• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Chardgirl - 21st Century Peasant

chardgirl

Hello, from a fellow homeschooler -- we're in our 13th year.  You spoke of cooking with your kids.  Do you plan particular times to do this, complete with a plan for what you want to teach, or does it just happen serendipitously?  My personal experience:  during the school year, I do most dinner cooking and the kids fix their own breakfasts and lunches for the most part.  In the summer, I have a little more time flexibility and often work with one child at a time teaching particular cooking skills.

We try to cook with the kids everyday. We try (with about a 50% success rate) to get one or both of them to make or cook something for the dinner table everyday. My son's current favorite is tofu sprinkled with the bonito/sesame/nori flakes: is that gomaiso? goma? I forgot the name.

We also have 1-2 times a week cooking projects: this week between the birria party and this blog (ironic!) I've not cooked with them at all. My daughter is going to a girlscout cookie decorating party tonight: does that count? :unsure: She's supposed to bring 'a can of frosting', I"m considering being a rebel and sending homemade in an old plasitc something that I don't need back... any good recipes?

We are going to make cornbread tonight: I've promised, and we're of course going into the dangerous waters known as Cookie Season. sigh.

I'm certain that my kids are cooking more and eating better than when they were in regular school, so over all I think we're on the right track.

Brunch from today:

here's the cheese board that Mr. Chardgirl served children last night when I escaped to the movies:

gallery_28660_3_185839.jpg the bluish white square one on the left is Andante's Nocturne (cow); the white semi circle is Andante's Melange (cow and goat); the big herbed one is Andante's Pastoral (goat) and the aged is a dry-aged goat cheese from Yerba Santa Goat Dairy. Son Aged 8 loved the Melange.

and the rest of brunch:

gallery_28660_3_73838.jpg the pastry looking thing is a vegan-baklava that a frequent market customer brings to us on Saturdays.... the beverage is a breakfast tea with half and half.

My clock says 11:57am: thanks all for your interest, it was a very fun project. Sorry I didn't do a better job documenting the goat feast... I'll do better next time. More photos and more recipes!

This blog didn't go exactly where I thought, but maybe they never do.

Happiest December to all.

chardgirl

our real names: Julia, Andy (Mr. Chardgirl), Graydon (Son Aged 10) and Magdalena (Daughter Aged 8)