• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best of the REAL Burbs

Vancitygirl

Recently we have seen a wave of reviews from up and coming writters in the Thursday edition of the Province. These are places that are more than just 1 bus zone ride away from our great Vancouver. Can anyone dish on others. Chilliwack's Bravo would be an example.

Gastronomista

I am sure that there are plenty dining spots in the suburbs worth checking out.

Scores of our diners have "threatened" us with asking writers from the Province, Sun, Vancouver Magazine, Georgia Straight and so on, to visit and write about the Rim.

Since we’re “new kids on the block” without any previous credentials it is imperative that we get an “outside review”. Not having food writers visiting this hard to find spot is OK, but it is still reviewed daily by our clientele who keep coming back (bringing friends over and recommending the Rim to others).

So far AAA has paid us a visit giving 3 diamonds rating, which we are proud of.

To have someone from Vancouver paper visit and give us his/her opinion would be a treat.

Meanwhile we are grilling our Ahi, Boar and Elk and keep the VQA’s flowing!

Cheers,

Chef Suave

Pacific Rim Grille

www.pacificrimgrille.com

thanks for the thread....

Despite the fact that we really aren't that far away (and regularly have people drive out from Van for dinner), the media absence does make it feel sometimes like we're operating in a vacuum...

St. Street Grill (Port Moody) is very close and reportedly a fine spot.

Same with The Seasonal Experience in Langley.

Damian du Plessis

Bravo Restaurant & Lounge

Chilliwack, BC

In addition to Bravo in Chilliwack, I have to give a nod to the Mill Street Cafe as well - very nice place.

And of course there are one or two very good places that could not even remotely be described as fine dining, but are really excellent.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

I will give my nod to Restaurant 62 in Abbotsford...just off Highway 1 EASY ACCESS! The food is delicous and menu is focusing on BC and seasonality ingredients. The wine list is well composed in all price ranges. And there is some nice beers from all around the world once in a while! The owners, Eric and Heidi Ferris, are well versed in the service industry (Earl's, CinCin, Fairmont, The Wickininnish) and are very welcoming to every single person who enters their establishment...Ps...call ahead for reservations on weekends...Delicous food and great service equals a hard seat to get!

Jason Edge

Mill Street Cafe

Chilliwack, B.C.

Here's the threads...

What's best in the

Southern Burbs? Delta, Surrey, Langley, White Rock

Northern Burbs? Bby, New West, Tri-Cities, Ridge-Meadows

Both have also been 'pinned' by Daddy-A in the 'Guide to Vancouver & Western Canada Forum' under Neighbourhood-Specific Dining.

Edited by lemon curd (log)

Support your local farmer

Currently reading:

The Art of Simple Food by Alice Waters

Just finished reading:

The 100-Mile Diet by Alisa Smith & J. B. MacKinnon

A new restaurant has recently opened up in Tsawwassen. It is called Illuminate. The owner is supposedly a former chef from one of Umberto's places. He has spent a lot of money on renovating a spot in a mini mall and has created a slick, upscale looking room with a great bar and semi-open kitchen. We had a very good meal there (excellent New York Steak, gnocchi, salmon appetizer). The menu is Italian influenced and offers a variety of good choices. The night we went the service was spotty, and we've heard stories from neighbours of exceptionally bad service. I think they wanted a soft opening as they didn't advertise at all. Tsawwassen, however, is in such dire need of good dining choices that they have been busy right from the start. I hope the glitches in the service work themselves out, because it looks like it has a lot of potential.