• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Absolute Best Cheesecake Recipes

Luckylies

I just posted my Mom's cheesescake recipe that goes back at least 30 years.  I don't honestly know where it came from.  It's very creamy, but light, and uses the separated eggs as you've asked.

(Can't yet figure out how to link to the egullet recipes.  It's called

Roz's Cheesecake.)  :sad:

Here you go: Roz's Cheesecake

Here's how you do it: go to recipe and copy the URL. Return to post and click on the little [http://] box above your post. Follow directions. The URL will appear in the text of your post, but whatever you call it (Roz's Cheesecake) will appear in the actual post.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

I just posted my Mom's cheesescake recipe that goes back at least 30 years.  I don't honestly know where it came from.  It's very creamy, but light, and uses the separated eggs as you've asked.

(Can't yet figure out how to link to the egullet recipes.  It's called

Roz's Cheesecake.)   :sad:

Here you go: Roz's Cheesecake

Here's how you do it: go to recipe and copy the URL. Return to post and click on the little [http://] box above your post. Follow directions. The URL will appear in the text of your post, but whatever you call it (Roz's Cheesecake) will appear in the actual post.

Thanks so much! :biggrin:

Cheri

www.cheri-pie.com

Life is too short. Eat good chocolate.

• 1 month later...

Any plain cheesecake recipe really. I think I'll play with flavours after I've got the basics down. Don't have a specific type of cheesecake in mind, anything that's worked for you and that's yummy.

I'm planning on getting Bo Friberg's Professional Pastry Chef book, is there a good recipe in there? If not is there a book that someone can recommend?

Any additional tips and hints are appreciated :smile:.

Well if you want to start with a completely blank slate, 1 lg. egg and 1/4 c. sugar per 8 oz. cream cheese is just about as basic as it gets. Leaves a lot of room for whatever experimenting you want to do.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

More or less I agree with Tri2Cook's ratios.

In cheesecakes where I use melted chocolate (white or dark), those cakes tend to set up firmer after refrigeration and follow the ratios mentioned before.

In cheesecakes where I use fruit purees and no chocolate, I will generally add one additional egg to the batter to help it set up more firmly. Texture-wise it is similar, but slicing and presentation are a lot nicer if the middle of the cake isn't slightly runny.

One big thing that I've found is that once you start adding your eggs at the end of the mixing, do not overmix the batter. It will incorporate too much air into the mix and will souffle in the oven (with a possible falling in the center as it cools).

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

Yeah, the egg and sugar amounts and whether or not you want a little flour/cornstarch/etc. has to be messed with/decided depending on what you plan to put in there. I was talking about a completely blank slate. I guess it's actually an almost completely blank slate because you could even leave out or greatly reduce the sugar if you're doing a savory cheesecake.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Well if you want to start with a completely blank slate, 1 lg. egg and 1/4 c. sugar per 8 oz. cream cheese is just about as basic as it gets. Leaves a lot of room for whatever experimenting you want to do.

To this ratio I also add 2 tbsp heavy cream.

This one is lovely--very creamy and rich, and the hint of Grand Marnier gives it a really nice flavor. I usually top it it with fresh fruit--strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, whatever is out there. It comes from the _The Los Angeles Times California Cookbook_.

Classic Cheesecake

MaryMc

Seattle, WA