• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Orleans-Your take?

Thanks so much for joining us this week.

I know that over the years that you have spent a fair amount of time here and that Gourmet has covered the place inside and out during its history. Currently, you also have a fair number of New Orleans and NO related folks working for the magazine as writers. Given all of these connections, I would assume that you have some opinions on what the future may or may not hold for New Orleans and I would be very interested in hearing them (in reality, as New Orleanians, we're ok with people talking about us anytime, but especially now. We love us. We're not like those other people).

Does Gourmet have anything planned in the near future concerning the state of dining or any features concerning places that have either reopened or, for that matter have not reopened?

Do you have any favorite restaurants or chefs here or do you just go to where you are lead after signing a few books? Favorite Dishes?

Also, do you actually enjoy book signings or are they just something to endure?

Thanks

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I know that over the years that you have spent a fair amount of time here and that Gourmet has covered the place inside and out during its history. Currently, you also have a fair number of New Orleans and NO related folks working for the magazine as writers. Given all of these connections, I would assume that you have some opinions on what the future may or may not hold for New Orleans and I would be very interested in hearing them (in reality, as New Orleanians, we're ok with people talking about us anytime, but especially now. We love us. We're not like those other people).

Does Gourmet have anything planned in the near future concerning the state of dining or any features concerning places that have either reopened or, for that matter have not reopened?

Do you have any favorite restaurants or chefs here or do you just go to where you are lead after signing a few books? Favorite Dishes?

Thanks

Gourmet have anything planned? Yes, definitely. It'll be good.

I LOVE New Orleans, but then what food person doesn't? Went there for the first time in 1980 and it was like getting hit over the head. I think my first meal was Uglesich's, followed by Dooky Chase, Acme, K-Paul and Galatoire's. Pascale's. After that I couldn't keep away. And I love the way the restaurants evolved; there came a time when you could actually get something green to eat there, and it seemed like a miracle!

I'm sure that New Orleans will come back, stronger than ever. You guys are survivors - and somebody has to teach the rest of the country how to party.

Book signings; I actually like them. I groan before I get there, but then I end up having a great time.

Thanks

I LOVE New Orleans, but then what food person doesn't? WEnt there for the first time in 1980 and it was like getting hit over the head. I think my first meal was Uglesich's, followed by Dooky Chase, Acme, K-Paul and Galatoire's. Pascale's. After that I couldn't keep away. And I love the way the restaurants evolved; there came a time when you could actually get something green to eat there, and it seemed like a miracle!

I'm sure that New Orleans will come back, stronger than ever. You guys are survivors - and somebody has to teach the rest of the country how to party.

Book signings; I actually like them. I groan before I get there, but then I end up having a great time.

I think it's genetic, rather than something that can be taught. Much like New Yorkers (who are always very happy here, it seems), we are used to a 24 hour lifestyle that has been ripped away from us. It's all very disconcerting. I am organizing a meal tomorrow night that consists of primarily restaurant folks(chefs and writers) from the East Coast and some writing types from here and the term "herding cats" has come to mind more than once. Convincing out-of-towners who have been here a million times and truly love this place that "Yes! We do have to eat at 7:30-they will close on us if we don't" is much harder than it sounds. It's not what people want to hear when they come here, even if they know that the place is a confusing mess. It's a new world, and we're all pretty brave, but what kind of place is it that you can't get a cocktail and a decent meal at 4 in the morning? Sheesh.

I have had some good meals lately though. One effect of the storm seems to be that chefs realize that, with a market this small-and the same small pool of diners night after night in a kind of rotation, that they need to bring the "A Game" to every plate. In fact, Bourbon House where you did a thing this spring, has been an incredibly inconsistent place over it's history, but because D. Brennan has the better part of his staff from 3 different restaurants in the kitchen, the food has been pretty outstanding. Another effect of the labor shortage is guys who would normally be commanding from the pass window are back in the trenches in their own restaurants, and things get pretty good pretty fast when the boss is on your side of the line working.

I'm glad to hear that you have some things coming out (though I kind of knew it beforehand). I am looking forward to reading it.

Come see us. We'll leave the light on for you-if they are working. Otherwise, candlelight is a very romantic way to dine. In either case, it's still New Orleans and there is no shortage of good things to eat and drink.

Thanks

I LOVE New Orleans, but then what food person doesn't? WEnt there for the first time in 1980 and it was like getting hit over the head. I think my first meal was Uglesich's, followed by Dooky Chase, Acme, K-Paul and Galatoire's. Pascale's. After that I couldn't keep away. And I love the way the restaurants evolved; there came a time when you could actually get something green to eat there, and it seemed like a miracle!

I think it's genetic, rather than something that can be taught. Much like New Yorkers (who are always very happy here, it seems), we are used to a 24 hour lifestyle that has been ripped away from us. It's all very disconcerting. I am organizing a meal tomorrow night that consists of primarily restaurant folks(chefs and writers) from the East Coast and some writing types from here and the term "herding cats" has come to mind more than once. Convincing out-of-towners who have been here a million times and truly love this place that "Yes! We do have to eat at 7:30-they will close on us if we don't" is much harder than it sounds. It's not what people want to hear when they come here, even if they know that the place is a confusing mess. It's a new world, and we're all pretty brave, but what kind of place is it that you can't get a cocktail and a decent meal at 4 in the morning? Sheesh.

I have had some good meals lately though. One effect of the storm seems to be that chefs realize that, with a market this small-and the same small pool of diners night after night in a kind of rotation, that they need to bring the "A Game" to every plate. In fact, Bourbon House where you did a thing this spring, has been an incredibly inconsistent place over it's history, but because D. Brennan has the better part of his staff from 3 different restaurants in the kitchen, the food has been pretty outstanding. Another effect of the labor shortage is guys who would normally be commanding from the pass window are back in the trenches in their own restaurants, and things get pretty good pretty fast when the boss is on your side of the line working.

I'm glad to hear that you have some things coming out (though I kind of knew it beforehand). I am looking forward to reading it.

Come see us. We'll leave the light on for you-if they are working. Otherwise, candlelight is a very romantic way to dine. In either case, it's still New Orleans and there is no shortage of good things to eat and drink.

Well, I will be there in February for the Viking event. But I expect you knew that too....

Thanks

Well, I will be there in February for the Viking event. But I expect you knew that too....

But of course. It's always been a small world here, but it has gotten dramatically smaller in the last three months.

We don't have anything else to do but carp about the situation and eat and drink. Actually, if you can ignore the actual situation, it's been an incredible time for conversation, writing, eating and drinking. There is a pretty amazing level of acceptance here. We've always had it to some degree or another, that's been part of the problem I suppose, but now it's more of a "damn, I'm glad that I'm still here to see what happens next" kind of thing. Much like our city a few months ago, we can all see that, because we have some amazing building blocks left to work with, that the glass is half full-though some of our neighborhoods are, at least temporarily, half empty.

Once again, thanks for the time. See you in NOLA