• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Fine Dining in Atlanta

babern38

I will most likely be visiting Atlanta just before christmas and would like to get some recs for a great, fancy, restaurant that has a tasting menu. Price is not really an option.

Also, my fiancee is a vegetarian, so it would be nice if the place was also friendly and accomodating to her needs. I look forward to your suggestions.

It was over a year ago that I went, but I still think about the meal we had at The Food Studio, which is in the King Plow Arts Center. Hopefully some of the locals can tell you if it's still high on the 'good' list! Great food, comfortable atmosphere, legit wine list...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

There are a number of local fine dining restaurants which offer excellent tasting menus:

Ritz Carlton Buckhead: The Dining Room

tasting menu at Soto Japanese photography by Julia Rachel

Kyma Greek and located in Buckhead

Seeger

The prix-fixe menu is four courses that change daily for $105, not including wines, and $125 for an eight-course tasting menu. Vegetarians note: This chef is so capable with the preparation of vegetables that a multi-course vegetarian meal (even if it's vegan) will take you to the zenith.

Canoe

Park 75 in the Four Seasons Hotel

Restaurant Eugene

Nikolai's Roof in the Hilton

Bacchanalia

Joel Restaurant

excellent thread with photos on the Tasting Menus of Atlanta

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Lots of places in Atlanta offer tasting menus. The ones with which I've got personal and recent experience are The Dining Room (except that I've not been since the new chef started---I'll be correcting the situation in a week or so), Seeger's (also haven't been since he redecorated and reportedly improved the previously awkward service), and Bacchanalia. I'm pretty sure that all three of these offer vegetarian options.

I think I heard that Soto had changed back to an a la carte format, and in any case it was never a fancy restaurant.

Nikolai's Roof is a bit old school, very much an expense account place for out of town business folk with deep pockets.

Park 75 is very nice, but I've not been recently enough to comment. Fantastic desserts.

Restaurant Eugene is lovely, lots of locally sourced things, cooking style influenced by chef's southern upbringing.

I've never had a real tasting menu at Joel---it's mostly a la carte, three courses, though there is a prix fixe option on weeknights.

Neither Kyma, Food Studio, nor Canoe is sufficiently upmarket to qualify as a "great, fancy restaurant." I've had really not great meals lately at both Kyma and Food Studio, and Canoe is just really pretty casual.

If you want to forego fancy but still get a great tasting menu, go to One Midtown Kitchen on either a Monday or Tuesday and have Richard Blais feed you at the kitchen bar.

Edit to add Quinones Room, a relatively new restaurant that's actually part of restaurant I've already mentioned, Bacchanalia: fancier room, more courses. I've not yet tried it.

Edited by therese (log)

Can you pee in the ocean?

Seeger's. . . Seegers!

Seriously, I ate at the chef's table at Seeger's about two weeks ago and he blew my mind.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

• 2 weeks later...

Strongly second Ned! Just returned from Europe where I dined at two Michelin three star restaurants. Neither restaurant could claim the standard set by Seeger for either food, service or for that matter, since his remake, ambience.

If money is not an object, though Seegers is not nearly the most expensive in town, then do yourself and your fiance a favor and dine there. When making your reservation, mention that one of you is a vegetarian, and you'll find out just how sublime veggies can be.

Jay

You are what you eat.

Seegers is excellent, I have not been since the new opening but I was never one of the people who had a problem. Joel has a tasting menu but you must ask for it and it changes during the course of service, no set print menu. You basically put yourself in the chef's hands, well worth it IMHO. Canoe? never knew they had a tasting menu and have not been since the new chef took over. The Dining Room Ritz(Buckhead) is great but I have only dined there when chef Menard was at the helm. Bacchanalia is good and do not forget to stop in their shop (Star Provisions) for some fantastic cheeses and whatnot.

Canoe does not have a tasting menu. One can be arranged if the reservation is made ahead of time. The sous there is my brother and i also know Carvel, the Exec. Chef. Both would be happy to devise a menu for you.