• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food-blogging: competitor to formal publications?

Ms. Reichl,

Thank you for your responses to our numerous questions here. My personal collection of Gourmet Magazine dates back to the 1980's and I am thrilled to be able read your personal insights!

I have been observing the rise of the food blog as a form of personal journalism over the recent past. Blogs on food have become increasingly sophisticated and some actually have the look on online publications. The professional-looking photography of the recipes today in many blogs is almost as good as that of the established food magazine. Bloggers even accept advertising and some request books to review from publishing companies.

My question is simply this: what do you think of food blogging and how has it affected the formal food publication world?

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"