• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

DC's Dead Restaurants

Busboy

:sad: Boo hoo. I miss Le Rivage. It was on the waterfront, above the DC Yacht Club. Lovely French food and wine with lovely service. Then the Yacht Club decided to expand and booted them out.  :sad:

And the only consistently good food near the Arena Stage.

Come to think of it, I haven't been back to the Arena since it closed...

More late golden oldies:

Sans Souci

Maison Blanche

Rive Gauche

Jean-Pierre

Jockey Club

Golden Bull (prime rib including salad/soup and dessert for $15)

Maison des Crepes

La Niçoise (with waiters on roller-skates!)

Café de Paris (for late-late night)

Tiberio

Romeo and Juliet (Roberto Donna's first gig)

original Galileo (where Al Tiramisu is now)

Jacqueline's

Trader Vic's (awesome poo-poo platter!)

Windows

BTW: Cantina d'Italia was closed on Saturday and Sunday because Joseph, the owner, couldn't stand the weekend suburban crowd. He put a sign on the door every Saturday recommending all his neighbor restaurants. He also blasted opera music. You had to love that place.

Mark

It was horrible in some respects but I confess the place I really miss is Pied de Cochon!

Started going there in high school. Sometimes we'd skip class and goof off in Georgetown for the day. Or maybe go to the Biograph or Key for a movie followed by Pied de Cochon. We'd order coffee and smoke cigarettes and pretend we were French. Stuck up little teenagers.

Later, I moved to Georgetown for school and began to go more often. Many late nights ended there with eggs benedict. And many Sunday mornings/afternoons began with the Post and their early bird special.

I especially loved all the black and white photos of groovy people in the 70's on the wall. There was one photo in particular that always caught my attention. A guy in a fedora and make up, full David Bowie in the Ziggy Stardust days mode. I wonder sometimes what happened to all those photos. And the plaque commemorating some Soviet defector.

I haven't lived in Georgetown in ages and I almost never make it over there these days. I was very sad to see Pied de Cochon was gone. Thank God Billy Martin's and Cappucino's pizza are still there. What about Fetoosh?

"Well, there's egg and bacon; egg sausage and bacon; egg and spam; egg bacon and spam; egg bacon sausage and spam; spam bacon sausage and spam; spam egg spam spam bacon and spam; spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam; spam spam spam egg and spam; spam spam spam spam spam spam baked beans spam spam spam or Lobster Thermidor a Crevette with a mornay sauce served in a Provencale manner with shallots and aubergines garnished with truffle pate, brandy and with a fried egg on top and spam. "

I think Fettoosh is gone too.

Pied de Cochon was for 2am, after a show or dancing at Poseurs or the midnight showing of Rocky Horror at the Key theater. I don't think I ever ordered anything but eggs benedict and frites, coffee and booze. It's a Five guys now, right?

Edited by hjshorter (log)

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

It was horrible in some respects but I confess the place I really miss is Pied de Cochon!

Started going there in high school. Sometimes we'd skip class and goof off in Georgetown for the day. Or maybe go to the Biograph or Key for a movie followed by Pied de Cochon. We'd order coffee and smoke cigarettes and pretend we were French. Stuck up little teenagers.

Later, I moved to Georgetown for school and began to go more often. Many late nights ended there with eggs benedict. And many Sunday mornings/afternoons began with the Post and their early bird special.

I especially loved all the black and white photos of groovy people in the 70's on the wall. There was one photo in particular that always caught my attention. A guy in a fedora and make up, full David Bowie in the Ziggy Stardust days mode. I wonder sometimes what happened to all those photos. And the plaque commemorating some Soviet defector.

I haven't lived in Georgetown in ages and I almost never make it over there these days. I was very sad to see Pied de Cochon was gone. Thank God Billy Martin's and Cappucino's pizza are still there. What about Fetoosh?

Yves opened Au Pied Bistro next to the CVS on M St. at 29th.

Mark

I think Fettoosh is gone too.
I could have sworn it was open when we walked by last Saturday, but maybe I just saw the sign and assumed the next open door was Fettoosh. In any case, the neon sign is still there and turned on.
(Pied de Cochon)'s a Five guys now, right?

Yup. That block now smells of french fries (which I suppose is better than various other things it could smell of).
"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

• 2 weeks later...

Years ago there was a place out on Georgia Ave just below Olney called the Silo. We used to go every Wednesday night when the kid was little for babyback ribs, a great salad bar (with the best marinated mushrooms in the world) and a baked potato for about $7.95. Friendly folks, well respected in the community, and even had live music in the evenings. When the land got sold (still nothing there) they decided that they had had enough of not ever being home. But I miss it.

• 10 months later...

Cleveland Park restaurants...

I felt a small pang when the Roma closed (one of my first "grown-up" dates happened there, with all the dead animals staring down at me.

Eddie's Uptown Pizzaria gets a thought from me occasionally, because pizza that craptacular deserves to be immortalized in memory.

But "Retching" Palace? Nothing.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Years ago there was a place out on Georgia Ave just below Olney called the Silo.  We used to go every Wednesday night when the kid was little for babyback ribs, a great salad bar (with the best marinated mushrooms in the world) and a baked potato for about $7.95.  Friendly folks, well respected in the community, and even had live music in the evenings.  When the land got sold (still nothing there) they decided that they had had enough of not ever being home.  But I miss it.

I remember the Silo - scene of yet another disastrous date (I had quite a few of those :biggrin: ). An old boyfriend took me to a party there, and then left me to talk to his most recent ex-girlfriend while he went out to admire someone's Corvette. There was a sandwich place next door that I can't remember the name of.

Anyway, I drove by not too long ago and I think a little strip mall is going in that space. Just what Olney needs. :hmmm:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I'm not dead yet!  I'd feel worse if the food wasn't so bad. Nonetheless, like Gerald Ford, (who probably ate there) deserving of a moment of respect.

AV's is gone too, right?

Per the Italian sounding guy who just answered the phone, AV will be open until the end of July.

Thanks,

Kevin

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

Anyway, I drove by not too long ago and I think a little strip mall is going in that space.  Just what Olney needs.  :hmmm:

While I agree that Olney doesn't need another strip mall, or the Starbucks that is going in there, I am interested in seeing what the Roots Market will be like. I guess Olney is upscale enough to support an Organic market. They sure could use another nice restaurant or two.

Anyway, I drove by not too long ago and I think a little strip mall is going in that space.  Just what Olney needs.  :hmmm:

While I agree that Olney doesn't need another strip mall, or the Starbucks that is going in there, I am interested in seeing what the Roots Market will be like. I guess Olney is upscale enough to support an Organic market. They sure could use another nice restaurant or two.

Agreed.

I'm curious about the market - no sign for it the last time I was through. Here's their website.

Now what was the name of the sandwich place next to the Silo? It's still bugging me. :smile:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Mr T's! That's the name of the place! (Whoo hoo - I'm not that forgetful.) :laugh:

Speaking of Olney, the Olney House Inn was AWESOME in that old school way. I loved that place. It was a cute and charming little homestyle restaurant that had a very nice staff. Granted the food was not haute cuisine or like the other culinary gems in the DC area but dang it, it was solid, filling and tasty.

Too bad it got replaced by Retucci's. Bleah. :wacko:

Edited by Gastro888 (log)

Olney Ale House?  The one on 108?  No, it's still there.  Why, I don't know.  That place does not have good food at all.

I have yet to figure out why that place does such a good business other than the fact that Olney just does not have as many restaurants as the area and income can support and it is one place where you can eat outside when the weather is nice. The food is mediocre at best. I guess it does much of its business selling beer. My son likes thier burgers however, but not enough to make a trip there when there are other places to go.

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings

My friend is a D.C. transplant now living at the shore(Rehoboth Beach)Would like to enquire if the Two Quail is still in operation?

thanks in advance

Phifly

"Food is our common ground,a universal experience"

James Beard

Greetings

My friend is a D.C. transplant now living at the shore(Rehoboth Beach)Would like to enquire if the Two Quail is still in operation?

thanks in advance

Phifly

It's still open, but I wouldn't recommend it. Click for info.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Greetings

thanks in advance

Phifly

Thank you!!

"Food is our common ground,a universal experience"

James Beard