• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Porters-Raleigh

ditsydine

I've been scratching my head wondering why I have not ever gone to Porter's on Hillsborough street before. It is in my budget range, the atmosphere is nice, and the food was great.

As I am having to reduce my fat intake per my doctor's orders, this was my last post-Thanksgiving splurge.

Shared an appetizer of tempura greenbeans with friends (sorry I don't have the menu), but I think it was a cajun mayonaise. While they were a bit on the greasy side, they were delicious, and served in a cute little tin bucket.

I opted for just their regular burger, what made me happy was that I was able to order it medium rare--I am sick of not having this option. It was delivered on a nice onion roll, and per my choice lettuce, mayo, mustard, onions and tomato..oh cheddar cheese. Yum! For a side I chose their macaroni and cheese. It was by far the most flavorful mac'n'cheese I've ever had. I didn't taste my companions dishes, but the plates of fancy nachos looked pretty damn good.

-----------------

AMUSE ME

I agree that the burger at Porters is excellent. I also was mildly surprised when they asked me how I wanted it cooked, and they didn't limit that choice! The burgers are almost too large, as they start to fall apart, but that's a problem with which I can live. :wink:

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I agree that the burger at Porters is excellent.  I also was mildly surprised when they asked me how I wanted it cooked, and they didn't limit that choice!  The burgers are almost too large, as they start to fall apart, but that's a problem with which I can live.  :wink:

I am not the most demure, but I long ago discovered that if I cut said type of burgers in two...volia!

-----------------

AMUSE ME

There is an unfortunate law in NC, enacted after the Jack in the Box e.coli problems, that a restaurant must cook burgers all the way through - no rare burgers. However, I've heard that if a place grinds its own hamburger daily, it can serve rare or medium rare. I don't know for sure if this is true, however.

There is an unfortunate law in NC, enacted after the Jack in the Box e.coli problems, that a restaurant must cook burgers all the way through - no rare burgers. However, I've heard that if a place grinds its own hamburger daily, it can serve rare or medium rare. I don't know for sure if this is true, however.

I believe this is true. I am not sure they have to grind their own, but the meat has to come from a local butcher that grinds it.

My husband and I have spotted one of the owners of Eddie's Place in Charlotte buying ground beef from The Fresh Market. Eddie's is one of the few places in town that cooks your burger to order. Therefore, Eddie's is one of the few places we will get a burger in Charlotte.

(Chargrill-overated, the fries taste frozen, for fast food, cookout is the best burger--I think people dig it for nostaglia value, I do love the original building.)

Harrison's Bar and Grill also let's you chose how you want your meat, so Debbie, I do believe you are right

-----------------

AMUSE ME

I'll second or third the food recommendation but I have to say we received really bad service when we brought our kid with us. I know it's a tavern and all and that they do not intend to cater to kids (although they do have a kid's menu) but the attitude we received caused my wife to swear we would not be going back--even without our son--and despite the fact she loves their fish taco. Too bad for me I guess as I'm ashamed to say I'm willing to put up with some rudeness for a good and conveniently located burger.

I'll second or third the food recommendation but I have to say we received really bad service when we brought our kid with us.  I know it's a tavern and all and that they do not intend to cater to kids (although they do have a kid's menu) but the attitude we received caused my wife to swear we would not be going back--even without our son--and despite the fact she loves their fish taco.  Too bad for me I guess as I'm ashamed to say I'm willing to put up with some rudeness for a good and conveniently located burger.

Maybe give it a second shot. We take our kids there all the time, and the staff is always very accomodating. Plus, the noise helps drown out any unwanted sounds from our children

Zeb,

Thanks for the post. We have actually been several times and received good service on most occasions but the last two times we went there seemed to be a particular edge. Perhaps its just us.

At any rate, enough on the negatives. I really was posting to note that a couple of days ago we received an email from a representative of Porters who said they monitored egullet and other sites in order to get feedback. First, the individual apologized for our negative experience and second also assured us that they had reemphasized for their staff the importance of treating all guests--even the younger ones--with the same attention to detail that I have found carries through in other aspects of their operation.

Kudos for Porters for monitoring egullet and for taking time to not only respond but also address my concerns with their staff. The response was noted by my wife who I think has now agreed to pay a return visit.

• 1 month later...

I took my 12 year old son to Porters last evening after he finished up with soccer practice. He put on his adidas warm-ups, but he was still concerned that he wasn't dressed appropriately: "Dad, will they kick people out if they're not dressed right?" They didn't kick us out -- in fact, they made my son feel as if he was a most valued customer. The waitress took care of us perfectly, treating my son like the budding adult he is. All too often waitstaff treat kids like babies, ignore them, or just act goofy. This woman was extremely professional and explained the menu to him as if he were an adult. It was great.

Anyhow, he ordered an appetizer of fried calamari tossed in an Asian barbecue sauce, which is hoisin, rice vinegar, ginger and chili pepper -- not very hot, but enough for him. We loved the dish, although Everett commented that they probably oversauced it a bit.

He had a bacon cheeseburger (ordered medium) and I had the braised lamb shank. My son didn't turn his nose up at the onion roll, but his eyes nearly popped out of his head when he saw the size of the burger. He managed to eat about two-thirds of it -- not a bad showing! He also loved the chips, with ranch dressing, of course. The lamb shank was pretty good, but the flavor of the meat was almost overpowered by the braising liquid/vegetable combination.

Porters is not cheap family dinner, but it's a great place to take an adolescent who is looking to try things other than fast food. Yeah, he still got a burger, but he got a damn fine one at that.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites