• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PA Dutch Market

Daniel

Pennsylvania Dutch Farmers Market

4437 Route 27 Princeton NJ

This Market is a favorite of my family's.. Because my mother grew up with these type of foods and people this is really special for us.. The foods here takes me back to memories of her parents and family and being there for holidays and special times..

Though commercial by there standards, the products here are still hand made using the tradition and care of there culture.. They have everything here.. From prepared foods, to deli and butchers, to dairy products and baked goods.. Its all fantastic,fresh, and natural.. This is my health food store..

gallery_15057_2056_756427.jpg

As luck would have it.. Yesterday was the last Saturday of the month so it was Pig Roast..

gallery_15057_2056_1082413.jpg

This meant on top of serving burgers,fries,hot dogs and lemonades at the grill they also served pork sandwiches.. Pretty good stuff.. Not smokey, but cooked well with a sweet sauce..

gallery_15057_2056_314844.jpg

After picking up my sandwich I went to the prepared food section.. Here they have a wide range of cooked meat items and sides..You can order these to stay or go by the 1/4 pound.. Some sides we ordered were mac and cheese, spinach souffle, potato ogratin, and some green bean with swiss cheese..

gallery_15057_2056_1061441.jpg

For dessert we had pretzels.. Made and cooked right in front of you.. These are fantastic..

gallery_15057_2056_1035673.jpg

These things are butter pretzels.. The best I have had.. A pastry almost, you squeeze them and the fresh butter oozes out..

gallery_15057_2056_256979.jpg

Didnt get any this time, but here are the selections of homemade ice creams..

gallery_15057_2056_283786.jpg

After lunch we walked around.. I walked passed the butcher.. He had beautiful pork bellies.. Shaved pork butt, and a gorgeous smoked hocks..

gallery_15057_2056_484857.jpg

I was on my way to Griggstown Quail Farm so I did buy much besides this turkey bacon..

gallery_15057_2056_539797.jpg

I didnt like the fact that it was pre-sliced.. So were there other cold cuts.. Oh well amazing Summer Sausage and Ring Bologna..

gallery_15057_2056_653043.jpg

The have a great selection of dry goods.. I bought rice flour, sweet dried corn, and dried apples..

gallery_15057_2056_452672.jpg

They also have great baked goods.. I often get the homemade potato chips.. I have had a lot of their cakes and pies. I love the pumpkin roll.. I, despite the haters, love Shoefly Pie. They have a good version..

Here is a quick rundown on a few options..

Red Velvet

gallery_15057_2056_8925.jpg

Shoe Fly :

gallery_15057_2056_792491.jpg

Pumpkin Cake:

gallery_15057_2056_900602.jpg

Molasses Cookies

gallery_15057_2056_77794.jpg

Mousse Pie:

gallery_15057_2056_748629.jpg

The cheese sections alone would be 20 photos. This is a great place..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Reading Terminal is actually a big one of these.. And these are actually a big version of a regular market.. Reading is way more sophisticated and wordly.. With strong Italian and Asian influences that dont exist at the Dutch Market..

In terms of finding the market you will have to Mapquest it.. Either use Princeton or Kingston as the town.. Open Thursday thru Sat..

Did they have souse and scrapple?

Daniel,

You missed the most important question! Do they have scrapple??

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Thats funny.. My mother razzed me as I left the Market for not buying scrapple.. She told me I loved it as a kid.. I didnt buy scrapple, its one of those things that I need to prepare for.. I might do my own private Scrapple Fest..

Mmmmm...the pretzels looks just like the ones from Fisher's at Reading Terminal. Aren't those just the best! :wub:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

It's about 2-3 miles north of Princeton, past Raymond Road and across from the Mosque.

They do, however, use canned fruits in their baking. I find much of the home baked selections to be overly sweet for my tastes..the pretzels are great. they have lots of country cuts of meat that you don't find ouside a butchers, which is great... meaty soup bones, bacons, shanks, etc. Most of the cheeses are processed.."chedar horseradish" that kind of thing, but very tasty. they have fresh creamed butter as well.

Daniel gave a great overview..they also have an extensive selection of pickled food...relishes, corn salads, beans of every type.

It's about 2-3 miles north of Princeton, past Raymond Road and across from the Mosque.

Most of the cheeses are processed.."chedar horseradish" that kind of thing, but very tasty.  they have fresh creamed butter as well.

Really, I didnt know that... :biggrin: I also have the butter too..

gallery_15057_2056_97438.jpg

Thats funny.. My mother razzed me as I left the Market for not buying scrapple.. She told me I loved it as a kid.. I didnt buy scrapple, its one of those things that I need to prepare for..  I might do my own private Scrapple Fest..

This places ROCKS, and just 11 miles from my home! Best scrapple I've found anywhere in NJ, including Cartlidge's Butcher in the Trenton Farmers Market.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"