• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Columbia SC, any great places to eat?

luwom

I'll be traveling to Columbia, SC in about a week and a half (daughter's college graduation). Are there any "must visit" restaurants in Columbia? Some of my meals will be just a couple of people and one dinner with a group of 9. I appreciate any pointers.

Larry

While I have never lived in Columbia, SC, my sister-in-law is from there and she did mention a couple of fine dining options:

Diannes on Devine

Hampton Street Vineyard

Both of these restaurants have menus on their websites and you may find some very interesting options at both. I hope that someone else who is more familiar with the food there will chime in momentarily.

Congratulations on your daughter's graduation!

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Hi Melissa,

Thank you for these suggestions. Both menus look great (...getting hungry just looking through the selections).

Thanks also for the congrats. You know I'll be in a great mood while I'm there.

Larry

Should you eat at either of these places, or perhaps at something more spectacular, I hope that you will "report back" on your findings in the form of describing your dining experiences in Columbia!

I realize that you will be busy with the graduation but, hey, we here at eGullet, are dying to hear details! Oh yes, welcome to eGullet! :biggrin:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I recommend these:

Mr. Friendly's

Gervais & Vine

They are also opening up a new restaurant,

Solstice Kitchen & Wine Bar in the NE side of town which looks promising.

All of these have the same owner...

Also would recommend Momo's Bistro on Devine St. Would be less likely to recommend Dianne's, although some people like it...However, for lunch, the Dianne's people also own another place - DiPrato's, which is really good.

These all look great! Thank you both very much for the recommendations. (...and they all seem to have California wines :raz: )

I'll send the list to see if my daughter has a preference, since it's her celebration; but I'm sure I'll enjoy any of these.

I'll report back after the trip.

Larry

Have you been to Columbia before? It's very much a college town, but there are good eats to be found. I was there earlier this year visiting a friend who went to college there.

Gervais & Vine is a nice little restaurant. I would also recommend Goatfeathers. Although they may be better suited to after dinner drinks. It's a very cozy place, good wine list. Like your 'artsy' college bar, but not pretentious.

And if you're into beer, go to the Flying Saucer while you're there. Very nice beer selection. And the staff is great. (Well, their uniforms are great. :wub: ) And Monday night is 2.50 pint night.

There is also another restaurant that, if I remember correctly, was down in the Point. It was across and up the street from Julian's. And almost directly across from the old mill place. It's kind of upscale. Steak/seafood type place sort of. We ate lunch there one day, and it was great. Their grits (an heirloom variety similar to Anson Mills and milled across the street) were awesome. Does anyone know where I'm talking about?

-Greg

There is also another restaurant that, if I remember correctly, was down in the Point.  It was across and up the street from Julian's.  And almost directly across from the old mill place.  It's kind of upscale.  Steak/seafood type place sort of.  We ate lunch there one day, and it was great.  Their grits (an heirloom variety similar to Anson Mills and milled across the street) were awesome.  Does anyone know where I'm talking about?

I guess you mean in the Vista and across the street from Jillian's and the Adluh Flour Mill? I think you're talking about Blue Marlin... Another good lunch reco... Can't think of many other places I'd really recommend. If you want to order a pizza Dano's on Rosewood Dr. has a really good Sicilian... And burgers and beer at Rockaway's - Pres. Bush stopped in there when he was in town a few months ago and had a Rockaway Burger (just a burger with Pimento cheese) - if you can get them to make it rare (which is technically not legal in this backwards-ass state) then do it.

I recommend these:

Mr. Friendly's

Gervais & Vine

Also would recommend Momo's Bistro on Devine St.  Would be less likely to recommend Dianne's, although some people like it...However, for lunch, the Dianne's people also own another place - DiPrato's, which is really good.

Talk about coincidence!

I was just talking with my brother, who returned from deer hunting trips with an old friend of ours, and I inquired how the friend was doing.

It turns out he and his wife have a house in Columbia, where her nephew owns a couple restaurants. With a bit of Googling I discovered that Mr Friendlys and Gervatis are owned by a Kristsan Niemi.

I know his entire family on both sides, parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles! They're all from Chisholm, here on Minnesota's Iron Range.

If anybody has ocassion to visit these establishments and speak to Kristan, please send him regards from his old home town. And mention where you saw the information too.

SB (maybe you'll score a comp'd bottle of wine?) :wink:

Hi Steve,

I'm hoping to try Mr. Friendly's (and others mentioned here) on my trip next weekend. I'll be sure to pass on the best wishes from you and the eGullet folks.

I'm looking forward to it.

Larry

• 3 weeks later...

deibu, Blue Marlin! That's it. My friend and I ate there for lunch one day. I wanted to try different places while we were there, but I was tempted to go back there the next day. (Of course the really cute waitress had something to do with that.) Thanks for refreshing my memory.

-Greg

• 2 weeks later...
I recommend these:

Mr. Friendly's

Gervais & Vine

Also would recommend Momo's Bistro on Devine St.  Would be less likely to recommend Dianne's, although some people like it...However, for lunch, the Dianne's people also own another place - DiPrato's, which is really good.

Gervais & Vine is a fun place. Sit at the bar & watch them make the tapas right there. Just don't sit too far to the left, as you (and your glass of wine) will roast by the grill.

we make it a point to eat at Dianne's every other year when we are in cola and have always enjoyed it how ever I must admit that the first time we visited was the best (part of that might have had some thing to do w/ the fact that our waitress was a dead ringer for Cindy Crawford--complete w/ the mole! despite the obvious "handicap" the Fuss even liked her) and it has been some what hit or miss since but usually hit and when they do miss they do their best to atone for errors.

We had a really bad experience at Blue Marlin a few years ago that turned me off the place and I try to steer people clear of that particular restaurant (it was a repeat visit and on the second go 'round the food was not very good, the service was down right awful and the on-duty manager decided to set up shop w/ her adding machine in the booth directly across fr/ us to do waiter check outs; complete w/ a glass of wine, lit cigarette, a parade of wait staff in various stages of dress and volume, and the coupe de grace--removing her shoes and rubbing her feet as we were trying to eat). I would not be so upset about the incident except for the fact that I sent a letter to the owner as soon as we got home. After not hearing any thing for a month I gave the benefit of the doubt to him and sent a copy of the same letter w/ a cover letter of explanation for a second letter (lost in the mail, over looked, &c). It has been about six years and I still have not heard any thing so I definitely do not recommend Blue Marlin.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

I had a great meal back in July at Hanks, I was expecting a simple ingredient driven seafood restaurant, but was surprised by some interesting flavor combinations and very thoughtful presentations. It was also a very fun atmosphere!! Especially the community table where about 15 guests dine together...a great idea!!