• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best place for foodies to live?

I think a meetup in Chinatown would make an excellent society event...friends of mine are regulars for Sunday yum cha at Golden Harbour, but I reckon you guys can do better than that. :)

• 4 years later...

Crow's Nest... mmm, lots of Izakaya's... Japanese eating/drinking places. Summer, cold sake, mmmmmm....

Wow, I must have gone there at the wrong time :( Moved to St Leonard's last year Feb/March and didn't see many Japanese places at all around there or Crow's Nest. Regretted it big time - foodwise, I found LNS (lower north shore) definitely is NOT a foodie area or an area for good living despite being a good, comfortable middle-class area. One thing great was the pub food at that pub where the train station is, though. Great steaks, perfectly cooked to order - with chips, gravy and veggies for only $10. Eat your heart out, WA lol. Pub food in WA............. ugh, what can I say - 5-star prices for mediocre grub- get real, guys.

Wow, I must have gone there at the wrong time :( Moved to St Leonard's last year Feb/March and didn't see many Japanese places at all around there or Crow's Nest.

Now that is a huge surprise. I often think we have a little Tokyo around here in Neutral Bay/Crow's Nest.

In Crow's Nest off the top of my head, there is Ju-Rin, Sakana-Ya, and Waqu, all of which appear in the Sydney Morning Herald good food guide. In Neutral Bay there must be seven or more Japanese restaurants/food shops within a 1km radius, including Jugemu & Shimbashi which is basically two Japanese style restaurants in one.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Wow, I must have gone there at the wrong time :( Moved to St Leonard's last year Feb/March and didn't see many Japanese places at all around there or Crow's Nest.

Now that is a huge surprise. I often think we have a little Tokyo around here in Neutral Bay/Crow's Nest.

In Crow's Nest off the top of my head, there is Ju-Rin, Sakana-Ya, and Waqu, all of which appear in the Sydney Morning Herald good food guide. In Neutral Bay there must be seven or more Japanese restaurants/food shops within a 1km radius, including Jugemu & Shimbashi which is basically two Japanese style restaurants in one.

Hmm, did not see any of those at all... none of those names ring a bell. Maybe I just didn't see them (sigh). Are they only open at lunch time, perhaps..? What's a good one to go to for some uni?

I used to live in Cammeray before moving to London, and love the Japanese pleaces on the north shore; the highlights for me were;

- As mentioned before, Ju Ge Mu & Shimbashi on Military Rd in Neutral bay; they make their own Soba noodles.

- Toriciya in Cammeray; a bit off the beaten track, but a great Izakaya with Yakitori and a fantastic Sake list

- Sushi Counter in Crows Nest; get the Omakase menu; basically the sushi chef chooses the best he has that day to give you

- Rengaya on the cnr of Miller and Blue St in North Sydney; $60 all you can eat Yakiniku Mon-Thurs

- Kyushu in Neutral bay; down a side street near the Oaks. Really good Pork Maki

Other places I love;

- watching Rugby on a Saturday afternoon in the beer garden at the Oaks pub

- Delicado food and Wine on Blues Point Rd. Good Tapas style food. great wines. Great sherry collection

- Paradoxe on Falcon St in Neutral bay

- Il Perugino in Mosman

- Phuong Vietnamese in Crows Nest

- The Burlington in Crows Nest; Matthew Kemp's (Balzac) second restaurant

- Epoque belgian beer bar in Cammeray

- Papaya Thai in Cremorne and Cammeray

- 2060 in Waverton does a great breakfast, and Dinner is pretty good too.

Good foodie shops;

- Hudsons Meats in Cammeray Square; cammeray Sq also has a Harris farm veg shop

- Essential Ingredient

- Kitchen Kapers in Crows Nest for kitchen equipment

- St Honore bakery in North Sydney

The lower north shore doesn't really have any great high end dining places, but is full of some great casual dining places.

'You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.'

- Frank Zappa