• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookies

ALTAF

Cake flour will give you a somewhat tender cookie, but there are a lot of other factors involved. The sugar(brown or white) the fat( butter or shortening) whether it has any liquid in it(milk or water or whatever) and how much you mix the dough, whether it has time to chill in the refrigerator, or is made immediately. Each recipe will have its own characteristics--so what kind of cookie do you want to make, and I can suggest a method to get the results you want.

It's not the destination, but the journey!

I've seen some recipes that call for bread flour for CC cookies (like Alton Brown's "Chewy CC" recipe). I imagine the higher amount of gluten may add to the chewiness? Shortbread, on the other hand, should be tender, which is why I reduce the gluten by cutting the AP flour with cornstarch.

Edited by Ling (log)

I've seen some recipes that call for bread flour for CC cookies (like Alton Brown's "Chewy CC" recipe). I imagine the higher amount of gluten may add to the chewiness?  Shortbread, on the other hand, should be tender, which is why I reduce the gluten by cutting the AP flour with cornstarch.

For shortbread, I use a combination of all purpose and rice flour. 75% AP to 25%rice. I've used volume as well as weight measurement with no appreciable difference. I've tried it with white rice flour and brown rice flour (usually Bob's Red Mill) and both are good. I love the texture from the rice flour. I first learned about this combo in a Craig Claiborne column, NY Times, sometime in the 1970s. I still have the clipping someplace in one of my piles of papers... :hmmm:

Ilene

I've seen some recipes that call for bread flour for CC cookies (like Alton Brown's "Chewy CC" recipe). I imagine the higher amount of gluten may add to the chewiness?  Shortbread, on the other hand, should be tender, which is why I reduce the gluten by cutting the AP flour with cornstarch.

For shortbread, I use a combination of all purpose and rice flour. 75% AP to 25%rice. I've used volume as well as weight measurement with no appreciable difference. I've tried it with white rice flour and brown rice flour (usually Bob's Red Mill) and both are good. I love the texture from the rice flour. I first learned about this combo in a Craig Claiborne column, NY Times, sometime in the 1970s. I still have the clipping someplace in one of my piles of papers... :hmmm:

Yeah, I use bread flour for my chocolate chip cookies as well, per Alton's suggestion. I also use rice flour for my shortbread (I buy it from Trader Joe's or from the Asian supermarket very readily). Got the rice flour suggestion from Marian Burros' Comfort Food Cookbook.

Unbleached AP flour is great for use in chewy type cookies, and bleached AP is good for cookies with a more delicate flavor, or crispy texture. I use a little cornstarch in my shortbread, along with bleached AP so they are really tender. Bread flour will give you a more pronounced chew in chewy type cookies.

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow