• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchenaid Stand Mixers

worm@work

Awesome video, Donk79. I've never seen such a thorough teardown of kitchen stuff. 

And those aren't malapropisms; he's speaking his own language. I'd like to become conversational in it. It's like a Canadian engineering Cockney rhyming slang. Poetry.

The engineering on these things is really in a class above anything else KA has made. I say this as Pro 600 owner who thinks that's a great mixer (I've had one problem with it, and rebuilt it as good as new for very little money). 

The blogger's one complaint is the quality of the circuit board. He thinks it's a failure point. My complaint is (as far as I can tell) they don't sell parts for the motor or transmission, so in the unlikely event that you break a gear or wear out a motor bushing, you have to replace the whole motor/transmission assembly. The good news here is that it's surprisingly cheap—$70 or $80 last I looked. That's about the same as a replacement motor for the lighter-duty mixers.

Edited by paulraphael (log)

Notes from the underbelly

• 9 months later...

I would also recommend a KitchenAid but the KSM150PSER Artisan with the tilt-head stand, not the one with the fixed head stand, I found this feature very useful. It is rather big and heavy but very reliable and powerful, 5 Qt., use it a lot to make bread, lots of attachments, over 7,000 excellent customer reviews, I think the price is right :/  and I prefer the stainless steel bowl instead of a plastic container  9_9

• 3 months later...

I thought we had a thread on just "Stand Mixers" but can only find ones from ten years ago so am posting here.

If anyone is interested, I am going to sell my AEG mixer (aka Ankarsrum, Electrolux DLX-2000 Magic Mill Assistant  - 450 Watt,  Metallic Grey

8-Quart  well cared for.  

I have not used it at all for the past four or five years, since I stopped baking large batches of bread.  I kept thinking I would get back into it when my health improved but apparently that is not going to happen. 

I have always taken very good care of my appliances and this is no different.

I have to package it and weigh it to figure out how much the shipping will be since it is heavy and large.  If anyone is in the greater Los Angeles area, I will be willing to drive as far as the San Fernando Valley - maybe the Northridge mall or Burbank - I am limited in how long I can sit.  Valencia or Santa Clarita would be even better.  

If anyone thinks they might be interested, send me a personal message.  

Screen Shot 2017-12-03 at 8.55.50 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-03 at 8.56.06 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-03 at 8.58.10 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-03 at 8.58.21 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-03 at 8.58.33 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-03 at 9.00.19 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-03 at 9.00.50 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-03 at 9.01.01 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-03 at 9.01.16 AM.png

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Just a post to say I haven't seen his actual mixer, nor do I know the price he is asking, but I have the Magic Mill Assistent,  which is the 450 watt version, and it is an unstoppable bread kneading machine, that will handle anything from low quantities to large doughs with no problems. 

As noted below,  I should have said her and she. 

Edited by Barrytm (log)
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Barrytm said:

Just a post to say I haven't seen his actual mixer, nor do I know the price he is asking, but I have the Magic Mill Assistent,  which is the 450 watt version, and it is an unstoppable bread kneading machine, that will handle anything from low quantities to large doughs with no problems. 

Er, andiesenji is a she, as far as I know.  ;-}

I recommend checking out her blog. Here's her first post, from 7+ years ago.

And here's a blog post by gfron1 about the mixer, from 8+ years ago, which mentions andiesenji.

Edited by Alex (log)
  • Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Er, andiesenji is a she, as far as I know.  ;-}

I recommend checking out her blog. Here's her first post, from 7+ years ago.

And here's a blog post by gfron1 about the mixer, from 8+ years ago, which mentions andiesenji.

Thank you, Alex.

I also bought a new roller and scraper for it in 2012 and I think I used them once.  The old ones were okay but had become stained from some of the fruits I used in some of the dark breads.  I used prunes and other fruits in Ezekiel bread and left it to rise in the bowl with the roller and scraper in place and the lower third of both became stained.  The only time that happened but they looked dirty and I didn't want to use them.  

I know that gfron used his mixer much more than I did and on a daily basis. 

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

FWIW, I also have had the same AEG mixer for ~20 years now and love it.  It was used at least weekly for many years yet it shows no signs of wear.  I don't use as often now, but it is still going strong - I just made some pizza dough with it on Friday.  Also, last year I was in the right place at the right time and could have purchased one new in the box at a deep discount.  I passed because I decided it is extremely unlikely that I will ever need to replace the one I have (I was tempted to buy it and resell it, but I didn't).

Edited by rustwood (log)
  • Like 1

The mixer sold.

• Like 3