• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Glasses for Scotch

eatmorepesto

My husband enjoys scotch.  We don't have any nice glasses for him to use.  I want to get him some for Christmas.  What does a traditional scotch glass look like?

They are a little costly, but I have four Reidel single malt glasses--you can see a picture in most Reidel ads. I really enjoy mine, otherwise I enjoy scotch in a small cocktail glass.

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

I'm not sure what a "traditional" Scotch glass looks like -- I've have Scotch served in everything from a rocks glass to a brandy snifter.

But these are what Riedel makes for single malts.

Personally, I like the shape and feel of another Riedel glass for sipping whisky -- the "Viogner/Chardonnay" glass in the "O" series. Although I'm not crazy about these glasses for wine, the Viogner O glass makes a great glass for other things. I use it as a rocks glass, and for sipping spirits.

A while back I was fortunate to receive a set of 4 Reidel Single Malt glasses as a gift. I found them to be a bit clumsy, to tell you the truth, so I exchanged three of them for their Port Wine Copitas and held on to one. I like the Copitas so much better- they really focus the nose and are the perfect size to boot- that I would not hesitate to recommend them.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

I gave a set of two Riedel scotch glasses and a nice bottle of Eagle Rare bourbon to a friend on his 40th birthday. He still tells me it's one of his favorite gifts ever. :wub:

I like the idea of using the "O" glasses for spirits. They make the wine get warm in your hand so like JAZ, I don't really like them for wine either, but this sounds like a very good use for them.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Just wanted to add that SMSW tastes just fine in my Riedel Bourbon glass... It just seems to taste sweeter at half the price of the 'single malt' glass!

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Just wanted to add that SMSW tastes just fine in my Riedel Bourbon glass... It just seems to taste sweeter at half the price of the 'single malt' glass!

This Bourbon glass looks suspiciously like the Riedel Gourmet Glass that I've always liked for all purpose use.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Ceremonial use a silver tassie (small bowl).

Go, fetch to me a pint o' wine,

And fill it in a silver tassie,

That I may drink before I go

A service to my bonie lassie!

I WANT ONE!!

A silver tassie, I mean. The bonie lassie I already have.

--

ID

--

Ceremonial use a silver tassie (small bowl).

Go, fetch to me a pint o' wine,

And fill it in a silver tassie,

That I may drink before I go

A service to my bonie lassie!

I think Burn's silver tassie would be rather on the large side for serving whisky and more of a goblet than the traditional shallow bowl (quaich), allegedly modelled on the scallop shell that it replaced. Certainly pre 18th C quaichs tend to be of alternating bands of pale and dark wood that are reminiscent of the ribbed effect on a scallop shell (and on the whole quaichs are scallop shell sized rather than something that would hold a pint of wine).

A google search on quaich will throw up a fair number of businesses that can supply them mail order (in wood, pewter, silver plate or silver and designs ranging from the thoroughly twee to Scandinaviam influenced modernist).

A quaich's not really the thing to sip whisky out of in front of the fire , keep it for weddings and Christenings (and Burns' Night). A nice straight sided , heavy tumbler or a traditional blenders glass (a stumpy, stemless tulip shape with a hefty base) would be far better for ordinary use.

Many of the big name malts seem to sell branded blenders glasses these days.

gethin

Edited by gethin (log)

If your husband enjoys scotch, he might also enjoy reading about it! You might also consider a subscription to "Malt Advocate", a magazine for those of us who appreciate malt beverages. In the back of each issue they have a section called, The Marketplace, where you can order various items, such as books, flasks, and nosing glasses.

You can also go to this site: https://www.maltadvocate.com/active_content/marketplace.asp

to see the glasses they have available.

Bob R in OKC

Bob R in OKC

Home Brewer, Beer & Food Lover!

I always thought the "traditional" shape for a scotch glass was this one.

From what I've read elsewhere (a big fan of SB at the moment), that was the traditional shape for sampling Scotch in the past. But now, it appears that the "shape of the moment" is like the Riedel Bourbon glass I mentioned above, or like the glasses seen here.

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

• 4 weeks later...

I loved some of the suggestions, especially the tumblers. I saw the Riedel single malt glasses but didn't like them very much. Also the Riedel O glasses were too delicate. I thought the glasses needed to be heavy and manly. I bought some Crate and Barrel single malt glasses and another set of Italian crystal tumblers from Marshall's which said to rinse in vinegar before using which I wondered about until I read in this thread Storing Spirits in Lead Crystal, What are the Dangers?. I also bought some Calvin Klein glasses from Macy's but returned them after I realized they were just too big to get a good grip.

I haven't given him any of the glasses yet. He had too many other gifts, so this weekend I'm going to let him choose which ones he likes better, for New Year's.

I really liked the idea of the magazine subscription, but I didn't get around to it.

I loved some of the suggestions, especially the tumblers.  I saw the Riedel single malt glasses but didn't like them very much.  Also the Riedel O glasses were too delicate.  I thought the glasses needed to be heavy and manly.  I bought some Crate and Barrel single malt  glasses and another set of Italian crystal tumblers from Marshall's which said to rinse in vinegar before using which I wondered about until I read in this thread  Storing Spirits in Lead Crystal, What are the Dangers?.  I also bought some Calvin Klein glasses from Macy's but returned them after I realized they were just too big to get a good grip.

I haven't given him any of the glasses yet.  He had too many other gifts, so this weekend I'm going to let him choose which ones he likes better, for New Year's.

I really liked the idea of the magazine subscription, but I didn't get around to it.

I too like Katy love the O glasses for scotch, but my faves are the ones that come with some 15 year old Bruichladie (sp?), they're kind of thick and have a graceful thick wasted curve that allows you to swirl and get a great nose. Riedels are great for the palate but not great for nosing in my opinion.

PS Love the Eagle Rare, possible my favourite Bourbon...

PS Love the Eagle Rare, possible my favourite Bourbon...

Me too, obviously. An extremely close second lately has been the Buffalo Trace bourbon, which has been on sale for $19.99 this month in PA.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!