• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Deep-frying a turkey

So I know it's coming a week after American thanksgiving, but for some reason I got a little homesick this year and decided to put on a turkey for all my mates here in Sydney. In fact, I thought I'd do a deep-fried turkey in the back yard, Cajun style.

Only thing is I'm having a huge amount of trouble sourcing equipment to create the outdoor deep-fryer: the turkey is taken care of (though expensive!), but no one seems to sell the sort of outdoor burner/pot setups that I need, just piddling little camping stoves. In the States they sell kits for like $100, but it's a bit late to get one shipped down.

I know I've done this to myself, but any advice on how to engineer this in Sydney PDQ would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Go to Chinatown, or some other suburb where Asian (read: Chinese/Vietnamese in this instance) congregrate, and find a kitchen supplies store.

Buy an outdoor wok burner that provides 3 rings of flameage, with the outermost ring at least 30cm in diameter, that's 12 inches for you dude, and then go buy a hose that fits, clamps, and then go buy a gas tank, filled of course, then go get your hands on a mega stainless pot from the same store, at least 3ft tall and wide enough to give say 3 inches either side of the turkey, then go get a shit load of oil, take it home, set it up, outside, and seeing as you're in Bondi, watch for the wind, light the baby up, heat the oil and perform your dark magic on the unsuspecting Australian bird.

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

Brilliant, thanks -- I think I'll go check out Haymarket this arvo! Will let you know how it goes.

Go to Chinatown, or some other suburb where Asian (read: Chinese/Vietnamese in this instance) congregrate, and find a kitchen supplies store.

Buy an outdoor wok burner that provides 3 rings of flameage, with the outermost ring at least 30cm in diameter, that's 12 inches for you dude, and then go buy a hose that fits, clamps, and then go buy a gas tank, filled of course, then go get your hands on a mega stainless pot from the same store, at least 3ft tall and wide enough to give say 3 inches either side of the turkey, then go get a shit load of oil, take it home, set it up, outside, and seeing as you're in Bondi, watch for the wind, light the baby up, heat the oil and perform your dark magic on the unsuspecting Australian bird.

I would not do it until a proper equipment package could be shipped in. Then I would take it to a flat spot way away from the house. I am aware of many burned cooks and even houses that have burned to the ground with the proper equipment and a simple mistake. Be careful!!!

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

I would not do it until a proper equipment package could be shipped in.  Then I would take it to a flat spot way away from the house.  I am aware of many burned cooks and even houses that have burned to the ground with the proper equipment and a simple mistake.  Be careful!!!

You might want to check THIS out too. Good advice from an expert.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

dude, you'd probably need a windbreaker and a deep fry thermometer for the oil....

and i see, the turkey experts have arrived in the Aussie forum... welcome one and all!!!

Thanks - yeah, I also found the thread on this in the cooking forum, much great advice. I think with sand around the whole thing, on the level paving stones down the side-alley part of my backyard where no one goes (and where it will be easy to keep people from coming) and a fire extinguisher handy, I think we'll be right.

I think the toughest part will be not drinking for the first coupla hours of the party!

Be safe now.

got to ask a favour, can you post pictures of the exercise here?? will be one of the first recorded Turkey fry-ups on Australian soil I reckon...

PM me and I'll be happy to help out with image posting etc.

...and welcome to eGullet James of Sydney

PCL -- Absolutely, and thanks!

You don't think I could in good conscience pull a stunt like this - especially with all the blegs for information - and not post a full report, do you?

Be safe now.

got to ask a favour, can you post pictures of the exercise here?? will be one of the first recorded Turkey fry-ups on Australian soil I reckon...

PM me and I'll be happy to help out with image posting etc.

...and welcome to eGullet James of Sydney

I'm getting inspired by all of this - whole animals, lots of fire, danger, summer. drinking. Anyone out there with enough land where we could dig a whole, put in a whole heap of fuel, put a pig in it, cover it up, and let it cook away all day?

Oh, and around 100 or so friends to help eat the thing would be useful too.

Daniel Chan aka "Shinboners"

I'm getting inspired by all of this - whole animals, lots of fire, danger, summer. drinking.  Anyone out there with enough land where we could dig a whole, put in a whole heap of fuel, put a pig in it, cover it up, and let it cook away all day?

yes, it looks like we have a few American foodies among us may be they can show us how to do a good o' fashion clambake.

I'm getting inspired by all of this - whole animals, lots of fire, danger, summer. drinking.  Anyone out there with enough land where we could dig a whole, put in a whole heap of fuel, put a pig in it, cover it up, and let it cook away all day?

Use one of these. http://www.lacajachina.com/

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

35 of us will do that size pig. :raz:

Bruce Frigard

OK, well thanks to everyone's advice I'm a bit poorer but a lot better equipped...went out Parramatta Road way, and got myself a big ol' aluminum stock pot at McCarthy's Hospitality (great shop!) and then at this little hole-in-the-wall in a mini-shopping arcade off George in Chinatown, I got this big cast-iron burner thing - it looks very much like the real deal, but the LPG hose I have is rusted on to my BBQ so I"m going to have to get a new one tomrrow before I can test it out.

Thanks for all your advice - pics to come after the big event!

Is aluminium safe?? I mean, for deep frying?? I mean, it loses structural integrity at around 650celcius...

Yes, I don't think there'll be a problem...for one thing, it's quite thick-sided, and for another, the key is to get the oil up to no higher than around 375F, or not quite 200C.

Is aluminium safe?? I mean, for deep frying?? I mean, it loses structural integrity at around 650celcius...

Put in turkey and add water till you see how much you need. Mark pot, remove turkey and dry throughly. Dry pot and add oil. You want at least 3 inches of space to top of pot, with turkey in. Be Careful this can get really ugly real fast. Welders Gloves are advised as are goggles.

Bruce Frigard

Thanks, WineSonoma...yes, I had planned to use Archimedes' insights to avoid overspill...I've got a 12-pound bird which I just brought home from David Jones, and before even doing the water test I just popped it in the pot to see what the spatial relations were like, and clearance shouldn't be a problem...the pot's about 13 inches deep and reasonably wide, and the bird sits comfortably down in it. But I'll definitely do this this evening!

Put in turkey and add water till you see how much you need. Mark pot, remove turkey and dry throughly. Dry pot and add oil. You want at least 3 inches of space to top of pot, with turkey in. Be Careful this can get really ugly real fast. Welders Gloves are advised as are goggles.

Well, we did it. I'll post a full report later with pics under a new thread today or tomorrow, but what I believe to be the first deep-frying of a turkey on the Australian continent yesterday was a giant success! Best turkey I've ever had - and everyone concurred. Not greasy yet mega-juicy, full of flavor and fall-apart tender. Turned out to be a tremendous party as well, first guests arrived at 2pm and last left at 2am!

Much cleaning of backyard, kitchen, frontal lobes in store today.