• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tir Na Nog

ditsydine

Yesterday, around noon a friend and I went to Tir Na Nog for brunch. I was sick of going to my regular haunts, and she wanted a bloody mary and heard they had a bloody mary bar.

Well the bloody mary bar was a couple of shriveled lemons on a plate of lettuce, an empty celery salt container, a few random hot sauces, a few other condiments, some green olives, but nary any garlic or celery in sight.

I am the first to aknowledge that buffets are definitely more hit, than miss. Also I am the first one to acknowledge that any time you eat brunch you have to remind yourself the whole kitchen was out drinking the night before. Still, what they had was pretty impossible for even a monkey and a frying pan to mess up.

Cold cottage pie, hell everything was cold. Squares of oviously frozen hashbrowns that were literaly saturated in grease, and this is coming from someone who likes soggy fries. A some burnt looking hushpuppies..the only thing that kept me from starving was decent bacon and sausage. Eggs, well, no comment.

Anyway, it is such a cute little place and a great bar normally, but don't waste your moolah there on Sunday mornings.

-----------------

AMUSE ME

Oops I meant to add that said restaurant is downtown raleigh, nc

It's a chain. There's one here in Philadelphia too.

Great place for a pint of Guiness.

BAD place for food.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Oops I meant to add that said restaurant is downtown raleigh, nc

It's a chain. There's one here in Philadelphia too.

Great place for a pint of Guiness.

BAD place for food.

Actually, Katie, this restaurant is not part of that chain. It's been independently owned and operated in the 6 or 7 years since it opened. They created an initial buzz, but the food went downhill in a hurry. There's only so much demand for "traditional" Irish pub fare.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I went for Brunch there recently based on its high ranking in the City Search reader's poll and would have to concur.  Possibly the worst brunch I have ever eaten.

I was telling a friend about this last night, she was flabbergasted as she used to work there years ago, and said it was wonderful. From what I gather, it is not the original owners.

-----------------

AMUSE ME

Five or Six years ago the Triangle experienced its bloom of "authentic Irish pubs" openning. Today, most of these places still serve food, but I don't know of anyone who actually eats at them. There are a few places in Raleigh that seem to have diners, but James Joyce in Durham has lost most of its food business to its neighbor The Federal.

Bryan C. Andregg

"Give us an old, black man singing the blues and some beer. I'll provide the BBQ."