• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mmmmmmm: a feastiary

Ruth, thank you so much for joining us. Although I gravitate to any book food-related, your memoirs are among the ones most gracefully written.

After plowing through Garlic and Sapphires (twice!) I was recently prompted to re-read Tender at the Bone and Comfort Me with Apples. I didn't notice the first time around the little notation that you had written someone calledMmmmmmm: a feastiary. Googling was of limited help, so I was wondering if you could tell me more about it? Was it a recipe book?

Ruth, thank you so much for joining us. Although I gravitate to any book food-related, your memoirs are among the ones most gracefully written.

After plowing through Garlic and Sapphires (twice!) I was recently prompted to re-read Tender at the Bone and Comfort Me with Apples. I didn't notice the first time around the little notation that you had written someone calledMmmmmmm: a feastiary. Googling was of limited help, so I was wondering if you could tell me more about it? Was it a recipe book?

It's a cookbook I wrote when I was 21 and living in a loft on the Bowery with Doug. Published by Holt, Rinehart and WInston, with art by my friends on every page. It's been out of print for a million years, and is actually now quite valuable, if you can find a copy. To be honest, I still use a lot of the recipes....