• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Potato Pancakes--Cook-Off 16

Chris Amirault

I always make potato pancakes at the holidays.

Russets grated in the cuisinart (I know...I know...)

onion also grated

Squeeze out the liquid and add a bit of flour and an egg

Fry in duck fat in the cast iron

served as Daniel does with creme fraiche and caviar

YUM!!

(if I could get image gullet to work I could grab a picture i have in there....)

I have a pile of very nice sweet potatoes that I need to use up. I will probably do a variation of my SIL's kartoffelpuffer. Maybe with smoked salmon and horseradish cream...

(Kartoffelpuffer=best food name ever.)

Here's the version that I've always known, you know, what "mom used to make". I don't ever remember the shredded potato version, just the leftover mashed potato kind.

I simply add egg, flour, salt and pepper to the consistency of pancake batter. Today, I also added parsley and chives.

I plan to try some of the other latkes mentioned already, but since I am just using up the last of the Turkey Day spuds, I thought I'd post . More to come.

gallery_24065_1826_569176.jpg

Thanks monavano! I tried the mashed potato version tonight as I had some leftover mashed potatoes. They were great! A different animal than the grated version but I really enjoyed them as well. I added one lightly beaten egg to about 2 cups of seasoned mashed potatoes (these had cream and butter in them from before also), ~ 4-5 Tbs flour and a little milk to make them a little thinner. Cooked them in an iron skillet with canola oil. My skillet is virtually nonstick so it doesn't take much oil. I made them relatively thin, ~ 1/4 inch thick. They got a nice thin crispy coating and maintained a soft creamy interior. I had them with applesauce and sour cream.

I have a pile of very nice sweet potatoes that I need to use up. I will probably do a variation of my SIL's kartoffelpuffer. Maybe with smoked salmon and horseradish cream...

(Kartoffelpuffer=best food name ever.)

I must try a sweet potato version as well. And I agree re: the hilarious name. I didn't know that word until this thread, my mom just always calls them "potato pancakes". Maybe there was a good reason she uses the English name! :smile:

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

questions for y'all:

What differentiates potato pancakes from hash browns?

I belive the biggest difference is that a binder is usually used in Potato Pancakes but not in Hash Browns.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

After reading this thread, I went for impromptu potato pancakes this morning. I took a quick glance at the boxti recipe chrisamirault linked at the start, channelled my memories of mom's latkes & then looked at what I had in the pantry already: leftover cheesy mashed potatoes, some unused russets, and some leftover filling from a leek & onion tart with ground juniper berries.

I grated 1 small russet & then because I hate undercooked potatos I put the gratings in the microwate in some water for about 5 minutes till mostly cooked. I rinsed & drained them afterwards, but not I think enough as the final result was a bit moist.

Combined the cooked grated potato with about 1.5 cups of cheesy mashed potatoes, about 3 tablespoons of minced caramelized onion/leek mixture, a pinch of black pepper & 1/2 tsp salt.

Fried in a combo of oil & butter in a nonstick pan.

As I said, the mixture was too moist so they fought me a bit when I tried to flip them, but OMG they tasted fabulous! :wub:

celto-latkes on the stove:

gallery_20334_1332_119301.jpg

oh and I have to add that while my mom would make real latkes for channukah, we also just cheated & used the manischevitz box mix when we wanted them impromptu at other times of the year. Beats the heck out of waiting a full year for latkes :raz:

edited for typo

Edited by Eden (log)

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

After reading this thread, I went for impromptu potato pancakes this morning.  I took a quick glance at the boxti recipe chrisamirault linked at the start, channelled my memories of mom's latkes & then looked at what I had in the pantry already: leftover cheesy mashed potatoes, some unused russets, and some leftover filling from a leek & onion tart with ground juniper berries.

I grated 1 small russet & then because I hate undercooked potatos I put the gratings in the microwate in some water for about 5 minutes till mostly cooked.  I rinsed & drained them afterwards, but not I think enough as the final result was a bit moist.

Combined  the cooked grated potato with about 1.5 cups of cheesy mashed potatoes, about 3 tablespoons of minced caramelized onion/leek mixture, a pinch of black pepper & 1/2 tsp salt.

Fried in a combo of oil & butter in a nonstick pan. 

As I said, the mixture was too moist so they fought me a bit when I tried to flip them, but OMG they tasted fabulous!  :wub:

celto-latkes on the stove:

gallery_20334_1332_119301.jpg

oh and I have to add that while my mom would make real latkes for channukah, we also just cheated & used the manischevitz box mix when we wanted them impromptu at other times of the year. Beats the heck out of waiting a full year for latkes :raz:

edited for typo

You will get a crispier potato if you use Crisco when pan frying.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

You will get a crispier potato if  you use Crisco when pan frying.

yeah but it won't taste as good as frying in butter. Of course frying in bacon fat would be even better, but I didn't think of it till too late. I know, I know, my ancestors are spinning in their graves, but really bacon & latkes are the perfect breakfast combination :biggrin:

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

OK, I made the Thanksgiving-leftovers korokke, aka potato pancakes with stuffing.

First I took the leftover mashed potatoes and some of the stuffing and mixed them together, like so. I think it was 2/3 potatoes and 1/3 stuffing.

69529122_886b1bf5ea.jpg

Next I shaped them into ovals, to be dusted with flour, dipped in eggwash, and breaded with panko (Japanese breadcrumbs).

69529121_e779db74d7.jpg

I deep fried them (INDIVIDUALLY - I didn't have enough oil to use a bigger pot). I didn't have a thermometer, and I kind of suck at home deep-frying, so they came out with little dark spots and pale spots. I ate one tonight with chestnut rice, sweet potatoes, and... cranberry sauce instead of tonkatsu sauce for the korokke.

69528506_b5066f32a2.jpg

They tasted pretty good, although quite heavy. I'm not sure I'd make them again. (I was using regular mashed potatoes with butter and milk in them, so I think that didn't help.)

Jennie

One of my favorite potato pancakes is a very simple boxty (of Irish origins) that combines both mashed and grated potatoes. The recipe--which I've tweaked from the original--is from Lydie Marshall's wonderful book all about the fab spud called "A Passion for Potatoes," which includes a number of potato pancake recipes from around the world.

Boxty on the Griddle

1 cup mashed potatoes

3/4 c. finely grated raw potatoes (I use Yukons)

1 scant c. AP flour

3 TB bacon fat

1.5 tsp salt

Freshly ground pepper

Butter -- for melting on top

Combine raw & grated spuds. Gradually beat in flour and 2 TB bacon fat and seasonings. Knead till smooth. If dough gets too dry add in some reserved potato water. Cut dough into 4 pieces and form into 5-inch pancakes. Cut an X on the top of each one. Heat remaining fat in large nonstick skillet. Add boxties and cook for about 15 minutes on each side or till golden brown. Slice boxties into wedges and before serving spread butter over each wedge (the melting butter is essential!).

Edited by Steven Blaski (log)

Where and when does Chris fire the starter's pistol and say in his best Yiddish accent "On your mark, get set, go fry!"?

I am a fan of the not-so-very humble latke and will be joining in the greatest Cookoff since the Kansas Land Rush ...

Kansas Land Rush?

As my mother (born in Omaha; grew up in Horton, Kan.; KU alumna, BSN '54, MSN '70) used to say, "Nobody set out for the West saying, 'We're going to make our fortune in Kansas!' No, Kansas was where the wagons broke down en route."

Except, of course, for the Exodusters.

But I don't recall anyone serving knockout potato pancakes in Nicodemus, Kan.

Are there any parameters, Chris, or is it very freeform and casual in its requirements? :rolleyes:

As freeform as the pancakes themselves, I presume.

This may inspire me to make too much mashed potatoes soon and use the leftovers in potato pancakes.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Looks great, Wendy. How were they?

I pulled out the new Sara Moulton cookbook (Sara's Secrets for Weeknight Meals) to make her potato pancakes with smoked salmon and fried eggs today. I didn't have an easy source for smoked salmon, so I went with some smoked mackerel:

gallery_19804_437_13610.jpg

That Ducktrap Farms stuff is great. However, it's a more assertive fish, not as creamy as salmon, so I whipped up some cream and added a bit of beet-juice red horseradish, white pepper, lemon juice, and salt for a creamy element. As you'll see, it also added a color contrast that was beneficial.

Grated the russets and didn't do anything else save salt and pepper, per Sara's instructions. Then, I fried four piles in bacon grease (sorry for the goy touch):

gallery_19804_437_38436.jpg

Her directions suggested medium high heat, and I'd edge toward even higher; you need to get that base crust on both sides, and that really does require high heat. Here's what one pancake looked like on a small salad plate after cooking:

gallery_19804_437_41246.jpg

Good color, texture, and flavor (thank you, bacon grease). You're gotta slide the spatula under the pancakes repeatedly while they're cooking, and I turned them 90 degrees every now and then to insure even cooking (which was a trick).

As for serving, Moulton's proportions seemed a bit off to me: she had two eggs per pancake, which seemed to us to be two too many. So we went with one egg, shallots instead of red onions, capers, and the horseradish cream:

gallery_19804_437_30441.jpg

It kind of reminded me of the bibimbap cook-off, using the fried egg and starch (here, spud, there, rice) to combine a variety of textures, flavors, and so on; even the capers echoed kimchi.

As Moulton promised, the combination of fish, potato, cream, capers, and onion -- with the crunchy, meaty texture of the pancakes -- was excellent. It was a total smash hit. Still and all, I kind of felt that the pancakes (just grated russets, salt, pepper) were more hash browns than potato pancakes. More experimenting to do, clearly!

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Still and all, I kind of felt that the pancakes (just grated russets, salt, pepper) were more hash browns than potato pancakes. More experimenting to do, clearly!

Or a rosti... both of which aren't bad things. I'd add some raw onion and egg/flour to make it a pancake... but it looks delicious!

Well, Bubie Yetelah made some latkes today.

gallery_11814_1914_33401.jpg

Was a little heavy handed with the onions and on the salt, but the cool whipped sour cream balanced out the saltiness. Are these supposed to be good with applesauce, too?

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Yes, applesauce is traditional, in my experience, as is sour cream. I always liked to put applesauce on them when I was a kid. Does anyone put finely crumbled/chopped parsley in their latkes (I mean, in the dough-or-whatever, itself)? I seem to remember doing that when we made some at Hebrew School back when, but it could be a false memory. Yetty, what's the green thing you used to garnish your latkes?

Michael aka "Pan"

Michael, the latkes were garnished with skinny threads of garlic chives. I tried the pancakes with just sour cream, just applesauce and then with both sour cream and applesauce. OMG absolutely out-of-this-world delicious!

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Looks great, everyone! This weekend was our time to make them, too. We did last night and put smoked salmon, sour cream (we were going to use creme fraiche this time but didn't find any), and caviar on top. They were real good, and we have leftovers for brunch, but I am nowhere near ready with the photos. L8r!!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Those are gorgeous!

Does anyone put finely crumbled/chopped parsley in their latkes

I started adding Italian parsley and green onions to my basic recipe (grated russets or yukon golds, grated onion, egg, flour and salt) after reading the Cook's Illustrated recipe. It does add a nice little bit of freshness to the pancakes.

I started adding Italian parsley and green onions to my basic recipe (grated russets or yukon golds, grated onion, egg, flour and salt) after reading the Cook's Illustrated recipe. It does add a nice little bit of freshness to the pancakes.

I think I'll add some sliced scallions next time. That sounds good.

Ours last night didn't turn out as pretty as Wendy's and Yetty's, but they were delicious. This thread helped them turn out the best they ever have for me. Russ usually makes ours, but last night I (mostly) did.

We grated two large red potatoes. Then we let them sit in water so we would have the potato starch to add instead of flour. I think that made a difference. They were not gummy at all, like a couple of other times before. Here's the starch we had after draining off the water.

gallery_13038_1949_67601.jpg

We added it to the drained grated potato, and also added an egg, S&P, some finely chopped shallot, and just a little sprinkling of matzo meal. I don't like grated shallot or onion in them... For some reason, the onion juice when done that way gives it a taste I don't like. I fried them in goose fat, in the cast iron skillet. As mentioned above, on them we had smoked salmon, sour cream, and Flying Fish Eggs. It was one of the courses in our seafood feast last night.

gallery_13038_1949_7513.jpg

Susan, absolutely spectacular! :wub: I can just imagine the complexity of flavors and textures: the crisp potatoes fried in goose fat, the luxurious, silky salmon, the cool, smoothness of the sour cream, the snap-crackle-pop of the flying fish roe, oh my!

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Thanks, Yetty!

Yes... Each part tasted so good and the textures were different, one from another. The fish eggs were surprisingly nice. We were going to get salmon caviar, but the Flying Fish roe was a good buy at the seafood shop. We were really glad we got it.

Latkes must be potatoes. Made with other veg they are fritters.

Fritters are "main ingredient" in a batter and deep fried, IMO. Latke = pancake. Hence, the spinach latkes, matzo meal latkes, and zucchini latkes my mom used to make.

Why aren't your recipes in RecipeGullet?!

Ahem, I posted my Make Ahead Potato Latkes recipe almost three years ago. :raz:

Jason begged and pleaded and I made some latkes (with home made apple sauce) this evening. He'll post some pics soon. I adjusted my usual from-my-head recipe to more modest amounts than the above linked recipe calls for. They came out really well, and the batter did not seep copious amounts of liquid as it usually does.

I've just added the recipes to RecipeGullet:

1. Potato Latkes, Shredded & Ground
  2. Apple Sauce

If you'd like to see pics of all the steps in the latke recipe, click here for Jason's album.

Following Rachel's Latke Recipe on RecipeGullet:

gallery_2_2141_52860.jpg

Stage 1: Melt Schmaltz. Allow to simmer while preparing the rest of the recipe, any water like liquid needs to evaporate. Just before frying, add an equal amount of vegetable (pref. corn or peanut) oil. Turn burner down to low.

gallery_2_2141_26768.jpg

Stage 2: Shred Potatoes with yellow onion in Food Processor, put in colander over bowl to drain.

gallery_2_2141_63219.jpg

Stage 3: Scoop approximately 1/4 of the shredded potatoes back into the food processor. Add matzoh meal, one egg, and caramelized onions -- We're using onion confit in this photo. Pulse to grind, not too fine or pureed.

gallery_2_2141_41708.jpg

gallery_2_2141_46478.jpg

Stage 4: Separate water from potato starch in the drainage bowl by pouring off the water into the sink.

gallery_2_2141_35116.jpg

gallery_2_2141_8164.jpg

Stage 5: In the potato starch bowl, combine shredded potatoes and Potato/Egg/Matzoh/Onion Confit mixture and mix thoroughly, hands are good tools.

gallery_2_2141_34997.jpg

Stage 6: Make mixture into balls and place on plate. (This is not all of them)

gallery_2_2141_65815.jpg

gallery_2_2141_99241.jpg

Stage 7: Turn up heat to medium-high, smush balls flat into pan. Fry until golden brown.

gallery_2_2141_67797.jpg

Stage 8: Resist urge to consume all latkes in drying stage.

gallery_2_2141_6281.jpg

Stage 9: Consume as part of your favorite meal, with fresh applesauce and sour cream.

Edited by Rachel Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host