• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite cookbook or style of cooking

Good Morning Ms Reichl,

I am just a home cook who likes to play around and enjoy food. I was wondering what your favorite cookbook is and what style of cooking do you prefer?

Thank you!

Edited by jogoode (log)

"i saw a wino eating grapes and i was like, dude, you have to wait"- mitch hedburg

Good Morning Ms Reichl,

I am just a home cook who likes to play around and enjoy food. I was wondering what your favorite cookbook is and what style of cooking do you prefer?

Thank you!

I'm pretty much a home cook myself. I don't believe that homes should be like restaurants, and I don't attempt to do much cheffy cooking. Last night I made a Bolognese sauce - which is the sort of standard stuff I do.

And although this sounds self-serving, my favorite cookbook is the the Gourmet Cookbook. I use it on an almost daily basis. The thing is, I know that those recipes work. My other default cookbooks are Marcella, Marion Cunningham's Breakfast Book (I made her yeast-raised waffles for breakfast this morning), and Elizabeth David.

Good Morning Ms Reichl,

Thank you!

I'm pretty much a home cook myself. I don't believe that homes should be like restaurants, and I don't attempt to do much cheffy cooking. Last night I made a Bolognese sauce - which is the sort of standard stuff I do.

And although this sounds self-serving, my favorite cookbook is the the Gourmet Cookbook. I use it on an almost daily basis. The thing is, I know that those recipes work. My other default cookbooks are Marcella, Marion Cunningham's Breakfast Book (I made her yeast-raised waffles for breakfast this morning), and Elizabeth David.

I get the feeling that you're partial to Italian?

Good Morning Ms Reichl,

Thank you!

I get the feeling that you're partial to Italian?

Yes, I love Italian food. But I also love French, American, Indian, Chinese, Japanese....The thing about Italian food, though, is that it's very friendly to the home cook. It's earthy, based on simple ingredients, and generally healthy. Also fast. I come home to cook dinner almost every night, and most nights I don't get home until 7. My guys aren't real patient when they're hungry, so I try to get dinner on the table by 7:30 or so. I do a lot of cooking out of the magazine's Gourmet EveryDay section.