• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Going to Brisvegas in January

Syrah

We're heading up to Brisbane for a short holiday in January and I'd like suggestions on where to eat. We are staying in Fortitude Valley which I'm told is prime position for China town which can only be good. Is there anything else that is a must eat??

TIA!

Check out the pinned Australian Discussions thread at the top of the forum, Syrah. There is a link to a short thread on Brisbane dining. A little old, but may still prove useful.

Do let us know.

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

Just got this from a colleague in Brisbane:

Two at 2 Edward Street, City has a good reputation

Siggi's at the Port Office at the Stamford Plaza, Cnr Edward and Margaret St is also very good

Circa at 483 Adelaide Street was runner up - Australian Restaurant of the Year

Gianni at 12 Edward St looks promising with a couple of awards in 2004

Augustine's on George at cnr George and Margaret St, City.

Summit Restaurant at Mt Cootha looks OK but you would go there for the view of the city.

Pier Nine at Eagle Street Pier, City  has always been good for seafood etc

Brett's Wharf , 449 Kingsford Smith Drive is a city cat ferry trip from the city and is known for its seafood.

Down on the Boardwalk at South Bank is also good value and fun as is Gray Street a couple of roads back from South Bank.  Variety of restaurants available. 

Trip report required!

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

We were in Brisbane for a couple of days in September. Had dinner at Pier Nine which did not disappoint (as per usual) and then the next night went to Cha Cha Char (just across the way) as the boy loves it there. Had a great meal with a perfectly prepared eye fillet and gorgeous asparagus. I also had these foie gras stuffed dates that were amazing (I think they were on the menu with the duck but got some by themselves as I wanted to taste them but didn't feel like duck).

We also had a really good lunch at the Carindale Hotel click, which used to be our local when we lived there. The boy loves the steak (shock :shock: ) and the beer battered chips with aioli. I like the asparagus in preserved lemon butter and always find something good on the menu. The woodfired pizzas are quite good too and we tried the duck one last time - rather nice. Not in town obviously, but still good.