• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sushi in Seattle

We are not big sushi eaters as my wife is allergic to fish but we are entertaining friends from NYC who want to know the best place in Seattle for sushi. So please, post your favorites.

Traditional - Saito (Belltown, but calm)

Non-traditional - Mashiko (West Seattle, a bit funky, an egullet favorite)

High Style - Nishino's (Madison, beautiful, can be expensive)

Also, Chiso (Fremont) and the place in "Tangletown" that I can never remember by name.

You may get some more specific suggestios if you add ambiance, price, or part of town that you desire.

Thanks for these. Our friends are staying downtown, like classy places and are big spenders.

Given these criteria, I'd say Nishino is the place to go, though Mashiko is still my favorite overall.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Thanks for these. Our friends are staying downtown, like classy places and are big spenders.

Given these criteria, I'd say Nishino is the place to go, though Mashiko is still my favorite overall.

Shiro's would also fit the bill, and the neighborhood is a lot more fun when you get done with dinner.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Shiro's would also fit the bill, and the neighborhood is a lot more fun when you get done with dinner.

I guess that chipped linoleum tables and grubby carpet doesn't say "classy" to me. Have they remodeled?

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

I guess that chipped linoleum tables and grubby carpet doesn't say "classy" to me. Have they remodeled?

I've never noticed that. I like Nishino, but I thought the decor was 80s tacky, so there! :raz: All they need is some Nagel posters and perpetual light mirrors to complete the look.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

No fighting you two or I'm going to have to send you to seperate states :raz:

I would choose Nishino or Kisaku based on your requirements. Mashiko is just too.......funky for me.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

I don't think folks from NYC are going to want to to the burbs of Wallingford or Northgate, so I'd stick with Saito's is the place. You can tell them Ichiro eats thers.

(BTW There needs to be sushi bar with an excellent view of the sound.)

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

I've never noticed that.  I like Nishino, but I thought the decor was 80s tacky, so there! :raz:  All they need is some Nagel posters and perpetual light mirrors to complete the look.

:laugh:

I guess the truth is that there really aren't any sushi places in Seattle that you go to for the ambiance/interior. Nikko in the Westin was pretty cool, but the sushi was sub-par.

I don't think folks from NYC are going to want to to the burbs of Wallingford or Northgate, so I'd stick with Saito's is the place.  You can tell them Ichiro eats thers.

(BTW There needs to be sushi bar with an excellent view of the sound.)

I concur; downtown Saito's is best. If they don't mind the drive, I think they'd like Nishino a lot, although if you're going for a view, Sanmi is great and I think better than Nishino and Saito.

What do people think of the Wasabi Bistro? I've only ever been in for a quick drink at happy hour, or a cup of miso soup when I'm not feeling well.

They must be doing pretty well -- the owner/chef just opened a new restaurant called <a href="http://www.redfinsushi.com/about.html" target="_blank">Red Fin</a> in the Hotel Max (formerly the Vance Hotel) where the the Yakima Grill used to be.

A few years ago I went to a little sushi place with a view of the marina at the south side of Magnolia (?). It was sort of tucked away, in the shadow of some large spendy pac. nw. restaurant. And only a few tables actually had a view of the marina.

It wouldn't suit downtown big spenders at all. But does anyone know the name of the place I am weakly describing? Is it any good? I don't remember. I was on a date, and wasn't very focused on the food, I am afraid.

Robin Tyler McWaters

What do you guys think of I Love Sushi on Eastlake? I haven't been in a few years, but remember it being pretty good.

After the guy who now owns Kisaku left I Love Sushi, I haven't been back. Last I remember, they were "eh". Not bad, not remarkable.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been to the eastlake I Love Sushi but if it's anything like the one on the east side that I've been to then don;t waste your time. Garbage. Poor selection, not great quality. It might as well have been supermarket sushi. I have lately taken to liking Tsukushinbo in the ID. It's family-owned and has been around for 16 years. It's just around the corner from Maneki.

Bacon starts its life inside a piglet-shaped cocoon, in which it receives all the nutrients it needs to grow healthy and tasty.

-baconwhores.com

Bacon, the Food of Joy....

-Sarah Vowell

sanmi's in magnolia-best secret in town

meneke in the id-great value

kisaku at greenlake-between the two

Alas, Sanmi has closed it's doors. I really liked that place.

Another place I really like....Ototo on Queen Anne. The sushi is great, but the Tuna Tataki salad is what keeps me coming back.

• 3 months later...

I went to Red Fin Sushi (6th & Stewart) Saturday and it was great. I got the Barbie Roll (A Shrimp Tempura roll with an outer skin of seared salmon), the Lobster Tempura Roll, King Crab nigiri, Snow Crab nigiri, some Otoro (Fatty Tuna) and a couple of fried shrimp heads (and a pepsi). It came to $40 plus tip. The presentation was impecible and quite arty. The service was very good, but we got there at 6pm so the servers outnumbered us 5-1. The place isn't very big and the lighting is low. I would say it is probably a romantic place to go (especially if you make reservations in the adjoining Hotel Max).

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

• 8 months later...

Bumping this topic back up... I want to buy a gift certificate for a friend of mine living in Seattle -- he and his girlfriend love sushi, although unfortunately, I don't know the name of their favorite place.

I don't think environment is that important; they just like good fish. Where should I send them? I'd prefer something mid-tier and not outrageously expensive, but if Nishino or something else is really heads and shoulders above the rest, that's fine too.

Thanks! (And if you ever need reciprocal advice about Philadelphia, just ask. Although, in my opinion, we don't really have good sushi...)

ETA: How about Shiro's? The consensus on it back in 2002 was that it was good, albeit expensive... I'm getting hungry (and jealous) just looking at the menu.

Edited by Diann (log)