• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Why Miami Isn't a Great Food City

joiei

Miami has seen a lot of famous chefs from other parts of the United States restaurants not make it, but I agree with Robyn,  I don't think Ripert was even working for them when it closed, or am I mistaken.  The restaurant business in the South of Florida can be brutal.

I think Ripert had started in New York before the Miami venture closed. But he hadn't been there a long time. But he didn't have anything to do with what happened in Miami. It was clear that after Gilbert died - Maguy (who basically handled the Miami operation) had to go back to New York to get the situation in hand.

I'm not sure why everyone thinks Miami is any worse than a city like New York. Wasn't it New York which basically sent Thomas Keller to California? Robyn