• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Great Wall (Asian) Grocery Store

Busboy

Is that for Ton Kha Gai? I've never heard of the paste, but have made the soup before.

The ducks, btw, looked pretty darn good last week.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Yes!

I seem to have developed a bit of a addiction to the soup this winter. I am going to make it from scratch, but understand there is a paste premade with the spices in it. Someone else told me there are kits in some stores in the freezer sections with the spices pre put together. In any event, that is my mission for today!

Yes!

I seem to have developed a bit of a addiction to the soup this winter. I am going to make it from scratch, but understand there is a paste premade with the spices in it. Someone else told me there are kits in some stores in the freezer sections with the spices pre put together. In any event, that is my mission for today!

My experience with pre-packaged pho mix makes me think that doing it from scratch would be worth the effort. Besides, as I recall, it's only got a few ingredients, anyway (running down those lime leaves can be a pain, though). Good luck.

I'm on the pavement

Hello all!

I went to the Great Wall for the third time on Saturday. As expected, the place was a mob scene! I picked up some great veggies at great prices. the funny thing I could not find was cilantro! The fresh spinach was really fresh and the fruits as well. i did pick up some fresh rockfish while I was there. The neat thing is a sign above the fish stand that lets you decide who you want the fish prepared from just gutting and scaling it through to filets. I believe there are 6 choices diagramed for you.

While I was there I did look at the steam table and decided to past on the entrees. I did see that there were 3 prepared whole pigs ready for pick up.

I made it to Great Wall today. I was amused by the frogs,the eels,and the turtles,and the ugly big head fish. But the store? Not at all. Super H may not have the frogs and such, but they have everything elseand it looks much fresher. The produce section at Super H is much bigger, better selection, and fresher. The meats at Super H also are much fresher, and a better selection. Granted they don't have the Black Chicken and the Headed Duck, but I like it much more.

Checking out at Great Wall was a nightmare, the cashier bent my debit card.

The good new is, I bought a Bullfrog. I let my Frenchie play with it for awhile, He barked, the frog croaked.Then I set it free in the pond. Please save your speeches about introducing foreign species in our waters. I just had to. Besides he looked like a normal Bullfrog and there are another 10,000 of them in my backyard.

Edited by raisab (log)

Paris is a mood...a longing you didn't know you had, until it was answered.

-An American in Paris

• 1 year later...

Where is Super H?

Having stayed at a friend's house in Alexandria, I made a big Great Wall run today, grabbing a huge load of two kinds of Chinese broccoli, some fresh noodles, sesame oil, dried mushrooms, chiles, Chinese eggplant and a neat wide-mouth thermos for packing soup. I forget what else I got.

I've been tempted to try the eatery in there (or at least grab a pound of that crackly skinned, dripping, hanging pig!) but I'm always alone and it just isnt' the same grubbing down solo.

So, I backtracked on Arlington Blvd. and popped into D.C. Sandwich for a banh mi (don't know how to make the accent marks on this pc). I'd heard and seen this sandwiches for years, but while I've slurped a lot of pho, this was actually my first one. I went with the combo, and at $2.75 it was one of the best lunches I've had in awhile.

They go lighter on the fillings than American-style subs, but the ingredients seemed more flavorful. With the pickled radish, carrot, cilantro, jalapeno, etc. it was a fresher, lighter experience than sucking down a loaded cold-cut. And the baguette was both crisp outside and soft inside. Loved it.

I wish I didn't live so far from one of these places...

Hopefully Busboy is checking back here from time to time. I want to know in Great Wall where to find (if they have them at all) bonito flakes and kombu for making miso soup. I've actually been seeking these ingredients for awhile as I've been tinkering with Miso Master miso pastes.

Still want to know more about Super H. Or any quality Asian market closer to the Bay Bridge...

I'm afraid I don't know Great Wall that well -- I spent an hour there last time I visited looking for instant congee and failing miserably. Likewise, I've been to the Super H in Wheaton/Silver Spring and the one in Rockville, but I don't know anything out your way. Seems that the Asian communities went north and west of the city, rather than east, for whatever reason.

But give a ring next time you have a day to kill and we'll bomb around the 'burbs and see what we can turn up, all in the name of investigative journalism and fish flakes!

I'm on the pavement

• 2 weeks later...
Where is Super H?

There are 2 H marts (or super h) in this area (I live in Reston!)

H Mart, 8103 Lee Highway, Falls Church, VA (703) 573-6300.

and

Super H Mart, 10780 Lee Highway, Fairfax, VA 22030 (800) 427-9870

I hope this helps you a bit as I miss NJ and the H marts up there...

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

• 7 months later...

Returned to Great Wall (followed by a trip to Eden Center and another banh mi or two) the other day, and found my new favorite ingredient: king oyster mushrooms.

They're huge and, well, phallic, and surprisingly cheap! I sliced them into half-moons about 1/4 to 1/3 inch thick, sauteed in olive oil with a touch of butter until crisp and brown on the outside -- and it's one of the best things I've tasted in awhile. Good, firm texture, very meaty, and tastes sort of like a scallop.

If only they kept longer, I'd buy a cooler full to last me between visits. Also, in the hot foods section, I highly recommend the 75-cent tea eggs. I'm going to learn how to make these. My friend who lived in China for many years says they're a common staple and easy to do.