• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

POTATO EMERGENCY!

jeniac42

So in my misguided attempt to create a surrogate Thanksgiving dinner on a Monday night, when I get home from work at 11pm and have to be back in school tomorrow at 9am, I have run into a snag.

I lent both my potato masher AND my KitchenAid (and all attachments therefor) to my friend last week, and forgot about it until now, when the potatoes are mere minutes away from being mashed.

It may be too late to save me, but how else could they be mashed? With a fork? Seems impractical and devastating for my tendonitis, but maybe it could be done.

Help! :shock::shock::shock:

Jennie

I've used a humble pastry blender before... but a fork has worked too.

So in my misguided attempt to create a surrogate Thanksgiving dinner on a Monday night, when I get home from work at 11pm and have to be back in school tomorrow at 9am, I have run into a snag.

I lent both my potato masher AND my KitchenAid (and all attachments therefor) to my friend last week, and forgot about it until now, when the potatoes are mere minutes away from being mashed.

It may be too late to save me, but how else could they be mashed?  With a fork?  Seems impractical and devastating for my tendonitis, but maybe it could be done.

Help!  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

The trick, if you use a whisk for this purpose, is to mash rather than stir. You only want to use an up-and-down motion; not a round-and-round motion.

I've found, however, that a fork is not only suitable for mashing potatoes but actually superior to a masher. At least it is for the texture I prefer: more crushed than pureed or mashed. Fork-crushed potatoes are now a common fixture in fine dining restaurants all over the place. The fork works best on small portions, though. If you're cooking for more than four or five people, forget it.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I also prefer the crushed potato texture, which is why I've always used a masher (the kind with the bent metal rod rather than the kind with a metal disc with holes in it) instead of a mixer. I'll have to try the fork next time.

I tried to advise on proper whisk usage but was, alas, unheeded. Probably because by 2:30am most people are pretty hungry... oops.

Jennie

I don't like overcooked mashers. I like my potatoes to be as dry as possible so I can cram more cream and butter into them. :rolleyes: I usually dry them out by putting them back in the pan on the heat after draining for a few minutes and stirring them gently. This also starts them on the process of breaking down a little.

I like my mashers smooth, so I use a ricer or a food mill. I don't even own the wavy-line or grid-type manual masher devices.

Two forks works well. One holds the potato down while the other smashes it.

This is a little trick I learned years ago in a restaurant where we had to make the caesar dressing tableside. We used two forks to crush the garlic and smear it along the bottom of the wooden bowl. I often do this when I'm going to saute garlic in oil, as it really releases the flavor into the oil.

:) Pam

I like to toss the cooked potatoes into an antique oak vat, pull latex covers over my socks and dance the Barynya while my assistant ladles in cream and butter. Alternately, I stuff the potatoes into a ziplock bag, seal, wrap in five layers of plastic grocery bags, hang from a door frame and use it as a punching bag.

But a wooden spoon works nicely, too.

put your fist inside a chunky coffee mug + bash away.  Worked perfectly all through my university days!

I'd need a rather large coffee mug to do that! But, my mortar would do rather well in that regard.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.