• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Raleigh area restaurant for this Friday

tkrongold

Hi, SouthEast e-Gulleters...

Coming into Raleigh this Friday evening for a corporate holiday party. The company party isn't until Saturday night, so I'd like to visit one of Raleigh's restaurants on Friday. I've just been reading the Magnolia Grill thread, which disappoints me because that's always been on my list of "must visit" places, but it sounds like it might not be worth the effort (yes? no?).

Would love to hear other suggestions for dinner (Enoteca Vin?).

Meeting some friends for lunch on Saturday & they want to go to Mama Dibs, which they've heard has great BBQ. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Terry

NJ e-Gullet

www.cookstour.netMy Blog

Ah, yes, Raleigh ... we have a number of great references (and even not so impressed reviews) of restaurants in the city itself and the Triangle as well:

thread on Enoteca Vin

thread Best Restaurant in the Triangle

thread Review: Bloomsbury Bistro -- Raleigh(NC)

Anything reviewed or even mentioned by our own Varmint (Dean McCord) will be a place well considered and personally tested by him! And he knows the foods in Raleigh quite intimately ... :wink:

Thread on Mama Dip's :hmmm:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Mama Dips is the place people from out of town go for Southern Food, but not barbeque. If you're looking for barbeque you would do much better at Allen and Sons, The Q Shack, Bullocks, or any of the smaller places around the triangle.

Bryan C. Andregg

"Give us an old, black man singing the blues and some beer. I'll provide the BBQ."

We had dnr at Enoteca Vin Friday night. It was wonderful. Outstanding food, service, & wine. We were very well taken care of by Scott, the GM & sommelier.

He started our evening with a glass of NV blanc de blanc and the delicious Ahi tuna tartare appetizer. Couldn't be better (especially after a delayed flight from Newark!).

My main course was the wonderful burgandy braised short ribs (paired with a 2000 Aglianico Re Manfredi). My husband decided to sample several small plates (of course i had to help). We were not disappointed with the assortment: the deviled eggs (which I understand Vin is known for) were ethereal; the chicken liver pate was smooth & delicious, and the white anchovies (which I had never eaten before) were terrific. The highlight of my husband's meal was the frisee & local arugula salad with roasted beets, Laura Chenel chevre, with warm hazlenut brown butter vinaigrette! He had a delicious 1999 Gruner Veltliner with his meal.

To demonstrate the level of service we received, my husband was pacing himself to wait for my short ribs to be served & as such, did not eat the salad right away. When my short ribs were delivered, Scott insisted on replacing it with a fresh salad because the brown butter vinaigrette had been sitting! We tried to protest, but Scott was too quick & distracted us with a special introduction to the Chef (who was extremely gracious).

We were too full for dessert, but Scott "forced" us to try a fabulous Tokjai from Hungary.

I wish there were more restaurants of this caliber in the northern NJ area. Vin will definitely be on our itinerary next time we visit Raleigh.

At the totally other end of the spectrum, we had lunch on Saturday at Mama Dip's in Chapel Hill. Wonderful fried chicken!

www.cookstour.netMy Blog

I am so pleased that you were able to find our advice useful and that the results were so pleasing for you!

Equally appreciative of your updating eGullet on how the meal came out in such detail! Terrific! You must admit that you did come to the right place with your initial question ... :wink:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I am so pleased that you were able to find our advice useful and that the results were so pleasing for you!

Equally appreciative of your updating eGullet on how the meal came out in such detail! Terrific! You must admit that you did come to the right place with your initial question ... :wink:

yes, we were really happy with our dining choices in the Raleigh area. Anytime I travel, my first stop is to the appropriate regional eGullet board for food recommendations!

www.cookstour.netMy Blog