• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

IPA as Cancer Treatment

jsolomon

Anti-cancer Compound In Beer Gaining Interest

"Quite a bit is now known about the biological mechanism of action of this compound and the ways it may help prevent cancer or have other metabolic value. But even before most of those studies have been completed, efforts are under way to isolate and market it as a food supplement. A "health beer" with enhanced levels of the compound is already being developed."
It clearly has some interesting cancer chemopreventive properties, and the only way people are getting any of it right now is through beer consumption.
Xanthohumol also appears to have a role as a fairly powerful antioxidant - even more than vitamin E. And it has shown the ability to reduce the oxidation of LDL, or bad cholesterol.

Sounds like it's a miracle cure, all right, but...double link from Slashdot, so you know it's true.

Edited by jsolomon (log)

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Xanthohumol sure sounds like good stuff to me, seriously. With my health history, I'm a perfect candidate for it. I'm glad I love the taste of hops as much as I do. Has anyone heard more on any of "health beers" that are being developed?

Now if only I could be part of a research project wherein they pay for supplies of all the hop monster IPAs I like. :biggrin:

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Susan...I am a firm believer that beer improves the brain! Let me explain by using nature as an example: When a pride of lions follow, say, a herd of wildebeest, they pick off the weak and the lame ones, thereby improving the rest of the herd. When you drink beer, the alcohol kills off the weak and lame brain cells, thereby improving the rest of your brain!!!

I'd like to chat more but I have to go improve my brain some more!!!