• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Regarding Oatmeal Cookies...

Dailey

i plan on making some oatmeal raisin cookies but was wondering if i have to used rolled oats as the recipes states. can i used quick-oats? will there be a noticable difference? thanks! :biggrin:

i plan on making some oatmeal raisin cookies but was wondering if i have to used rolled oats as the recipes states.  can i used quick-oats?  will there be a noticable difference?  thanks! :biggrin:

I sub quick for rolled all the time and the cookies still turn out good. The texture will be different, but not necessarily in a bad way. You might have some problem if you tried to sub instant oats. I believe those are different than quick.

Another idea is to toast some of the oats like in a dry skillet & keep stirring until they brown a bit. Just another texture idea. I also like to umm, grind my raisins like with the egg so it smoshes up ok in the blender or food processor--makes a different variation on the traditional cookie. I add cinnamon to mine too.

My favorite oatmeal cookie--which I realize you didn't ask this but I'm off on Monday's, I'm avoiding housework like the plague and I'm sanguine-- umm is to toast coconut and leave off the raisins and cinnamon just add the coconut to the regular oatmeal cookie--muy yummy.

thanks you guys! :biggrin: my mom loves oatmeal cookies, i plan on trying CI version, hopefully it turns out well. kate, i love coconut cookies, never thought of adding them to oatmeal, sounds good to me!

Old-fashioned rolled oats will make the cookie chewier, while the quick oats will have a little softer texture. Instant will just dissolve into the dough.

I like to use old-fashioned oats, dried tart cherries, and a small bit of pure cherry flavoring, along with pecans and coconut. I top off the cookies by sprinkling a few crystals of fleur de sel on top of each one before baking them. The salt really highlights the cherries and nuts, and the contrast is sumptuous. Don't use too much, though...just a few crystals on each cookie.

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

Old-fashioned rolled oats will make the cookie chewier, while the quick oats will have a little softer texture. Instant will just dissolve into the dough.

It's nice to finally have an authoritative answer to this question :laugh:. Most recipes just seem to state what kind of oats you should use without saying why.

BTW. I love your web site and look forward to trying some of your recipes.

My kiddle wanted oatmeal cookies today but I've only got steel cut oats and I hesitated. Doea anyone know if those will work out in a cookie?

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Rebecca and Claire,

Thanks for the kind words, Rebecca! Enjoy your baking.

Claire, if you use steel cut oats the cookies will have a lot more chew, and will be more prominent in the baked cookie. Which you may ormay not like. You can generally figure that the longer the oats have to cook to make oatmeal, the chewier they will be in a cookie. You can always process them a few pulses in a food processor, so they will meld into the dough a little more easily, to reduce the chew a bit.

I'd love to know how you like the steel cut oats in cookies.

Eileen

Eileen Talanian

Eileen

Hey, Claire is the nice one! I'm the one who is dumb enough to try the cookies tomorrow with steel cut oats. :smile:

I'll bake a batch tomorrow night and give a report after. It's worth a batch of cookies to further the cause of eGullet! anyone want to help me choose a recipe? I've got about 50 here at home, hmmm.

Edited by Rebecca263 (log)

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Another thing about oats, some medical people believe that the heartier oats like the steel cut or old fashioned are better for you than the quick ones. The thoughts on it are that the quick ones go through your system so fast they mess you up glycemically and skew your blood chemistry. The foods & oats that make the body work more to digest them are better for you they say. I know it's been true for moi.

I'm just throwing this out there as more information about oats. So if I make oatmeal cookies or granola bars I use the heartier kinds of oats. Shoot I eat savory oatmeal with walnuts almost every morning.

Eileen

Hey, Claire is the nice one! I'm the one who is dumb enough to try the cookies tomorrow with steel cut oats. :smile:

I'll bake a batch tomorrow night and give a report after. It's worth a batch of cookies to further the cause of eGullet! anyone want to help me choose a recipe? I've got about 50 here at home, hmmm.

I don't think that steel cut oats would have enough time to soften and cook in a cookie recipe. Maybe you would have to pre-soak or something?

I've made a batch of steel cut oat cookie dough just now and I'm refrigerating it for a few hours to see. I use a bit of applesauce in the recipe, I'll let you all know how it turns out later.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Hi, Folks!

Well, remember that batch of steel cut oats cookie dough I made the other day Yesterday I baked them. I had replaced a bit of the butter in the recipe with applesauce, and lowered the sugar a bit as well. I refrigerated the dough overnight. They were pretty good. Very chewy, very hearty. I am going to make another batch next Tuesday, and I plan on tweaking the recipe a bit more. Less oats, I think, as in my house we aren't big fans of a heavy cookie. I'm also going to add some chunked chocolate to the dough. Kiddle says that the combination will be good, because the oats are so chewy. Usually she won't eat an oatmeal cookie with chocolate in it. This cookie needs some work to lighten it up for our taste, but I think that the steel cut oats are actually delicious as a cookie! I'll update here next week, and when I've got a recipe perfected I'll put it up for anyone else who may want to try this.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

I'll bake a batch tomorrow night and give a report after. It's worth a  batch of cookies to further the cause of eGullet! anyone want to help me choose a recipe? I've got about 50 here at home, hmmm.

OOOPS! Sorry, Rebecca! I was down to the wire preparing for a class and my brain was obviously scrambled. (That's my excuse today, anyway. Unfortunately, my brain has been in scrambled mode for quite some time.)

Eileen Talanian