• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

delicious magazine

PCL

I recently found out about this mag and have only seen their website. They've won some awards and have a decent Melbourne editor, Matt Preston who also writes in epicure, but I've never seen it on the shelves.

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's in - or has been - in the Coles where I live, often by the registers.

I haven't looked at it for a while but it's not bad, seems to shoot for a market above the sort of "87 ways to add pizazz to mince!" mags and less exclusive than the Gourmet Traveller type lifestyle publications. Jamie Oliver and Stefano de Pierri (is that his name? the Murray River guy...I'm blanking) are in it a lot.

I think it's also published by our only compulsory pay-TV station, a.k.a. the ABC.

I've got a few back issues if you'd like to check them out. I can generally find it in a newsagent here.

They've got good photos, celeb. contributors and the quick and easy -but seems impressive- menus. The demographic seems to be white-collar with some money to spend, but not extravagant.

The dishes I've made have been pretty good. But I don't find I return to the mag for ideas. One read and I'm done.

If only Jack Nicholson could have narrated my dinner, it would have been perfect.

Hi PCL, you should be able to get it at all the newsagents, and supermarkets, as SydneyJames mentioned, it is a ABC publication. often features Nigella Lawson, Jamie Oliver, Jill Dupleix, Rick Stein, Maggie Beer, Stephanie Alexander, Bill Granger, it is very popular and won a few awards, personally it doesn't really do it for me, I don't really find it inspiring, as far as food magazines go. I like the New Zealand Cuisine.

Sydneyjames is pretty much on the mark with his description - in between, happy homemaker magazine, and gourmet traveller. Published by the ABC. Critically successful– Best Food Mag @ some cookbook awards, and commercially successful, as the format is now published in England.

I will go further and go to bat for it thought - as I am a subscriber. Was delivered yesterday in fact! FYI - I subscribe to delicious, gourmet-traveller and g-t wine. Buy Divine and NZ cuisine when I have time.

When it first came out I derided it as another copy cat/trendy mag jumping on the ever-burgeoning foodie trend. But I changed my tune because:

· It was cheap to buy. (now $6.50 @ newsagents but less than $5 subscribing)

· It is Australian.

· It has columns from all the celeb chefs (so I did not have to buy their merchandise!)

· The monthly regional foodie trip article is excellent and is my favourite part every month! This month Great ocean Road. I now use this as a reference more than gourmet for regional Australian travel.

· And lastly, I do cook out of it more than gourmet traveller now adays. But this is more to do with the convenient accessible mid-week slap together type recipes the mag carries. Such if life…..

In short - I like it. Look forward to it monthly. Fills a niche Gourmet Traveller does not fill for me. I say give it a read this month!

PS I have never been to the website! Interesting, considering my cyber additction. On my way now….

cheers

ozmouse

melbourne

I always take a quick skim through the magazine, but this morning I took one for the team and decided to actually buy the November issue.

IMO the food photography is excellent, clean and clear...some are truly drool inducive! The recipes are straightforward, especially nice for me since most of the ingredients are readily available to me.

Among all the delicious ideas, the lamb burger on pg. 124 is something I may try to make this weekend, it looks wicked with the beetroot salsa!

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

· And lastly, I do cook out of it more than gourmet traveller now adays.  But this is more to do with the convenient accessible mid-week slap together type recipes the mag carries.  Such if life…..

Speaking of Gourmet Traveller and the recipes, I saw this in a little box on page 156 of their November issue with their report on Damien Pignolet and his cookbook, "French". RECIPE NOTE: These recipes are an extract from French. In editing them for publication, we strived to make only minimal changes to bring them into our style, preserving Damien Pignolet's voice as much as possible"

I don't have the "French" book in front of me, but looking at the recipes, they seem to be as long and as detailed as in the book. I wonder what the Australian Gourmet Traveller "style" is. :blink:

Daniel Chan aka "Shinboners"

I had a bet going with a mate that every month, a synonym of either 'fast', 'fresh' or 'easy' would appear on the cover of this magazine. After several months, I finally lost.

It's a very pretty magazine, with lots of great photos. I've been a bit disappointed with some of the recipes in the past. The trick is to look at the photos and then make your own version of what you think it'd be like. Pretty much everything is designed to be quick and there's lots of encouragment for people who don't really cook fresh stuff normally. Most of the ads are for things like Chicken Tonight and sweet chilli creamcheese dip, so I guess if you give up on cooking the real stuff, you know what to do.

It does fill a useful niche, though, as Vogue and Gourmet Traveller come off as being incredibly stuffy. (Try reading articles aloud in your best comedy Toorak accent.) Another un-stuffy magazine with pretty photos and (IMO) more interesting content is Dish from NZ.

I don't really buy it anymore, mostly because I don't think the recipes are very interesting, and there aren't a lot of articles or reviews. Also, I got a bit tired of the aren't-we-naughty identification of the desserts section as 'wicked' and the enormous sections of gluten-free, sugar-free, flavour-free dishes. (No offence intended to the truly allergic.)

i lurrrrrve the Aussie version. picked up a couple of issues while passing through KL. the UK version is good too but i like the other more. too bad i can't get the Aussie version here in NL. the photography is incredible!