinking" was the pint glass of cheap white wine and vietnamese submarine sandwich -- aka bahn mi -- I was working on, but that may be even better.

Got a little honeycomb going on the stove now, but am not sure I can equal your production.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Mondongo anything like Menudo.. I hear that is a cure too.. That looks great Dominicana..

Here is the conclusion of the tripe soup.. I added beans and cooked for awhile.. Finished with little croutons with pesto on top.. Sorry for not cleaning the bowl.. Oh well..

gallery_15057_2056_773388.jpg

This thread is making me develop a craving for tripe. I think I'll order tripe soup from Teresa's as part of my dinner tonight. Great stuff, Daniel!

Michael aka "Pan"

sorry I missed this.

Yes the tripes stand at the Market serves the lampredotto sandwiches.

They use thelampredotto for the sandwiches and the other tripes in sauces for main cources to be eaten with a fork usually as they are a little harder to eat as a sandwich, although the stand at the Porta Romana has quite a selection of both.

It is cooked with carrot , onion, celery, basil , sea salt and tomato paste till tender.

The sauce is salsa verde, flat leaved parsley, capers, anchovies, pine nuts and vinegar with oil. they also make a chili sauce..pureed chili with oil and salt.

Inside the market at Nerbone's the salsa verde also has a mirepoix, finely minced added to it.

I like mine with the top half of the bread dipped in the broth.. salt pepper and both sauces!

I've been in lampredotto withdrawal since I returned to the States from living in Florence. I've desperately wandered the streets of New York looking for the fourth stomach, but I can't find it. Even in Chinatown.

Nerbone has the best, or at least the best-known, lampredotto sandwiches in Florence, although there are carts throughout the city. The lampredotto sold at the cart in the Via Maso Finiguerra (across from the Fulgor cinema) always seemed to have a distinct aroma of cinnamon. For me, the broth dunk, salt & pepper, salsa verde and salsa piccante are all essential.

Finally, no discussion of lampredotto can omit the ravioli at Il Magazzino, in the Piazza della Passera.