• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Uncelebratory Eats During the Holidays

Pontormo

Okay, I admit it.

I had another slice of pumpkin pie for lunch, ice cold straight from the fridge.

I loved it. There are only two more slices left on the pie that I made strictly for myself and I am going to miss it when it's gone. It's true.

BUT, I have to say that all this holiday stuff, news stories on Black Friday and Cyber Monday, pressures to purchase and present, lists, plans, conversations, bills, and now, here on eGullet, well, it is kinda getting to me :wacko:

"Enough already!" :angry: part of me says. Well, A LOT of me says, sorry, you guys. :unsure: (I'd blush if I could.) :rolleyes:

When it comes down to it, I will probably spend at least a day or two looking for new cookie recipes, bake something from Ling and send off tins to harried relatives and friends who I know will appreciate them. Once I start, I may actually have fun.

However, I have lost that loving feeling when it comes to the culinary holiday spirit...and not even spirits will do.

I just want to curl up with a nice book, avoiding all those commercials on T.V. No Bing, Bach, not Handel and maybe some naughty Nellie McKay. When I sleep, I'd like to count sheep and roast one or two...but no visions of sugarplums, please.

Do I have company here?

If so, what do you do to temper the hype and get through the days from November 27 through January 1...that is, gastronomically speaking?

Kosher Chinese is an obvious answer.

Any other suggestions, musings, or wisdom to share?

Plans, alternatives, unholiday menus or edible therapies for the mind, body and spirit?

Edited by Pontormo (log)

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

I'm savoring this time before Christmas and New Year's, taking it slowly and doing what I like. I'm no no rush at all to start celebrating Winter, especially since it's still well into Autumn and all of this season's golden mellowness. No tree, no decorating, no nothing at all until December 6th. Then we usher in Christmas with drinks and music, just me and my husband. It's our anniversary, so we spend the day together, enjoying each other and the richness brought to both of our lives by the other. After that, we make presents, bake, and revel in the season.

As in all things, there really are no rules. Go about this season the way that you like it best and ignore any suggestions or admonishments to do differently. Advertizing exists only to sell things, and the lists and plans here are made out of curiousity more than any pressure for you to do the same. I have no set plan for Christmas dinner other than the things I know I'll enjoy then (any excuse for prime rib), and will plan later when it feels like something exciting and fun.

Plan a menu of things that appeal right now, right this moment. Ignore any outside influences and make your own end of November celebration. Then see how you feel and go from there. Remember that this is your season, this is your celebration. Make it, claim it, and have fun.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Undeck the wreathed and piney halls, say I!

Festoon the tree the Eve before the Day

And beckon Sir John to spread his wings and fly.

Snatch first the apple twixt guanciale

Best to munch a different symbol, eh?

Edited to alter rhyme scheme & format. To hell with meter.

Edited by Pontormo (log)

I find that the act of playing klezmer music very loud (on a CD, silly, not all on your own) is the only way to inspire the right sort of mood for Christmas cookery.

It works so very well with turkey. Just imagine how much more marvellous it would be with a pig in hand.

Indeed, the entire thing is so fulfilling that it is almost worth moving to a quiet surburban neighborhood to enjoy the full effect as the music and savory aromas waft out to the surrounding neighbors as they sip their tall gin and tonics in anticipation of Santa and his elves!

Wow!!! :shock:

I wonder what significance radishes have!?! Those are amazing!

Actually, I was thinking of some antidotes to the festivities...something to detox--not quite the word I am looking for--with...something soothing and altogether unlike hot cider with cinnamon or mulled wine or eggnog.

Since I obviously lack Tejon*'s calm and sensible attitude, I need a way to be unreminded of the season, or at least help in taking a break from it. And please, don't suggest those instant coffees that transport you to Vienna or Paris.

Goat seems a bit too much of a bother, feast like, though I am sure it's an everyday kind of thing for many.

*Happy almost anniversary! How nice to have a PERSONAL reason to enjoy the change from autumn to winter!

All right, what foods and drinks feel like the antithesis of Christmas and Winter revelry to me?

Pina Coladas

Mint Juleps

Salads filled with crisp vegetables

Ice cream sundaes

Fried foods (battered Mars bars, anyone?)

Carnitas (isn't everything better with pork?)

Hamburgers with all the fixings (see if you can find the ultimate grind and grill technique, or go for sliders with lots of onions)

Oh, wait, you said antidotes:

Shabu Shabu or hot pot with lots of vegetables and lean meats, with broth to sip afterwards

Soup in general, especially anything broth based

Congee is a universal restorative, and you can top it however you like

Softly scrambled eggs with freshly squeezed orange juice

A pile of steamed asparagus with melted butter and sea salt

Dal with pillowy basmati rice and chutney

* Thanks :smile:. We love the season and decided to get married in the midst of everything, right in between both of our birthdays as well. The only way to get through it all (Thanksgiving, my birthday, anniversary, his birthday, Christmas, then New Year) is to take a very relaxed attitude and just let it all flow.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Sometimes we do a "summer in winter" meal to break up the long winter, and I suppose this would really work well for Christmas or New Year's Eve.

Grilled meat, poultry or seafood of your choice, grilled vegetables, a pitcher of sangria, margaritas or some cold beer.

Fresh fruit for dessert, and it almost feels like we're back at our summer cottage. Sometimes we even turn the heat up a little in the house and wear shorts or build a fire in the fireplace and pretend it's an outdoor campfire.

My kids want to do fondue on Christmas Eve, so we'll do that, but maybe on New Year's Eve we'll turn our house into summer again. We even roasted marshmallows in our fireplace, just like around the campfire.

It was great fun.

I don't mind the rat race, but I'd like more cheese.

Travel.

Here here! You can come visit Australia, or just crank up the heat and have Xmas Dinner Aussie Style:

cool cooked prawns, in a salad or as prawn cocktail with avocado, lettuce, and cocktail sauce

cold roast chicken or turkey

ham

lots of salads...

christmas cake

We're opting out of visiting family this year and spending some time at home. I'm thinking of making a festive Eastern European meal with infused vodkas and chilled barscz.

Would you believe I have a bright yellow tray that makes ice cubes in the shape of Australia, sent all the way from Oz in a food blog package?

I could pretend the wind outside isn't rattling the window panes and make iced tea, but it's time to shop for groceries.

Now for my wool coat, scarf and thick lined gloves...

However, I have lost that loving feeling when it comes to the culinary holiday spirit...and not even spirits will do.

I just want to curl up with a nice book, avoiding all those commercials on T.V. No Bing, Bach, not Handel and maybe some naughty Nellie McKay.  When I sleep, I'd like to count sheep and roast one or two...but no visions of sugarplums, please.

Do I have company here?

Yes, I'm right with you.

I do not like this time of year. There's too much pressure - to cook the Christmas food, to buy the Christmas presents, to have the perfect celebratory gatherings with your perfect looking friends and family. last year 3 of my friends had huge rows with their parents on Christmas day. Too much pressure...

The supermarkets that have all those weird and expensive ingredients on the shelves that no-one should buy but that you feel you should buy "because it's the season".

I like to throw a party on a dark weekend in January, just because I want to see my friends, not because it's Christmas.

I like to roast a couple of pastridges on an ordinary November Saturday just because I feel like splurging. Not because it's Christmas.

This year I am going to:

throw a party on the 24th, for about 15-20 people. I am only going to do very basic, good, simple food. Maybe just a big pot of soup and a salad. Or pasta, homemade pizza, something like that.

After that we're going to escape to the Belgian countryside where friends have rented a little house. A couple of days of good wine (he's a wine seller) and homely food by the fireplace.

And then it's January, I love January, the blank canvas of the year stretching before you, so many possibilities and choices.

How lovely!

Thanks for the empathy and for the wonderful vision of a quiet way to end the year with friends away from the city and shops...and for the glimpse forward.

A simple bowl of soup does great things. Today's: minestrone made with chick peas, cannellini, farro and Italian sausage, Savoy cabbage, carrots, onions, celery and just a touch of tomato paste, garlic, olive oil and sage.

Bread's in the oven. Snow is coating the trees.

I start Christmas shopping in January and am usually through by Thanksgiving. About 90% of my gifts are ordered online so I don't have to fight crowds in stores.

I haven't watched TV news or read newspapers for about 15 years; if something really important happens, I'll hear about it. Otherwise, I don't need to make myself depressed and angry.

I've always dreamed of a fairyland Christmas, where someone plied me with everything I want. That never happened until I realized that the only person who can do that for me, is me.

Right now I'm not feeling any pressure, ready to start cooking for the holidays and listening to Christmas carols while I do. For me, Christmas is a celebration of the greatest miracle on earth, the birth of a baby. Any baby and every baby.

No humbug here.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

• 1 year later...
I start Christmas shopping in January and am usually through by Thanksgiving.  About 90% of my gifts are ordered online so I don't have to fight crowds in stores.

I haven't watched TV news or read newspapers for about 15 years; if something really important happens, I'll hear about it.  Otherwise, I don't need to make myself depressed and angry. 

I've always dreamed of a fairyland Christmas, where someone plied me with everything I want.  That never happened until I realized that the only person who can do that for me, is me.

Right now I'm not feeling any pressure, ready to start cooking for the holidays and listening to Christmas carols while I do.  For me, Christmas is a celebration of the greatest miracle on earth, the birth of a baby.  Any baby and every baby.

No humbug here.

You know, I was doing the whole Christmas-stress-out thing until I read this..so true your words.

I am with the OP on this. So far I have baked, cooked, tore a muscle in my hip shopping, headaches. And for what??? All reaching for the ideal holiday that it seems no one ever has, really, now that I think about it. It's early morning Christmas eve as I type this and I think from this point forward I am going to just take it easy. Rest, curl up with a good book. Ring in the new year with peace and celebrate my way.

Thanks for this thread.....

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

For us, we just bought one big toy for our kids (ages 11 and 6) and none for me and my hubby. We have all want and need and have just settled to preparing what we WANT for Christmas dinner.

Christmas lunch is mapo tofu with shrimp fritters as a side dish.

Christmas dinner is roast beef with mashed taters and gravy.

Now how easy is that?

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Will you make that mead? It's not hard to make, but needs a full year from bottling time before it's drinkable.

I might do that, Miriam. :biggrin:

It really was just an excuse to bump up the thread (plus the monk's face made me giggle a bit when it popped up before me) but it seems like a very nice thing.

Wish I had some now. :wink: Right now.

Jolly holidays, all! :smile:

I've decided that the thing that bothers me about the "holidays" is mostly the glut.

So much, too much. A celebration of excess when already *I* feel as if I live daily with more than enough.

This year we made some changes. I didn't reduce the number of the children's gifts, but started the holiday last night, pretending to find them around the house and saying that Santa must have dropped them early by mistake. (Yes, they are old enough to know who Santa is. . :biggrin: ).

They adore stuffed shells, so that's what we had for Christmas Eve supper last night. We ate our dessert first, though, which was a caramel-apple pie. No good reason, except we wanted to. Why wait for dessert? Why?

Today for the "big" dinner we started the same way. Dessert first. Fresh pineapple and some chocolate eclairs. Then we felt like more sweets so we ate some frozen strawberry fruit bars.

Soon the next part of "Christmas dinner" will happen. Veggies. Roast acorn squash with cranberry filling. . .asparagus with hollandaise. . . .a cucumber salad. . .portobello mushrooms sauteed with scallions and marsala. . .some endive spears just plain. . .roast red peppers with garlic and oregano. On the table, set to nibble. For a while. For whenever one is hungry.

Inbetween we putter and open gifts and do things and be lazy, and some dishes are washed etc etc. It is very relaxing, and quite different from trying to pull the whole thing together in a certain way at a certain time all at once.

Later, we'll have some turkey cutlets milanese with italian sausage-apple stuffing. If we're still hungry. That might be pretty late. Maybe a movie inbetween. A glass of wine for Mom. . .

The day will end, of course, with more desserts. Start with dessert, end with dessert. It's the best way to be. :smile: Chocolate laced zabaione, anyone?

Why not. There are no Pilgrims around here, nor those fellows from the painting of The Last Supper. Here, we can do what we please. :wink: