• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sushi in Seattle

for high end: i'll second/third/fourth Saito's over Nishino's. their sushi/sashimi is always well above par, they have an extensive sake list, and the best part, their GREEN TEA TIRAMISU. mmm....

in terms of more casual sushi/japanese, i would suggest sitting at the bar at Hiroshi's . Hiroshi's sushi is creative yet still traditional. he also highlights one (or more) seasonal ingredients and makes a full fresh sheet of items with them. a highly underrated neighbourhood restaurant on eastlake (a much better choice than i love sushi, imho).

What do you guys think of I Love Sushi on Eastlake? I haven't been in a few years, but remember it being pretty good.

After the guy who now owns Kisaku left I Love Sushi, I haven't been back. Last I remember, they were "eh". Not bad, not remarkable.

Edited by tinyhandful (log)

I agree; I love sushi hasn't been great since Nakano left to do Kisaku. Love Kisaku, by the way.

I went to Daimonji a few weeks ago because it was close by, and was really saddened that the quality of their sushi has dropped. I'll be sticking to Maruta from now on.

There's a 95% probability that Saito's Green Tea Tiramisu is made by Hiroki in Greenlake, across from Eva's, just inches from Kisaku.

for high end: i'll second/third/fourth Saito's over Nishino's.  their sushi/sashimi is always well above par, they have an extensive sake list, and the best part, their GREEN TEA TIRAMISU.  mmm....

Edited by JasonTrue (log)

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

• 3 weeks later...

I just had a pretty good lunch at Shiki. Haven't eaten in many Japanese restaurants in Seattle yet, but the sashimi (particularly the aji, hamachi, and uni) is very fresh. Henry had the tonkatsu and it was a full 2" thick, and juicy. Inexpensive too! And apparently Ken is the only chef licensed to do fugu in Seattle...? Looking forward to trying Saito's next.