• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How To Be A Restaurant Critic

Thank you for being with us this week, Mrs. Reichl.

I've always wondered if you had any particular methodology when it came to reviewing restaurants. Some critics give equal weight to food, service and decor. Others seem to concentrate solely on the food, granting proportionally less weight to its companion elements.

As a tangent to this question, is there any advice that you would give to the Times critic, either now or in the future?

Thank you for being with us this week, Mrs. Reichl.

I've always wondered if you had any particular methodology when it came to reviewing restaurants.  Some critics give equal weight to food, service and decor.  Others seem to concentrate solely on the food, granting proportionally less weight to its companion elements.

As a tangent to this question, is there any advice that you would give to the Times critic, either now or in the future?

I wouldn't dream of offering advice to the Times critic. It would not be appreciated.

Methodology: Go a lot of times, try to eat all the food, try to be as fair as possible, try to give your readers a sense of what they'll experience when they go there. Most importantly, try to make it a great read. That's pretty much it. The restaurant itself dictates how much weight you need to give to the various elements. Sometimes it's all about the food; most times it's not. My basic theory is that very few people go out just to eat: Most go for the theater of dining, and I always tried to take that into consideration.