• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vegetate

Faboo

Six weeks after their opening, I finally made it to Vegetate..

gallery_32394_1312_729488.jpg

The minimalist decor is brightened w/whimsical artwork...

gallery_32394_1312_293597.jpg

This kid doesn't know how lucky she is! Her parent's ordered her the Chocolate French Toast..

gallery_32394_1312_123825.jpg

I had the Scrambled Tofu w/Potatoes, Bacon & Creamy Grits..

gallery_32394_1312_197128.jpg

Tofu Scramble & Potatoes

gallery_32394_1312_765637.jpg

Creamy Grits

gallery_32394_1312_413375.jpg

If they'd had more food made up at the time, I'd have taken some to go. I'll be back for more.

"Don't be afraid of flavor" -- Tyler Florence

Six weeks after their opening, I finally made it to Vegetate..

gallery_32394_1312_729488.jpg

The minimalist decor is brightened w/whimsical artwork...

gallery_32394_1312_293597.jpg

This kid doesn't know how lucky she is! Her parent's ordered her the Chocolate French Toast..

gallery_32394_1312_123825.jpg

I had the Scrambled Tofu w/Potatoes, Bacon & Creamy Grits..

gallery_32394_1312_197128.jpg

Tofu Scramble & Potatoes

gallery_32394_1312_765637.jpg

Creamy Grits

gallery_32394_1312_413375.jpg

If they'd had more food made up at the time, I'd have taken some to go. I'll be back for more.

Thanks for the report Faboo. Is this restaurant considered vegan? If so, then obviously no eggs, butter, cheeses, cream, etc. I'm an omnivore but I truly enjoy vegetarian fare. I prefer straight up vegetarian, not "mock" meat, bacon, eggs, and so forth.

Let us know if you conduct any further research.

Best to you and your family.

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

Wow! This is my best posting to date! Thank you Vegetate! :laugh:

It definitely wasn't real bacon. It was smoked tofu. Did not taste like real bacon but did taste good. The only "meat" in the place were the people :wink:

The service was excellent! They have a great guy behind the bar who will really shine once they get their liquor license. Hopefully this week. The people I talked to were very cool. The whole vibe there is mellow. There were some local after- church folk w/all their kids dressed up which was really nice to see.

The prices...well I thought they were sorta high personally, but I dont have any comparable dining experience in that neighborhood. I chose to order the entree ($10) and two sides because I wanted to try as many things on the menu that I could. The entree alone was more than enough food. So I guess it depends on your financial situation if you think the prices are high or not. If you can afford to live nearby, you can afford to eat there, let's say that.

The menu notates the vegan items, but as said, everything is vegetarian. They dont do the mock meat thing that so many people dislike. (I like mock meat :smile: ). I intend to conduct more research, hopefully at dinner time.

Thanks all for your responses :biggrin:

If they don't do mock meat, then what is tofu bacon?  :blink:

By mock meat I mean when the soy is made to look as much like

real meat as possible. Vegetate's tofu "bacon" didn't look like or

taste much like real bacon other than being in flat strips.