• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Once A Critic, Always a Critic?

Ruth, I know that you haven't been a restaurant reviewer in quite a few years, but you did spend a considerable part of your career as a critic.

When you eat out, do you still find yourself sub-consciously writing an imaginary review, thinking about how you would rate the restaurant if it were still your job to do so?

Or, is reviewing totally out of your system, and you simply dine as a regular patron?

Ruth, I know that you haven't been a restaurant reviewer in quite a few years, but you did spend a considerable part of your career as a critic.

When you eat out, do you still find yourself sub-consciously writing an imaginary review, thinking about how you would rate the restaurant if it were still your job to do so?

Or, is reviewing totally out of your system, and you simply dine as a regular patron?

Imaginary reviews? Not me. I'm really thrilled just to go out and eat and enjoy the experience. I'm not really a natural critic - I like food too much for that, enjoy the theater of dining and tend to pretty much take things as they come. It was always an act of will to stop myself from just getting into the meal, sitting back and having a good time. Some people spend their lives rating things, trying to decide if this is the third best or fourth best version of whatever is before them. I don't do that without effort, so now I am completely happy to just go out with my friends and have dinner.