• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Abra's recipe won the cookie cook-off!

Kim Shook

I have been searching for years for the perfect Chocolate Chip Cooky. Big, fat cookies with a chewy (not cakey) interior and a sugary crunch on the outside. These are great! I requested help from the folks at here egullet.org and at cyber-kitchen.com and got lots of suggestions. I tried 3 different recipes. After an exhausting and thorough baking marathon and taste test :raz: , making a couple of adjustments to the recipes, this recipe was the winner. We tasted all the cookies cooled down and then again the next morning. (By the way, Mr. Kim thinks I am insane). The only things that I did differently were to use bread flour (Alton Brown suggests that for chewy cookies) and to omit the nuts (not a big fan of nuts in cookies or fudge). I used a 3 T. cooky scoop and so my cookies took almost 20 minutes to bake. These are beautiful cookies – high and crackly, they look like bakery cookies, but taste SO much better. The chips are key. I used Ghirardelli, but am going to try chunking up some better chocolate some other time. I am a big milk chocolate fan, but have realized that with such a sweet cooky, semisweet is better. Thank you so much, Abra :wub: - and you don't even LIKE them!!!

Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 c. softened butter

½ c. granulated sugar

1 ½ c. packed brown sugar

2 eggs

2 ½ t. vanilla extract

3 c. AP flour

½ t. salt

1 t. baking powder

1 t. baking soda

9 oz. semisweet chocolate chips

9 oz. chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix as usual and bake for about 11 minutes.

Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

That recipe is very similar to a Mrs. Fields knock off recipe I found on the web. I think the one I found used 21/2c. flour & a bit more salt. I was actually going to make those today.

So I made these & ended up using the 3c. flour recipe.Turned out great. 2 1/2 c. was not enough..too flat. I may make some more but with some chopped butter toffee peanuts thrown in.

I used a 2tbsp scoop..nice average size cookie..high & chewy. 350 degree oven for 12-14 min.

Edited by sugarbuzz (log)

I gave these a try yesterday and they are very good. I took a bunch to work and they devoured them. I liked that they were chewy without me wondering if they were cooked through, like fudgy ones do. However, they were almost a bit too chewy for me. I think there might be a fine line between chewy and tough. Which leavener should I reduce to get them just slightly less chewy(or tough)?

Edited by CanadianBakin' (log)

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden