• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Raising Foodie children

Lidia: I had the distinct pleasure of attending a wine class taught by your son, Joe, at Central Market in Austin, Texas. My question is, how do you , as a mom, suggest that parents go about raising children to be discriminating, appreciative food lovers? ( By the way: Joe did a great job! You can be proud of him!)

I think that one of the greatest assets that you can arm you children with is an essential awareness to food. Food gives sensual, gustatory and emotional enjoyment. It is a form of nourishment, social communication and allows you to connect with others. IT's a form of education in topography, geography and culture.

I, for example, begin with my grandchildren when they are one month old by cracking herbs under the noses. This way I'm beginning to fulfill their sensual memory with the wonderful smells of food.

I have four grandchildren--three by Joe and one by Tanya. They are from 7 months to 4 years of age.