• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How long can I keep it?

Ling

I would like to buy 2 kg of Valrhona Guanaja wholesale, but I still have a few kilos of various chocolates (some of it Valrhona) that I need to use up first.

How long can I keep bittersweet chocolate on hand? I think I've read that it doesn't go bad for a long time...but thought I'd check with you all first.

I've stored chocolate for at least a year with no problem.

I agree. Keep the chocolate well wrapped and in plastic, and in the proverbial "cool dark place." If it gets too warm you can get a white bloom on the surface, but that doesn't matter if you end up melting the chocolate (the bloom is crystallization due to detempering). The hard part of keeping high quality chocolate is to keep from eating it!

He who distinguishes the true savor of his food can never be a glutton; he who does not cannot be otherwise. --- Henry David Thoreau

According to Guiness, the oldest piece of chocolate is 107 years, 8 months and (as of today) 17 days old (and it's still good). You have a long way to go.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

I've kept chocolate for five years, well-wrapped and away from heat and humidity. If store it in the refrigerator, though, the humidity there can cause it to bloom.

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow