• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Maze: London

went there as well last sunday with a friend. the onion squash soup is actually really amazing. apart from the overcooked partridge i didn't find any faults. i should have sent back that partridge....

Edited by Toufas (log)

I'm quite interested in this place in general, but would anyone be able to tell me if they still rush people out as soon as possible? If it is the way they play, I can't be asked to go there. If however, you have enough time to eat in a relaxed way, then it would warrant a visit.

At lunchtime, they don't rush you out at all, unless starting to play awful music at about 2.30pm is their way of rusning out any customer with good musical taste. Don't know about evenings, but would avoid the place then because of the music anyway. Lunch is definately the time to go.

Perhaps my memory is failing me, but wasn't Ramsay once on record on one of those Kitchen Nightmares as saying that music in restaurants is a no-no?

I have to say that for me that I have yet to attend any restaurant where background music has been a positive experience. My first thought is "you have no atmosphere so feel the need to replace it with music".

Cheers, Howard

Anybody know of a good place to go for a pre lunch drink within walking distance from maze?

I can suggest that you are not tempted by Grosvenor House that, since its takeover by Marriott, has transformed itself into a den of mediocrity.

Claridges is an obvious choice. But how about Selfridges where you can pick up a posh bottle from their extensive offy collection and bay a tenner corkage?

Cheers, Howard

the audley on the corner of south audley street and mount street.

it's just a boozer but it is in walking distance of maze, and unlike maze it's not £6 for a bottle of peroni, so if you're thirsty types you might want a few pre-lunch liveners there.

you don't win friends with salad

• 3 months later...

well fornicate me! i wonder what he will bring to his new place. exciting times. i enjoyed the food at maze but never the rest of it. i hate to say it but it sounds like good news to me. love to know what he will do on his own.