• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pantry moths

IrishCream

correct !

I seem to find 2 - 3 moths on the kitchen cabinets. I guessing these are females

will vacuum out the flour area and chocolate area when it cools down.

I did try some 'eco-spray' in the enclosed spaces: peppermint and rosemary oil. brings tears to ones eyes.

Rosemary Bread? peppermint chocolate?

hard to say what the few were doing upstairs.

Get some tea tree oil at the health food store and put a touch on some cotton balls. Put the cotton balls in the cupboards and drawers where these moths are showing up and wait to see their corpses. FYI, tea tree oil smells like medicine and isn't healthy for your pets, although it will kill off their fleas if you dilute it in their bath water. Just don't let them lap it up, which is doubtful since it tastes terrible.

If you have winged insects in the house, check to make sure you don't have termites. We just went through that and it was expensive.

• 4 weeks later...

as this topic was merged, I though Id give you an update:

after 2 weeks I noticed a little activity that must have been matting. so I changed the trap, thinking that it was really hot for a few weeks here and Id see if that mattered: got 4 'boys' right away.

did the same thing 3 weeks later and not get 0 - 2 /day in the kitchen only. recently its more on the 0 side.

so the traps have helped me a lot. at $2 a trap Ill take that help any day.

• 1 month later...

Last update: no new moths on the cabinets or in the kitchen for > 10 days.

I have a supply of these traps and will change them out ( one in the kitchen front area one in the kitchen back area ) once a month just in case.

:biggrin:

• 4 months later...

Thery're Back !

The Buggers God's little creatures are Back !

a few in my living room the other night. its really an open plan area.

so I pulled out a few traps I have on reserve and put one in the kitchen and around the corner in the LR.

so far 4 in the LR and 0 in the Kitchen none for about a week.

I have a wood stove in the LR and bring in a lot of wood.

they seems to have arrived w the wood recently. i burn a lot of wood.

didnt know they could survive outside as its been very cold for a long while.

so ... check your flour but also check your firewood.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

I bought the very best coriander I've ever come across in Southern India. I bought a lot and the spice merchant put it in a plastic bag. When I got home I transferred it to glass canning jars with screw-on lids. Within a few days I was horrified to see bugs crawling all around the coriander seeds. I just couldn't bear to throw it out -- the quality of the coriander was amazing -- so I put the jars in the garage to think about later. It was the middle of winter and very cold in the garage. Within a week all the bugs were gone (dead, I must presume). I transferred the jars to the refrigerator where I still keep them. I haven't seen a bug in them since.

So cold certainly does kill some bugs.

• Like 1

bet what was left was exceptionally tasty

I cant really say that the new buggers god's creatures came in with the wood. but that's the only new thing in that room and they

did not manage to get to the kitchen w the flour, grains etc. so far holding steady at 6 horny trapped boys.

hoping to keep the Girls very very lonely, if they are around.

those traps in bulk are fantastic.

wondering if in the future stuff as you mentioned, if completely dry should have a vacation in a vary cold

freezer for a bit before you use ?

how ever, 0 degrees F is pretty cold.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

It's funny you mention that. I did look for the little corpses in the coriander jars but I've never been able to see any. What could have happened to them do you think?

I think a "vacation in a very cold" place is a good idea for new arrivals. Or, at least store in a glass jar with screw top and see what develops....

• Like 1

"" bugs crawling all around ""

I don't think pantry moths crawl around. they must have some sort of 'worm' like stage, then fly around.

I had 'worm-y' things ( a few ) oddly on the ceiling in my Kitchen during my 'Trials' back when. though of

taking a snap and asking about it, but decided no one need to know about the Worm-ies but me. :blink:

when the P.M's ran out of steam the worm-ies did too. odd they had the energy to get to the ceiling.

so maybe you had something different.

very glad you saved the coriander.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

They might have been something different, being as they originated in south India. The weird thing is that they were not visible when I purchased the coriander, even though it was very hot and humid. They appeared (hatched?) in the dry warmth of my house. And then died in the cold garage. Go figure.

We did have normal American pantry moths one time. I threw out all stored food and wiped everything down with bleach. I stored all new food in glass jars. No more moths. I think I am extremely lucky!!

You can trap them, freeze them, can them, but when you see them flying, they are romancing in pairs and ready to lay eggs in many area for the next generation.

You got to kill them while they are flying around.

Those electronic insect zappers that looks like tennis rackets (Cheap, sometimes $3.00) really works. I keep one in each room.

Bang! they are instantly vaporized in mid air.

dcarch

(not my video)

Edited by dcarch (log)

• 1 year later...

Post moved from forums.egullet.org/topic/150905-embarrassing-stuff-in-the-pantry/?p=2012594

..., and I'm as happy as a pantry moth in an open sack of all-purpose flour.

Arey, you gave me one of the few genuine laughs I get nowadays. Thanks a lot!

I've had pantry moths. They're no joke. I ordered some sweet smelling sticky traps on line, and they worked, after nothing else did. The moths were apparently loose in the house. I still have a sealed package of two of the traps, but I have no idea how effective they would be after more than ten years.

You get these pests, grain weevils, pantry moths, and other things from other sources, so I don't see the shame in it. For a while the Jiffy Mix factory based in MI was infested with some sort of fat, more roundish grain bugs, different than the dark brown tiny, slim rice weevils I found in my basmati rice. I no longer use Jiffy mixes, and that's a good thing.

That infestation pushed me to go beyond what they offered. I lived in Memphis in the 80's when I talked on the phone to my sister, who lived in North Carolina, and she complained to me about the Jiffy mixes being infested. From that, I had to conclude it was coming from their factory.

We both now make killer quick breads, and she is a master of yeast breads. I ate myself nearly into a food coma with some of her ham "biscuits" which are yeast based, in the 90's, and this was the appetizer before the meal. Completely spoiled my appetite, but it was worth it, even though I missed a killer meal.

I don't really care if the Jiffy Mix factory got rid of their problem or not. I've never tried them again. Once they forced my young self to buy ingredients and start making my own cornbread (much less sweet) and muffins with real blueberries or strawberries, it was all over. It's easy and very nearly as quick too. Mine are better, and I've never encountered anymore of those flour bugs.

My dad told a story of how the flour on his navy ship's flour got infested. I do not have any idea why they didn't just sift them out. Except maybe space is very limited aboard, so perhaps they just didn't have a sifter? Same reason they couldn't just easily replace the tainted flour stock when you're in the middle of the ocean. Bread was baked and served with the pests cooked in. Extra protein? Yuck. My dad went to the captain. He was always very persnickety about his food. The captain showed him his bread. It was dotted with the carcasses of the same bugs everyone else on board was eating.

Edited by Mjx
Note added (log)
  • Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

• 8 months later...

10 years later!  The Bounce sheets controlled infestations for many years and then this past summer I saw a moth. I freaked out and ran screaming (major bug phobia here).  After I calmed down I went thru my pantry and, sure enough, there was an unopened bag of rice that was infested. I threw out all dry goods in the pantry including pasta.  I was very disappointed til I realized I hadn't replaced the dryer sheets for 3 years. Voila. I'm sorry they don't work for many of you but for me they've been a miracle aid...I jut rip them in half and put a piece on every shelf in my home  I do think that Bounce is better than other brands for this. 

• Like 1

Lobster.

• 7 months later...

Ive had an off and on problem with panty moths.  Traps have controlled the problem , which I change about once a month if I see any flying around 

Ive used these traps :

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0036F7HX4/ref=sxr_rr_xsim2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pd_rd_pt=Q1JOX&pf_rd_p=2286650982&pf_rd_r=94KR7WPXBQPNY1QHCQR1&pd_rd_wg=kDEyM&pf_rd_s=desktop-rhs-carousels&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_w=fy0HF&pf_rd_i=meal+moth+trap&pd_rd_r=tqHVg&ie=UTF8&qid=1471120233&sr=2

and these

https://www.amazon.com/Catchmaster-812sd-Pantry-Moth-Traps/dp/B01E4G308Y/ref=pd_sim_86_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=510XgmxDCoL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&psc=1&refRID=7F3DZGKN0HP68AD8K9TX

I can't tell if there is any difference, and they are not dated as to when the scent is made and sealed.

the price difference is striking

any reason not to go with the top brand ?  as Ive said, Ive used both.  and both catch moths.  I can't nail down the source   

there are some upstairs, and no food up there that I can think of.

I also have two of these ,  from Harbor freight.   they give them away sometimes with any purchase, which is also 20 % off

o.O

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=bug+zapper

thanks

@rotuts,

I would go the cheapest route that worked, but I'm kind of a cheapass. :D

I had one infestation years ago, so I can sympathize. The eggs or larvae come in from things you bring into your home from suppliers. I don't consider it a reflection on my cleanliness and housekeeping, but I certainly had a hard time until I figured out that those lure traps seem to be the only thing that works effectively, having had no previous experience at all with the little buggers anywhere I have lived. I might be battling them still if it weren't for the internet. 

My traps were ordered online from someplace I can't remember after all these years, but I don't remember them being as expensive as either of your examples.

Even after I learned about and got the traps, it took months to completely eliminate them from my home. As you say, once they sprout wings, they will migrate all over your house, probably laying more eggs, every time they get a chance. The cheap traps I bought did work, and I haven't had another problem with them. I hope I never do again.

Good luck getting rid of yours.

> ^ . . ^ <

I struggled with this problem a few years back. I threw out every bit of grain / pasta in the house and anything that came in, I kept in sealed containers. Eventually, I tracked it down to a bag of sunflower seeds kept in the basement to feed the birds. Now that goes into a sealed garbage can as soon as it comes in the house.

HC

• Like 2

I had a much bigger infestation some time ago, and that's when I discovered the traps  and at that time found several sources

none to be found now.   traps keep things in check

Ill get the cheaper group as Ive had them before and seen no different from the more expensive ones

which I just used up.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

I struggled with this problem a few years back. I threw out every bit of grain / pasta in the house and anything that came in, I kept in sealed containers. Eventually, I tracked it down to a bag of sunflower seeds kept in the basement to feed the birds. Now that goes into a sealed garbage can as soon as it comes in the house.

HC

I had that same problem last year and moved the seed from the utility room out to the (detached) garage. Pesky critters!

• Like 1

I thought I eradicated the little bastards last year, but they've popped up again!

I think they came from a bag of infested walnuts from Costco, but spread to a couple other bags of nuts.  Ended up throwing out a couple kilograms of buggy almonds, pecans, walnuts.>:(

One place I didn't expect to see moth larvae was in the plastic bag clippies (these things). They were hiding out in between the ridges - almost gagged when I found them.  Also some under the top edge & lid of the plastic bins.

Gak! Pantry pests must die in the fieriest of fiery depths of hell!!>:(

• Like 3